what widgets do you use?

2»

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. If I look through my phones widgets there are loads there that for now I have no need to use. However ive dug out the ones that are of use to me and use them. The idea of a smartphone surely is for it to be that little bit smarter and have the things you do want at your fingertips. My actual app shortcuts take up 1 page of my front end as they are all filed in neat folders. So I make use of the extra space with things I want quick access too.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Well, what exactly do you need that screen real estate for? Obviously not app shortcuts or anything like that, because none of us are so busy that we don't have that extra couple of seconds to go into the main app drawer and find the right app from the list.

The obvious answer to the question 'What do you need the screen real estate for?' is apps. Why would I take up half a home screen with a widget that adds almost zero functionality when I can have the app right there? A widget takes up between a third and a whole of a home screen. An app takes up far less space - why bother?
    Do you ever power your phone's screen on just to check the time? Would you be okay if the omnipresent clock was removed on the grounds that you're not too busy to click through and open up the clock app? Widgets are just an expansion of this - yes, I could open up my calendar everytime I wanted to check my appointments for the day, but when I can put a widget on my homescreen and see an overview straight from there... why would I not do that?

No, I never power up my phone to find out the time. You know why? Because I own a watch. Horses for courses, dude. Don't feel pressured to use one bit of kit for everything, even if it's what the fanboys are telling you to do. I removed the clock widget from my home screen. What value was it adding when I already had the time in the top right-hand corner?
    Not related to the quoted post, I also wish people could distinguish between something being "crap" and something being not useful for them. You might not see a point to widgets, and each to their own, but to describe them as crap is just stupid - they're not. They offer additional functionality and convenience that people use day in, day out, but you're not in any way forced to use them and they don't in any way cripple the usage of your phone... so in what way are they crap?

Widgets aren't crap and I haven't labelled them so - they're just irrelevant. They're a shortcut to a shortcut - waste of time and processing power. If you like using them, then fine but anyone in the real world recognises that they're a solution looking for a problem. As I say, they'll be gone in a few years.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    The obvious answer to the question 'What do you need the screen real estate for?' is apps. Why would I take up half a home screen with a widget that adds almost zero functionality when I can have the app right there? A widget takes up between a third and a whole of a home screen. An app takes up far less space - why bother?

No, I never power up my phone to find out the time. You know why? Because I own a watch. Horses for courses, dude. Don't feel pressured to use one bit of kit for everything, even if it's what the fanboys are telling you to do. I removed the clock widget from my home screen. What value was it adding when I already had the time in the top right-hand corner?

Widgets aren't crap and I haven't labelled them so - they're just irrelevant. They're a shortcut to a shortcut - waste of time and processing power. If you like using them, then fine but anyone in the real world recognises that they're a solution looking for a problem. As I say, they'll be gone in a few years.

In my case, a quick tap of the clock widget lets me change alarms or set the stop watch and timer. No slower or quicker than clicking the clock app icon I'll grant you.

App icons all over the place makes a phone look cluttered in my opinion, or too close to the dreaded iOS.
    You are right though, it s whatever works for the individual/
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious answer to the question 'What do you need the screen real estate for?' is apps.
    Exactly my point - why do you need to put apps on the home screen when they're already there in the app drawer just a click away? Answer presumably is that you put them there for convenience - the same reason people put widgets there. Can you genuinely not see the advantage of having, for instance, your next five calendar appointments sat there looking at you rather than having to click through to the calendar app? For me, that convenience far outweighs that of having app shortcuts on the screen that just duplicates the app drawer.
    What value was it adding when I already had the time in the top right-hand corner?
    I wasn't talking about the clock widget (and, yes, I agree - that one is pointless). I was talking about the clock in the top-right corner: again, would you be happy if that was removed, with the justification that 'hey, you can just click through to the Clock app and see what time it is'. Why have the signal bar there at the top when with a few clicks into the settings menu you could see exactly what sort of signal you're currently getting. Why not remove the battery icon too, because who needs that information at a glance? Only people who are too lazy to click through the settings to the Battery Info.

Do you see the point I'm making?
    If you like using them, then fine but anyone in the real world recognises that they're a solution looking for a problem.
    Ah, cue the patronising "my view is correct and anyone who disagrees is not living in the real world" line. My feelings are that having my calendar, Google Keep (used as my to-do list) and Google Now widgets available on one screen - rather than going into three separate apps constantly to get that information - is a far better use of screen real-estate than a bunch of app icons that I can find in the app drawer anyway. If you disagree then each to their own, but don't get all high-and-mighty about it as if not using widgets makes you somehow a superior individual.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Irrelevant to you yes? Not everyone.

A widget it not a shortcut to a shortcut!! It displays information without having to go into the app. I also like how you say anyone in the real world when most people actually use them!! What problem are they creating?

Also, a waste or processing power? What else are you doing with it?

Its apparent you don't like them which is fine, but don't make up lies and utter nonsense about them based on your dislike of them. Makes you look rather silly!

For the record i don't have any on my phone just now.

EDIT:- Gone in a few years? Haha! They have been on the go since very early in Android and other OS's. When i said about making yourself look silly? Well this is it!! :D
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    In my case, a quick tap of the clock widget lets me change alarms or set the stop watch and timer. No slower or quicker than clicking the clock app icon I'll grant you.

App icons all over the place makes a phone look cluttered in my opinion, or too close to the dreaded iOS.
    You are right though, it s whatever works for the individual/

Ah but it is slower! 2 taps without the clock widget compared to the 1 tap :D
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    widgets: email (two accounts), Google+ feed, facebook feed, twitter feed, tube delays widget, calendar, Twitter trending terms (can be handy for breaking news), NewsRepublic...
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a clock, that is all I got on my Nexus 4, i did used to have the calender, but I did not find it that useful.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Just a clock, that is all I got on my Nexus 4, i did used to have the calender, but I did not find it that useful.

That is how I've ended up. I use to have an email widget but with notifications and my desire not to have my emails in view all the time, I removed it.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have:

Weather
    Torch
    Calendar
    Power Amp player
    And direct dial icons
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Rail Planner Live by Thales. The widget sits on the front screen and tells me when the next three trains are from my home station to work and vice versa based on my current location. It even tells me what platform the train is leaving from.
  • JustincoxJustincox Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I am using watch, calender, Email, Facebook, Twitter etc. These all are good widgets.