Options

Help Installing Geforce 210

Afternoon all,

As you have probably surmised I am having a few problems in getting this successfully installed. I bought myself a new PSU and a new graphics card (the latter with the intention of hooking my PC up to my tv).

Now, the PSU is all up and running smoothly and I'm actually pretty pleased with how quiet it is. :) The graphics card on the other hand is giving me all sorts of problems. I've got experience fitting computer hardware (my PC is home built) but this is the first graphics card I've installed and it's thrown me a little.

It's happily sat in the computer and the fan on it is whirring away so power isn't an issue. However my computer just cannot detect its existence at all. Until now I have just used the on board graphics. My motherboard is the foxcon n15235. I have tried to disable the onboard graphics card via device manager but this has not had the desired effect and I still cannot see the Geforce 210 at all. I've been googling away but just can't find the solution. Also, as the computer is not picking up on the graphics card the cd-rom won't even let me install the drivers for it. :confused:

Any ideas anyone? Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you disabled onboard graphics in the BIOS? Is the card properly seated in the gfx card slot on the mobo?
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    The onboard graphics may have to be disabled in the BIOS, or the graphics card might not be fully seated in its slot.
  • Options
    LiverpoolFCGirlLiverpoolFCGirl Posts: 15,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prankz wrote: »
    Have you disabled onboard graphics in the BIOS? Is the card properly seated in the gfx card slot on the mobo?

Yes the card is properly seated.

With regards to the onboard graphics I'm honestly not sure. :o I have a feeling this is the problem to be honest and I'm having a read up on it now. I can't see where to disable it though when looking at BIOS. The option just seems to be hiding from me. :confused:

Thanks for your help. :) (Also dodgygeeza who I see has also just popped that suggestion on too). Great minds eh? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the card is properly seated.

With regards to the onboard graphics I'm honestly not sure. :o I have a feeling this is the problem to be honest and I'm having a read up on it now. I can't see where to disable it though when looking at BIOS. The option just seems to be hiding from me. :confused:

Thanks for your help. :) (Also dodgygeeza who I see has also just popped that suggestion on too). Great minds eh? ;)

Is this the correct motherboard model no for your foxconn mobo.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000191
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000191

I don't think that can be the right motherboard, because it's only got an AGP graphics slot? :confused:
  • Options
    DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you checked in the BIOS for an option which tells the BIOS which to operate (card or onboard)? Set this from onboard to the card and it may work!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I don't think that can be the right motherboard, because it's only got an AGP graphics slot? :confused:

Yes take your point because the graphics card is a pci-e slot required but putting in the foxconn n15235 doesn't find the board so i could pinpoint where op needs to go to switch from onboard graphics to pci-e graphics card detection. I should have asked for the exact make and model and model no of board really but was on my way out and was to check back later to see if op posted back with correct details.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Well clearly a GeForce 210 (PCI-e) cannot go into a Foxconn n15235 mobo (AGP). The OP must post info on the mobo model he actually has.

Also as he has never fitted a graphics card before, I suspect he may underestimate just how much force is needed to properly seat a graphics card in a PCI-e (or AGP) slot, assuming his mobo does have a PCI-e slot. Just because the fan is running and it looks to be in the slot properly doesn't mean it is in all the way.

Then once the card is in the slot, he'll need to go into the mobo's BIOS options and select the boot/first graphics device as PCI-e rather than Integrated (the actual names may be slightly different but it should be reasonably obvious which setting needs to be changed if you hunt around the various BIOS menus).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone, so sorry I disappeared. I got dragged onto some last minute night shifts. :( I've not had any time to get to the bottom of this so all of your posts are much appreciated. :)
    I believe this is the one:
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000217
    Can you make anything of it at all?

To everyone who has asked if the card is fitted correctly- yes. I checked it about ten times before I even thought of posting on here. There is no way on earth it could be 'forced' in further than it is. Oh, and princegaz, I'm a she. :D

Still no luck finding the correct option in bios but I will hop back in there now and have another look.

Thanks again everyone!
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am just browsing the MB manual, have a look at page 40 (page 47 in PDF), PnP/PCI Configurations, Init Display First. This may be the setting you are looking for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    When you go into your BIOS, go through each option carefully
    You should also find one for your onboard soundcard too and that should give you a clue on what to look for

You need to either disable your onboard graphics or set it to off

Looking at the manual for that motherboard you need to select
    'Integrated Peripherals' this should be the third one down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you guys. :)

I will disappear to give that a go, and report back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is no bios setting it is going to be tricky. With some motherboards you have to change a jumper pin. So for example you have 3 tiny pins and the plastic jumper is on 1-2, to disable it you take it out and put it on 2-3. It is by no means tricky to do, its dead easy but the hard part is finding which jumper set to move - for this you require the exact model of the motherboard and find a manual somewhere which will tell you which pin is for the graphics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you guys. :)

I will disappear to give that a go, and report back.

Hi lLiverpoolFC Girl if you go into your bios and go into pnp\pci configuration click on init display first and choose pci-e from the drop down menu it may be set to onboard or igp by default.

When you reboot the graphics card should post first before your cpu with deatails of your geforce card.

The link below is where you can download your motherboard manual.

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx?models=en-us0000217&category=C000000001&series=en-us0000002&keywords=&sort=Motherboard%20Manual
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok all, problem solved. It's all done.

I'm watching the stuff from my PC on my nice big tele as I type. It was just a matter of finding the correct settings in bios as we thought. I must confess, when I was trying to find them on Saturday I had just done a night shift then too so probably wasn't at my most observant. :o

Thanks so much all. :D