Dot's mentil illness

royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think Dot should develop a mental illness. They have never covered this before in the elderly. The storyline will be serious, but will also have lots of unintentionally hilarious scenes as Dot drinks to excess, goes clubbing, buys tight revealing dresses thinking she can model, throws herself at men, believes she is pregnant, etc...

In the end Jean would persuade her to get help as she finds her trying to burn down a church.

Dot gets sectioned, has a 2 month break, returns, makes her peace with God then all is fine again.

Comments

• skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dot did actually suffer from depression and guilt after her role in Ethels assisted suicide, she went on to shoplifting to try and get caught and punished as the police didnt believe her story about helping Ethel die.

She went to court for shoplifting and was not sentenced but did get 14 days for Contempt of Court as she blew up when she received no custodial sentence for the shoplifting.

All done in a very sympathetic and realistic way as oppsoed to drunken nights and tight dresses.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    I think Dot should develop a mental illness. They have never covered this before in the elderly. The storyline will be serious, but will also have lots of unintentionally hilarious scenes as Dot drinks to excess, goes clubbing, buys tight revealing dresses thinking she can model, throws herself at men, believes she is pregnant, etc...

In the end Jean would persuade her to get help as she finds her trying to burn down a church.

Dot gets sectioned, has a 2 month break, returns, makes her peace with God then all is fine again.

Lousy idea.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Dot did actually suffer from depression and guilt after her role in Ethels assisted suicide, she went on to shoplifting to try and get caught and punished as the police didnt believe her story about helping Ethel die.

She went to court for shoplifting and was not sentenced but did get 14 days for Contempt of Court as she blew up when she received no custodial sentence for the shoplifting.

All done in a very sympathetic and realistic way as oppsoed to drunken nights and tight dresses.

Imagine Dot drunk and in a tight dress :D
    Dot isn't Lauren!!

I wouldn't mind Dot getting alzeimer's like Mike Baldwin in Corrie. It doesn't have to kill her off yet but would be an exit story for her when the time comes.
  • pauLyearleypauLyearley Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    absolutely pathetic idea...

*mental ..
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah he's an idea why don't we mock mental illness and turn it into a comedy storyline. Pathetic OP really pathetic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Just. No.

And I'm with the others on here - mental illness isn't something to be mocked.
  • kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Terrible idea and totally unrealistic.

It is also untrue that there has not been an elderly person with a mental health problem storyline. Frank Butchers mother, played by Edna Dore, developed a dementia,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is also untrue that there has not been an elderly person with a mental health problem storyline. Frank Butchers mother, played by Edna Dore, developed a dementia,

Ah yes, Mo Butcher!
  • Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    No. Just. No.

And I'm with the others on here - mental illness isn't something to be mocked.

This. Adding the 'God' element facetiously to a serious issue is offensive and should not be done.
  • kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Ah yes, Mo Butcher!

Thanks. I couldn't remember her name
  • jussie76jussie76 Posts: 236
    Forum Member

I remember that, broke my heart to watch it.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a mental illness and I agree with what people are saying on this thread, it's definitely not to be mocked.