'heartache' was early 87 :p
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    35 minute montage of the top 100 billboard Hot 100 songs of 1986

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvz74xBiSpA
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Well, mushymanrob, I like 11 of the 12 in your 'top 12' of 1986 (I don't like Bucks Fizz, but never mind!). However, to pick 'Radio Africa' by Latin Quarter as one of your top songs of a year... superb choice! It's one of those songs that I'm amazed doesn't get played on the radio more often.

The songs from 13 to 28 are excellent too, and I stand by that even with reference to 'Brother Louie.' The SOS Band's 'The Finest' is one of my all-time favourite records. I love pretty much most of the things Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis produced in the 1980s and that distinctive sound they had but 'The Finest' is for me what the title of the song says. The guest vocals from one Alexander O' Neal are the icing on the cake. I don't know what it is about 'The FInest' but it still sounds 'cool' now. The same goes for quite a few tracks from 1986 in the list (especially Big Audio Dynamite and Sly Fox). You mentioned the year 2003 in the original post and I'm guessing you must be familiar with Richard X's take on 'The Finest,' (which he did with Kelis) called 'Finest Dreams' from 2003? Imagine my surprise when I heard that for the first time.

I don't think anyone can deny that Bruce Hornsby's 'The Way It Is' is a brilliant song that stands the test of time.

other tracks that made 86 great (imho)

13. Fine Young Canibals - Suspicious minds
    14. Mr Mister - Broken wings
    15. Mel and Kim - Showing out (get fresh at the weekend)
    16. Big Audio Dynamite - E=mc2
    17. Sly Foxx - Lets go all the way
    18. Stranglers - Always the sun
    19. Erasure - Sometimes
    20. Oran 'juice' Jones - The rain
    21. A-Ha - The sun always shines on tv
    22. Paul Hardcastle - Dont waste my time
    23. SOS Band - The finest
    24. Madonna - Live to tell
    25. Furniture - Brilliant mind
    26. Bruce Hornsby and the Range - The way it is
    27. Madonna - Papa dont preach
    28. Modern Talking - Brother louie

Some of my favourites from 1986 include 'Kyrie' by Mr Mister, which definitely sounds dated compared to 'Broken Wings.' However, that's part of its charm.

I also have a real soft spot for 'Hunting High and Low' by A-Ha, which I still listen to quite a lot now.

I also love a track that 80s soul fans will be familiar with called 'You and Me Tonight' by Aurra, which was a top 20 hit.
    Here's the TOTP performance and the original 12" mix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_njoDvX67KY

Michael McDonald's 'Sweet Freedom' is another 1986 hit I can never grow tired of hearing. No surprise really that it was written by Rod Temperton! 'On My Own' with Patti LaBelle is of course another fave.

Atlantic Starr's 'Secret Lovers' and Five Star's 'Rain or Shine' are also amongst my top hits from 1986.

However, for my ultimate guilty pleasure, 'Smile' by Audrey Hall.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    SamMcK wrote: »
    No one had mentioned Prince 1986 hit single 'Kiss' or his excellent album 'Parade' yet with other great songs such as 'Mountains', 'Girls and Boys' and Anotherloverholenyohead'. (The less said about the movie it was attached to the better! ;) ) and of course there was still Sign 'O' The Times to look forward to in 87 for those fans back then!...

I still haven't seen 'Under the Cherry Moon.' However, I'm nearing the end of the latest Prince biography I've read - 'Prince: Inside the Music and the Masks' by Ronin Ro - and the more I've read about the film, the less likely I think I am to watch it. :o However, the anecdotes about the film's production and things said by Warner at the time and fans etc. are brilliant to read about. The album 'Parade' is indeed excellent.

Who else in 1986 could have pulled off the lyric 'she had the cutest ass he'd ever seen. He did too, they were meant to be?'
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    simply put
    THE BEST YEAR IN MUSIC for me!!!

Top 100 Hits from Early January 1986 to Late December 1986

33 Owen Paul My Favourite Waste Of Time

all but ONE i can pretty much reel off in some way or another :D

yes, even THOSE ONES :o

Agree, one of the better year, the 80's were great.

Still got boxes full of 7" and 12" and albums, all from the 80's in the loft. Not seen the light of day in 15 years.

"My Favourite Waste Of Time", my girlfriend at the time bought me that, she loved to sing it too me.

Anyway, we got married in 87 and she's still enjoying that Waste Of Time :D, Oh and she still sings it to me when she hears it
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    One of my fave 80s years, the other is 1987.

The highlight of 1986 was Madonna releasing her most iconic album, True Blue!;):cool::cool:
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1986 is still my fave year for music since 1981, and was my final year when I decided my top 100 songs from the year.

Of the songs you have mentioned so far, I particularly like Imagination and Radio Africa (I knew them from Spring 1985 and was encouraged they were re-released), Land of Confusion, Word Up, Broken Wings, Let's Go All the Way, I Can't Wait and The Honeythief.

My best memories from 1986 is that the Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian was my fave song from 1986, from the whole of the 80s and eventually my all-time fave song from an all-female group. Also, I believe uniquely, the top 40 from 30th September 1986 featured 4 new entries that all made my top 40 songs of the decade! As well as Walk Like an Egyptian, the others were Status Quo with In the Army Now, A-ha with I've Been Losing You and Madonna's True Blue (still my fave song of hers over 25 years later).

I shall share more memories from 1986 at a later stage!
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1986 is still my fave year for music since 1981, and was my final year when I decided my top 100 songs from the year.

Of the songs you have mentioned so far, I particularly like Imagination and Radio Africa (I knew them from Spring 1985 and was encouraged they were re-released), Land of Confusion, Word Up, Broken Wings, Let's Go All the Way, I Can't Wait and The Honeythief.

My best memories from 1986 is that the Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian was my fave song from 1986, from the whole of the 80s and eventually my all-time fave song from an all-female group. Also, I believe uniquely, the top 40 from 30th September 1986 featured 4 new entries that all made my top 40 songs of the decade! As well as Walk Like an Egyptian, the others were Status Quo with In the Army Now, A-ha with I've Been Losing You and Madonna's True Blue (still my fave song of hers over 25 years later).

I shall share more memories from 1986 at a later stage!

please do, its always interesting hearing from you :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The year I was born
  • kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Oh WOW, people who have heard of Modern Talking. When I say 'You're my heart. You're my soul' is one of my favourite songs, I am usually met by blank faces.

So many Guilty Pleasures in that list, especially Fine Young Cannibals, Suspicious Minds and Cameo, Word Up.

So many great songs, Thanks for reminding me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So many Guilty Pleasures in that list, especially Fine Young Cannibals, Suspicious Minds and Cameo, Word Up.

So many great songs, Thanks for reminding me.

guilty pleasures?... dont see anything to be guilty with with those tracks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please do, its always interesting hearing from you :)

Thanks Rob! Just before I list any more, I notice it is quite a coincidence that your 2 fave years in the last 30 years or so seem to be 1986 and 2003. These were identical years both being Wednesday-Wednesday. So for example, New Year's Day and New Year's Eve were Wednesdays both years, and the August Bank Holiday was August 25th both years.

Anyway, a few of my musical choices are as follows:

Whitney Houston:- How Will I Know?
    Public Image Ltd:- Rise
    Ruby Turner:- Come Go With Me
    Robert Palmer:- Riptide
    Survivor:- Burning Heart
    Picnic at the Whitehouse:- We Need Protection
    Jaki Graham:- Set Me Free
    Talking Drums:- Pretend a Stranger
    Rouen:- Young for a Day
    Haywoode:- Roses (I knew this in Spring 1985 too!)

Princess:- Tell Me Tomorrow
    UB40:- Sing Our Own Song
    Paul McCartney:- Press
    Fight for Ourselves:- Spandau Ballet
    Dr & the Medics:- Burn
    Stranglers:- Nice in Nice
    The Timex Social Club:- Rumours
    Big Country:- One Great Thing
    Glass Tiger:- Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone
    Berlin:- You Don't Know
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Rob! Just before I list any more, I notice it is quite a coincidence that your 2 fave years in the last 30 years or so seem to be 1986 and 2003. These were identical years both being Wednesday-Wednesday. So for example, New Year's Day and New Year's Eve were Wednesdays both years, and the August Bank Holiday was August 25th both years.

Anyway, a few of my musical choices are as follows:

Whitney Houston:- How Will I Know?
    Public Image Ltd:- Rise
    Ruby Turner:- Come Go With Me
    Robert Palmer:- Riptide
    Survivor:- Burning Heart
    Picnic at the Whitehouse:- We Need Protection
    Jaki Graham:- Set Me Free
    Talking Drums:- Pretend a Stranger
    Rouen:- Young for a Day
    Haywoode:- Roses (I knew this in Spring 1985 too!)

Princess:- Tell Me Tomorrow
    UB40:- Sing Our Own Song
    Paul McCartney:- Press
    Fight for Ourselves:- Spandau Ballet
    Dr & the Medics:- Burn
    Stranglers:- Nice in Nice
    The Timex Social Club:- Rumours
    Big Country:- One Great Thing
    Glass Tiger:- Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone
    Berlin:- You Don't Know

has there been any weds-weds since?... lol.. was 65 or 66 weds - weds?.. weird!

good choices there.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1986 was a good year for music.
    Madonna - Borderline
    Swing out sister - Breakout
    Pepsi and shirlie - Its a Heartache

Faves of mine. :)

Five Star were mentioned, I think Rain or Shine is a very good pop song.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Faves of mine. :)

Five Star were mentioned, I think Rain or Shine is a very good pop song.

I loved Five Star. I saw them live when I was around 10 years old and Denise waved at me in the crowd, which pretty much made my year. :D
  • CupidStunt2010CupidStunt2010 Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slayer - Reign in Blood
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has there been any weds-weds since?... lol.. was 65 or 66 weds - weds?.. weird!

good choices there.

Due to the leap year in 2008, there was to be no other Wednesday-Wednesday year until 2014. I deduce that the nearest Wed-Wed year would have been 1969, being 28 years before 1997.

I can list some more songs from 1986 on Sunday!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    some of my 1986 favourites
    i can't wait nu shooz
    sinful pete wylie
    calling all the heroes it bites
    think for a minute housemartins
    live to tell madonna
    i'll keep on loving you princess
    you and me tonight aurra
    find the time five star
    sun street katrina and the waves
    if she knew what she wants bangles
    rise pil
    radio africa latin quarter
    left of center suzanne vega
    land of confusion genesis
    amityville lovebug starski
    lets go all the way sly fox
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is great. This is bringing back my memories. Listening to so many of these tracks and acts on Spotify, bringing back many memories!

Bumping the thread back to the top ofd the forum. Don;t want this thread to get lost!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    This is great. This is bringing back my memories. Listening to so many of these tracks and acts on Spotify, bringing back many memories!

Bumping the thread back to the top ofd the forum. Don;t want this thread to get lost!

it wouldnt get lost if we had a retro sub forum! ;)

some of us have been pushing for this for some time...its not happening, but should do.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My fave songs of 1986:

Youre my favourite waste of time - Owen Paul
    Calling all the heroes - It Bites
    Lessons in Love - Level 42
    Captain of my heart - Double
    Just the way it is - Bruce Hornsby and The Range
    Breakout - Swing Out Sister
    Spirit In the Sky - Dr and the Medics
    Aha - Train of Thought
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    it wouldnt get lost if we had a retro sub forum! ;)

some of us have been pushing for this for some time...its not happening, but should do.

Indeed it should!

A retro forum is exactly what we need.:):)
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    I like all the songs mentioned already, but here are a few more of my faves.

Robert Palmer - Addicted To Love
    Simply Red - Holding Back The Years
    Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait
    The Bangles - Manic Monday
    The Housemartins - Happy Monday
    Pet Shop Boys - Opportunites

I love that 'I Can't Wait' by Nu Shooz; great track.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed it should!

A retro forum is exactly what we need.:):)

those of us who have contributed to the rare 60's thread wanted it so the archive of great material we have discovered/displayed can be seen and not lost...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few more as promised:

Mr Mister:- Broken Wings
    Paul Hardcastle:- Don't Waste My Time
    Audrey Hall:- One Dance Won't Do
    Bronskybeat:- Come On Come On
    Big Audio Dynamite:- Medicine Show
    The Smiths:- Panic
    Fatal Charm:- Images of Fire
    Billy Idol:- To Be a Lover