New iPads - 22nd of October

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

e.g. When VLC was removed from the App Store, anyone who had already downloaded it retained it.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Everything I remember that has been pulled for whatever reason still worked ok, just couldn't be bought or redownloaded again. However I believe but they do have the ability to totally disable a rogue app in extreme circumstances. Not aware that they've ever done it yet.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had every Ipad since version one, loved them all, but the new Air is just the best yet, IMHO. Not a great fan of IOS 7, but it's fine on the ipad
    so fast, sleek, thin & light
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the Air the IPad 2 still seems to be advertised and promoted a lot. Why is this when there are 3 other more advanced versions out?
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they still sell it.
    It's their 'budget' iPad.

The ipad 3 and 4 are no longer available.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pumazooma wrote: »
    ...It's their 'budget' iPad...
    Indeed.

There are as many features on the budget model as the higher resolution ones. (or distinct standard lack of features if comparing to other tablets)
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Indeed.

There are as many features on the budget model as the higher resolution ones.

No there isn't:confused: there are a number of shared features which is true of every tablet on the market.

The purchaser gets to choose which one they want to buy. It seem most are choosing the high end model. Having bought 3 iPad air's for the family at Xmas, I can understand why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    No there isn't:confused: there are a number of shared features which is true of every tablet on the market.
    I really can't quite work out whether you meant yes.
    Its a slightly strange uninformative style you have.

There still no GPS standard, no USB file share and HDMI needs a £40 cable.
    The faster new chipsets likely have the sensor controller left in, but even there I think much of it is disabled via the API.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really can't quite work out whether you meant yes.
    Its a slightly strange uninformative style you have.

There still no GPS standard, no USB file share and HDMI needs a £40 cable.
    The faster new chipsets likely have the sensor controller left in, but even there I think much of it is disabled via the API.

Your obsession with GPS in tablets is becoming comical. GPS was standard in the iPad mini that I purchased so I don't really know what you are talking about. You claimed a couple of posts ago that the higher models don't offer more features. :confused:

You best stick to your cycle rides in airplane mode (the most comical and desperate attempt to make a point I have heard for a long time:):))

As for USB and HDMI, why would Apple offer something that they have never offered.

I do however like how you now try and dismiss the much more advanced processors, again comical for someone who is specification obsessed when it suits them.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed.

There are as many features on the budget model as the higher resolution ones. (or distinct standard lack of features if comparing to other tablets)

When you say "standard lack of features", do you really mean "specific features that you feel the need the for"?

What do you mean by "GPS standard"? I always thought map applications (for example) used GPS?

Do you mean this peculiar desire to have GPS work even when the device is in Airplane more, in a scenario other than being in an aeroplane?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your obsession with GPS in tablets is becoming comical. GPS was standard in the iPad mini that I purchased...

That's a very interesting way to describe 'standard'.

Being obsessed with Disinformation maybe only helps Apple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a very interesting way to describe 'standard'.

Being obsessed with Disinformation maybe only helps Apple.

What disinformation are you talking about? Maybe you can explain why you have to ride around in 'airplane mode' and how by doing that you inform about Apple? Go on, I need another laugh:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What else is making out that GPS is 'standard'?
    Considering I'm the one said to be 'obsessed' whats with the slight of hand/factual ignorance?

I'm sure there can be positives for the 'standard' iPad being raw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What else is making out that GPS is 'standard'?
    Considering I'm the one said to be 'obsessed' whats with the slight of hand/factual ignorance?

If I could make any sense of what you are saying I would respond.

Go on, you know you want to. Tell us about the new "bicycle mode" feature :)
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I totally get what you're saying there. Waiter! More wine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You knew full well that the iPad as 'standard' has no GPS. With you ever so keen to sell, undoubtedly you also know that the iPad is sold in a more raw/limited state compared to competing tablets.
    When I once called you 'The Man from Del Monte' for being the 'man who likes to say to say Yes', its your cryptic yes that is almost always FUD, a disinformation yes.

I do sometimes wonder whether you think Apple products are inherently bad enough that you need to do that. Other users are positively pertinent with facts.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you guys were comparing the old iPad models with the Air a few posts ago? Now we seem to have reverted to the old chestnut of GPS?

There is no difference in the functionality of the (A)GPS between the old models and the latest one.

The cellular models have the hardware, the wifi models don't. This has always been the case. It's not a problem for those that tether to iPhones as the location data is shared between the iPhone and iPad. This has always been the case since the first iPad.

I'm wondering if many would really want to carry a tablet like the Air around and regularly use it as a Sat Nav? Surely a dedicated solution is far more practical if it's something you need a lot? Or even a far more pocketable smartphone? Which has the distinct advantage of always being on your person and small enough to easily protect from the elements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You knew full well that the iPad as 'standard' has no GPS. With you ever so keen to sell, undoubtedly you also know that the iPad is sold in a more raw/limited state compared to competing tablets.
    When I once called you 'The Man from Del Monte' for being the 'man who likes to say to say Yes', its your cryptic yes that is almost always FUD, a disinformation yes.

I do sometimes wonder whether you think Apple products are inherently bad enough that you need to do that. Other users are positively pertinent with facts.

What am I keen to sell? What have I said 'yes' to? If I thought Apple product were bad, why would I buy them?

I always find it fascinating that someone who doesn't own the product feels the need to try and tell others how bad the user experience is. When you try and create examples based on something no one would do, it just makes you look silly.

Please tell us about the new "bicycle mode" feature:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You knew full well that the iPad as 'standard' has no GPS.

So how do the map apps work without GPS?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And obviously it has nothing whatsoever to do with you being constant, near zero input, disruptive trolls.

:rolleyes:
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

using any wifi networks you connect to see here

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201486/Apple_Location_Data_Collection_Policies_What_You_Need_To_Know.html
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    And obviously it has nothing whatsoever to do with you being constant, near zero input, disruptive trolls.

:rolleyes:
    From the sidelines!

I would be very careful about throwing stones in glass houses!From the man who repeatedly posted that the iPad mini 2 would positively have no retina display - and other gems!
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

Alan's argument is that the iPad (WiFi) ships with no GPS whereas the cheaper Hudl does.

Regardless whether you have GPS on board or not, you're still going to need a data connection to the internet to get the actual map, unless you're using a downloaded map database a la TomTom or Garmin.

So, assuming you're using the 'free' model of Google or Apple maps, you have to tether the tablet (iPad or Hudl) to a phone to get the map (a WiFi hot spot is not much use if you're heading down the M6); the phone (regardless of model) knows it's position anyway because it most likely has GLONASS and this is passed to the map app, which makes the need for GPS in the tablet rather redundant.

If, however, you choose to download map data from one of the providers then, yes, a Hudl makes for a better dedicated sat nav device as it knows it's position without the need for a data connection.

As most folks prefer the free maps offered by Google, I imagine the above use case to be fairly niche, but certainly do-able.

(AFAIK Google's navigation app calculates and downloads map data for the entire trip, meaning that if you lose the mobile signal, sat nav functionality will still work, unless of course there is a deviation from the route whereupon the app will try to pull route data from the internet.)
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »
    (AFAIK Google's navigation app calculates and downloads map data for the entire trip, meaning that if you lose the mobile signal, sat nav functionality will still work, unless of course there is a deviation from the route whereupon the app will try to pull route data from the internet.)
    Unless it has changed VERY recently Google maps do NOT do this by default - at least not on IOS! You have to explicitly download cached areas using the Easter egg "ok maps" in the search box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zapod wrote: »
    Alan's argument is that the iPad (WiFi) ships with no GPS whereas the cheaper Hudl does.

Regardless whether you have GPS on board or not, you're still going to need a data connection to the internet to get the actual map, unless you're using a downloaded map database a la TomTom or Garmin.

So, assuming you're using the 'free' model of Google or Apple maps, you have to tether the tablet (iPad or Hudl) to a phone to get the map (a WiFi hot spot is not much use if you're heading down the M6); the phone (regardless of model) knows it's position anyway because it most likely has GLONASS and this is passed to the map app, which makes the need for GPS in the tablet rather redundant.

If, however, you choose to download map data from one of the providers then, yes, a Hudl makes for a better dedicated sat nav device as it knows it's position without the need for a data connection.

As most folks prefer the free maps offered by Google, I imagine the above use case to be fairly niche, but certainly do-able.

Ah, OK - thanks.