Options

WWE Network

Comments

• Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an interesting question. Does anyone here have a wrestling video release in more than 1 format, ie a original VHS release and a DVD release. The only one I have is a VHS of Summerslam 92 and a DVD copy of it from a Silvervision Tagged Classics dvd.

Royal Rumble 1991,1992,Battle Royal At The Albert Hall & UK Rampage 1991 are the only titles that i have on VHS & DVD(Tagged Classics).The rest of the Silver Vision titles i have are just on VHS.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    The Network has to be a long term project.

The cost and the work needed to convert it so it can go on The Network means it has too done over time not after only a year.

Pleasing everyone with what they put on each month will be impossible.

When the Network launched, wouldn't it have made more sense to convert the attitude era Raw and Smackdown episodes instead of the ones from 2012 and 2013?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an interesting question. Does anyone here have a wrestling video release in more than 1 format, ie a original VHS release and a DVD release. The only one I have is a VHS of Summerslam 92 and a DVD copy of it from a Silvervision Tagged Classics dvd.

I got rid of my old WWE VHS collection when I replaced them with the tagged classics DVD's.

Does anyone know why the VHS versions have a different age rating to the Tagged Classics ones? The content is identical, so why the different age rating?
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got rid of my old WWE VHS collection when I replaced them with the tagged classics DVD's.

Does anyone know why the VHS versions have a different age rating to the Tagged Classics ones? The content is identical, so why the different age rating?

The BBFC have become more relaxed over the years when it comes to ratings. So a show like SummerSlam 88 for example originally got a 15 rating on VHS would be reassessed and given a PG 15 years later when released on DVD.
  • Options
    Dax 21Dax 21 Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Different time that's just it
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the Network launched, wouldn't it have made more sense to convert the attitude era Raw and Smackdown episodes instead of the ones from 2012 and 2013?

2012 and 2013 do not need converting as they had already made the switch to digital HD camera's. Attitude Era stuff did not use them as they were not available at that time, thus you have the long process of converting from old tape based footage to digital, and upscale conversion to HD if they choose to do so.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have quite a few WCW events on dvd and VHS.

I went to America when I was younger, and bought some VHS ones not knowing at the time that they wouldn't work over here, so I bought them on DVD when I could so I could watch them here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2012 and 2013 do not need converting as they had already made the switch to digital HD camera's. Attitude Era stuff did not use them as they were not available at that time, thus you have the long process of converting from old tape based footage to digital, and upscale conversion to HD if they choose to do so.

If that's the case, why haven't the Raw and Smackdown episodes from 2008 to 2011 been added as well? Just one episode from that period is currently available on the Network.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's the case, why haven't the Raw and Smackdown episodes from 2008 to 2011 been added as well?
    Because they aren't going to add everything immediately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Because they aren't going to add everything immediately.

They could have at least added more than a single Raw episode from that period though.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have at least added more than a single Raw episode from that period though.
    They could have done any number of things that they haven't.

By and large I think they have the right strategy when it comes to adding the old episodes of the TV shows. It needs to be a slow and steady process rather than just dumping everything at once. I also like that its mostly being done chronologically. There's maybe a case that they're moving a little too slowly though I suppose.

I however am more curious about people's thoughts on the original WWE Network content.

Excluding NXT from this discussion what are people making of the original stuff they're creating for the Network? Equally what kind of original content would you like to see them producing?
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    I liked WWE 24 but think it could have been 15-30 minutes longer and probably won't be watching the Booker episode lol. WWE Rivalries and Countdown are both fun shows to watch, Countdown is more of a time killer when nothing is on TV.

I think a weekly talk show, with viewer interaction could be good. Have Cole extend his YouTube interview to 30 minutes for a weekly slot too, not every week with Triple H either (but continue to do the weekly HHH ones on YouTube. If they are going to #GiveDivasAChance, and actually give them a chance, run a 30 minute Divas show once a week.

Maybe a Best Of WWE [Pay Per View name here] show to run the week of a PPV but I think go-home week should be dedicated to that show's history.

There are so many avenues they could go down, I wouldn't mind a second season of Legends House either which was quite fun. Maybe do a themed season like DX vs nWo with Hogan, Nash, Hall, HBK, New Age Outlaws.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hollie reality tv needs to stop!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's fine if that's your opinion lol, I'm quite happy to watch well made TV.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeh good....you agree then lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well no. I don't.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have quite a few WCW events on dvd and VHS.

I went to America when I was younger, and bought some VHS ones not knowing at the time that they wouldn't work over here, so I bought them on DVD when I could so I could watch them here!

Wouldn't it of just been cheaper to buy a VHS player from the US?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bret Hart The Dungeon Collection is now available on demand through the WWE Beyond The Ring section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could have done any number of things that they haven't.

By and large I think they have the right strategy when it comes to adding the old episodes of the TV shows. It needs to be a slow and steady process rather than just dumping everything at once. I also like that its mostly being done chronologically. There's maybe a case that they're moving a little too slowly though I suppose.

I however am more curious about people's thoughts on the original WWE Network content.

Excluding NXT from this discussion what are people making of the original stuff they're creating for the Network? Equally what kind of original content would you like to see them producing?

I'd like to see a documenary series following a wrestler on the road, where they show what their life is like travelling to and from arenas and what they are doing backstage during Raw.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like more Legend's House. Really fun stuff and they could get another 4 or 5 seasons out of it quite easily.

More Austin bi-monthly interviews. I know he's interviewed lots of people on his podcast, but the video element and WWE production values give it something different. I'd love to see interviews with The Undertaker, Stephanie Levesque, The Rock etc.

A stand-up comedy show featuring up and coming stand ups, in addition to past and present WWE superstars. Mick Foley, RVD, William Regal, David Otunga have all had a go at it and would be potential appearances. Might be horrid but what the hell. Or they could just give Scott Steiner the microphone every week to talk about anything and they've got my money.

The company has access to such a rich, underrated library of music due to Jim Johnston, Jimmy Hart and deals with a number of artists. They could do show talking about many of the most memorable compositions, interspersed with with artists and musicians performing WWE Music Group material in front of a small audience. Even do something like the counting down of the best and worst compositions, as voted by the fans on the website.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    I continue to think that its unrealistic to expect every bit of content WWE have to be immediately uploaded to the Network. This is a long term investment on the part of WWE which means they're going to need a range of content they can add years down the road which in turn means there's a load of stuff they can't add now.

They wont add everything. Id love to go on the network one day where they have their entire archives on the Network but I just dont see this happening.

They have plenty of stuff recorded when the camera stop rolling and this will never see the light of day.

Expecting old episodes of WWF Superstars/Challenge to be released is wishful thinking.
  • Options
    stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    Is there any way at all to change the aspect ratio on the Network on a PS4?

Just watching some WrestleMainas over the last few days and it was very annoying having to watch them in 4:3 on a 49 inch tv, having big black lines either side of the picture. Some of the shows it did it on were only filmed in 2002/3 so surely it could be changed back to 16:9?
  • Options
    Dax 21Dax 21 Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu64 wrote: »

Just watching some WrestleMainas over the last few days and it was very annoying having to watch them in 4:3 on a 49 inch tv, having big black lines either side of the picture. Some of the shows it did it on were only filmed in 2002/3 so surely it could be changed back to 16:9?

wwe 1st hd show was January 2008 us tv went widescreen and HD together
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    stu64 wrote: »

Well I get the same thing when I watch old dvds on my big TV but my settings I changed so it stretches the screen and cuts the black bars off however when I watch the network it still shows them.

I dont think really there is any way around it unless you just buy a Now TV box and record stuff yourself to disk and use some PC program to cut the bars off and then reburn it. Yes it wastes alot of disks but no other way around it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently watching Bret Hart The Dungeon Collection. There's a match that involves the Hart Foundation vs The Twin Towers from 1989.The Twin Towers music isn't the Jive Soul Bro but instead it's just some random instrumental music.
    I was going to suggest that there might have been an issue using Jive Soul Bro but it's used on the ppvs on the network.I know Dungeon Collection was originally a dvd/blu-ray release so maybe there was an issue using the music for general release.