Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    I thought this too re Chrissie and the lump. I immediately thought of her mum (can't remember her name!) and her battle with breast cancer. I was amazed Chrissie didn't refer to it although I guess the quick action she took on finding the lump shows that she was taking no chances with it.

The whole thing just seems to have been another way to show the increasing gap between Chrissie and Sasha. No matter what he does, he can't make her happy. A complete mismatch.

Given that Jac can never escape from her past, I would expect Chrissie and Sasha's break up storyline to include her having an affair, in keeping with her past behaviour.

Collins, hadn't read your last post when I posted previously but think we're basically saying the same thing.

BIB = not sure how I feel about this as wouldn't want Sacha to be hurt in that way (one of my favourites being betrayed is MORE than enough as far as I'm concerned!!) but I'm not sure how else they could work it. Although, tbh I'm not sure that even an affair would quite kill them off as I can see Sacha being able to forgive her*, and the marriage limping on for quite some time after. As I said before, however it finishes, I really think it'll be a long, drawn out process

(* Which I wouldn't be that happy about, despite the fact that I'd be over the moon if Jonny is able to do this for Jac. Think this is probably because I just don't think C & S are suited and that it will keep continuing to go pear-shaped for them no matter what they do, probably causing more hurt to both of them, whereas with J & J I can see a long-term [if tempestuous] future for them)

Also = 3/4 :):):D:D (regular readers might know what this refers to)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    Also, I complained about the ridiculously short time Jac was allowed to be happy for, to which he said

We love Jac more than anyone, but a happy ending is an ending and we're not nearly ready for that yet...

I then said that I didn't want a happy ENDING but just a little bit of happiness for her (i.e more than a day) before it all goes pear-shaped again - but he hasn't responded to that yet!!!

JY has now answered with this (make of it what you will.....)
    We all want to see Jac happy, but we have to be true to her character, and she has a way to go yet...
  • Options
    FluffyBunnykinsFluffyBunnykins Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too lazy to quote from above, some interesting comments! :)

Chrissie's affair. Yes, can see this happening. Has Michael been on her list of conquests? They seem to be getting closer, could he be the one?

Jac/Sean - I expect Mo to stir and be suitably aggrieved on Jonny's behalf, despite her having her own fling with a married man :mad:
  • Options
    cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it typical? I just start to really like Jonny Mac and then Jac goes and does the dirty on him. I could be cross but actually I'm rather in awe at how easily the Holby scriptwriters can manipulate my emotions. Brilliant. And I loved that quote from Justin Young re Jac, mentioned by wiggles247 above
    a happy ending is an ending and we're not nearly ready for that yet.
    :D

Episode review (a tad late) here.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JY has now answered with this (make of it what you will.....)

Wiggles, we are on the same page regarding Chrissie and Sasha! I too would hate to see Sasha hurt and could see him forgiving her...........:mad:

I also agree with the above poster that she and Michael are getting alarming pally lately. He is genuinely fond of Sasha, though so hopefully that will be enough to keep him away from Chrissie if she goes into full Siren mode......:D

Clover, great review, as always. Love your Termi-Naylor description :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, re the Justin Young quote, it gives me hope that even if the s..t hits the fan over this latest faux pas, somewhere down the road there WILL be a happy ending for Jac :)
  • Options
    kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    I think it's been mentioned before a while back, but personally if anyone has an affair in the Sacha/Chrissie household, I would like it to be Sacha. It would be interesting to alter the dynamics in the relationship.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I agree that the Cancer scare has been used to show the distance between Sacha and Chrissie, as thee stabbing last year was really just a ploy to show Chrissie how she would feel if she lost him and was then quickly forgotten.

No, Michael is not a conquest. He has, for one regarded as a player, been with remarkably few other characters - only Donna, Lulu and Ramona. I think it is just that he is such a flirt (Connie, Jac, Frieda) you assume there have been more.

I think Sacha might surprise us if Chrissie cheated. I'm still convinced that Esther mentioning how his first marriage broke up (Helen cheating with his friend) is a portent of doom - he might blow if Chrissie repeats that behaviour. I know it's going to seem hypocritical as I, like Wiggles, want Jonny to understand and forgive Jac, but Chrissie has such a long history of cheating and nor caring who she hurts that I'd really want her to lose Sacha for good if she hurt him like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clover, great review, as always. Love your Termi-Naylor description :cool:

Thank you! But I can't take the credit for Termi-Naylor. It was Beautiful Dr Penny Valentine who came up with that one in this episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's been mentioned before a while back, but personally if anyone has an affair in the Sacha/Chrissie household, I would like it to be Sacha. It would be interesting to alter the dynamics in the relationship.

I like your thinking... but would Sacha do that? Isn't he far too nice?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Jerry was a shrink as well rather than a therapy for You counsellor or similar. Michael would have referred straight to the top after witnessing that meltdown.

I'm all for medication as a treatment for managing depression (I'm actually on them myself) but I think jac's problems do relate to her history and the patterns it creates (she gets scared, mucks up which makes her feel worse about herself so she acte out, pushes people away, feels worse about herself etc) rather than any neural biochemistry issues. It's nurture rather than nature.

Chrissie's mum was called Tricia. That was another cruddly death. Months of a cancer storyline, maybe terminal, miracle ooperation cure and then hit her with a car the next week. Why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When they first got together, I said that it would be really interesting if it was Sacha that ended it as he discovered that Chrissie was not the dream woman he had bulilt up in his mind after worshipping from afar for so long. After all, they only actually went on one date and then bam, she's the mother of his child.

They might be headed that way. He didn't want to go home on Christmas Day and as someone pointed out, he could have gone for drinks with her on Tuesday as they must have had a babysitter sorted.

I can't imagine him being unfaithful though.
  • Options
    kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    clover wrote: »
    I like your thinking... but would Sacha do that? Isn't he far too nice?

and KitKat but have no idea re multiquoting

No I don't see Sacha as the unfaithful type as such, but I can see him becoming involved with someone within a slowburning relationship. of mutual friendship and respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it funny how we all seem to have had more sympathy for Jac finding out about Joseph and acting out accordingly than we did for Chrissie finding a lump in her breast? I don't think I've seen a single post saying I really hope she is ok!

What is it about Chrissie that makes us so unsympathetic to her?? For me its her snooty looks and her sure certainty that she is too good for Sasha. And I could never understand why she had the affair with the guy with the huge nose (sorry, I wasn't a regular viewer back then!) when she had a gorgeous hubby like Owen !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clover wrote: »
    Isn't it typical? I just start to really like Jonny Mac and then Jac goes and does the dirty on him. I could be cross but actually I'm rather in awe at how easily the Holby scriptwriters can manipulate my emotions. Brilliant. And I loved that quote from Justin Young re Jac, mentioned by wiggles247 above

"a happy ending is an ending and we're not nearly ready for that yet"

:D

Episode review (a tad late) here.

Brill review as ever Clover!! And I'm really with you on the whole Jonny/Jac thing. Those darn scriptwriters are very good aren't they/??
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it funny how we all seem to have had more sympathy for Jac finding out about Joseph and acting out accordingly than we did for Chrissie finding a lump in her breast? I don't think I've seen a single post saying I really hope she is ok!

What is it about Chrissie that makes us so unsympathetic to her?? For me its her snooty looks and her sure certainty that she is too good for Sasha. And I could never understand why she had the affair with the guy with the huge nose (sorry, I wasn't a regular viewer back then!) when she had a gorgeous hubby like Owen !

I think for me, it wasn't really spoke about is why I didn't care, I think maybe if she had been on Keller and had spoke to say Ric, thus also mentioning Tricia - I think I would have cared more.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes I thought that. I think they didn't dwell on it very much - as Louise-Ann says, if they'd spent time with her talking about it (especially remembering Tricia) and showing some vulnerability it would probably have more of an effect, even on people like me that have disliked her from her first episode.

I agree it is her manner. I've said before that if you were to just look at a script, Chrissie's lines aren;t really that bad, certainly nicer than Jacs. However they are delivered in such a snooty, better than you manner that I want to throw something at the screen. I hope that Tina is portraying her so unsympathetically deliberately. This stuff with Sacha, the constant preening when patients make remarks about her marrying beneath her doesn't help either not to mention all that getting him to throw his possessions away only a couple of weeks after they got together last year.

I can see Sacha slowly falling in love with someone actually but I can't believe he'd ever actually cheat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Yes I thought that. I think they didn't dwell on it very much - as Louise-Ann says, if they'd spent time with her talking about it (especially remembering Tricia) and showing some vulnerability it would probably have more of an effect, even on people like me that have disliked her from her first episode.

I agree it is her manner. I've said before that if you were to just look at a script, Chrissie's lines aren;t really that bad, certainly nicer than Jacs. However they are delivered in such a snooty, better than you manner that I want to throw something at the screen. I hope that Tina is portraying her so unsympathetically deliberately. This stuff with Sacha, the constant preening when patients make remarks about her marrying beneath her doesn't help either not to mention all that getting him to throw his possessions away only a couple of weeks after they got together last year.

I can see Sacha slowly falling in love with someone actually but I can't believe he'd ever actually cheat.

Yes, it would be a very interesting storyline to see Sasha slowly fall in love with someone else, but not cheating. Could be very poignant, done properly, as we know they can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, it would be a very interesting storyline to see Sasha slowly fall in love with someone else, but not cheating. Could be very poignant, done properly, as we know they can.

A bit like Sahira having feelings for Greg but hopefully done properly, with 2 actors with actual chemistry and not forced down our throats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit like Sahira having feelings for Greg but hopefully done properly, with 2 actors with actual chemistry and not forced down our throats.

Indeed :D

I would like to see Sasha with an attractive woman of his own age, confident in her own right and well able to see what a warm, funny, compassionate and caring man he is.

Eventually the penny would drop with Chrissie and she would do the decent thing and walk away.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More news (and this time it IS actually news) from the world of Twitter.....

Seems we weren't the only ones who loved 'When Sacha Met Chrissie' as apparently J.Y has been long-listed for best writer (I'm presuming in the single episode category) and is the only soap/continuing drama writer to be included.....so kudos!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More news (and this time it IS actually news) from the world of Twitter.....

Seems we weren't the only ones who loved 'When Sacha Met Chrissie' as apparently J.Y has been long-listed for best writer (I'm presuming in the single episode category) and is the only soap/continuing drama writer to be included.....so kudos!!!!!

Is this for the Baftas? Great.
    I think the team actually decide which episode they put forward but then the Bafta draw up the list from that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also can't see Sacha cheating (don't think he'd have it in him to do such a thing) but maybe a slow-burn friendship building to something else would work. Think (and really hope) it's unlikely that, if Chrissie does have an affair, it'd be with Michael, as he really would go down in my estimation if he went there!!

(Also, wasn't saying anything about the use of medication for any mental health problem as I know it can be helpful, although I'd agree probably not appropriate in Jac's case. Was simply trying to point out that contrary to (I think) most people's expectations most psychiatrists in the UK don't actually do much (if any) talking therapy work- so, if he was a psychiatirst, Jerry would be the exception rather than the rule.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is this for the Baftas? Great.
    I think the team actually decide which episode they put forward but then the Bafta draw up the list from that.

Yep - sorry, meant to include that in the post:o. It's only the long-list so far but apparently they were nominated last year (not sure if in the same category) so who knows........
  • Options
    Forum Member

Collins, the BIB made me laugh (after a session at uni which made my brain hurt) so thanks!! I don't know who you mean either, although from the very little I remember I'm not sure Owen was completely blameless in all that (didn't Sacha mention at the stag do that he'd slept with Tricia??)

I think I'm not too bothered because we think (at the moment) that it was just a scare, rather than the lump being anything sinister. If this hadn't been made clear would have been worried about her and may even have posted something to that effect on here.
This discussion has been closed.