Wait a minute, Toju was on Balls of Steel wasn't he?

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    funny thing was, I thought he was engaging as a person, but the act was poor

Lenny henry, and Reginald hunter aside, are there any black comics?
  • Arnold1Arnold1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    I didn't understand in the auditions why every one went mad for him, the judges were laughing so much, I didn't find him that funny at all, maybe it is because I am 20 and his jokes were about old stuff.

tonight he wasn't very good either, actually a similar experience as to when I've watched America's Got Talent in the past and a comedian comes on and everyone laughs hard when I don't find it funny at all, just a different sense of humour.

I don't know why you didn't find him funny in the auditions as he had me in stitches. But in the semi-finals he was terrible.
  • Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenny henry, and Reginald hunter aside, are there any black comics?

Stephen K Amos, Gina Yashere, Andi Osho, Curtis Walker, the late Felix Dexter... undoubtedly many others on the comedy circuit who don't make it as far TV work.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Visitor Q wrote: »
    Stephen K Amos, Gina Yashere, Andi Osho, Curtis Walker, the late Felix Dexter... undoubtedly many others on the comedy circuit who don't make it as far TV work.

With the possible exception of Felix Dexter, I would be reluctant to describe any of those as "comedians."

How and why Gina Yashere gets TV work is a mystery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His opener copied that guy who always comes out and says "white people". Can't remember his name but I've seen him on Live at the Apollo a few times I think.

Anyway he was rubbish. The Annie are you okay joke was mildly funny then he repeated it about 5 times!! Agree with someone else who said he came across a bit aggressive and weird.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visitor Q wrote: »

Also Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Martin Lawrence
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    I couldn't watch it. He was absolutely terrible. I can't believe he got to the semi final. One of the worst acts ever on BGT semi finals. Laughed at nothing he said.

I thought it was terrible too. The jokes were flat as pancakes. Hide and seek with darth Vader and Michael Jackson not being ok. I was practically watching him through my fingers it was so bad :blush:
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was the most cringe-worthy act of the week so far. Really bad
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I'm not stereotyping. It's a fact.

I have never seen a black comedian who didn't refer to the colour of his skin either throughout his act or at least during part of it.

On the other hand, I have never seen a white comedian who mentioned his race during his act. White people are a race too, but we don't seem to feel the need to refer to it constantly.

Sadly, you are not wrong there as I've noticed it with them myself - most if not all of the handful that exist have done so. I can't stand it and it's not necessary and they need to change the record. My theory is that I think they do it in a bizarre attempt to connect with white audiences or perhaps to trying to convey the message saying "hey, we can laugh at ourselves".

On Toju's act - it was horrendously unfunny and the opening part saying "all the white people.....black people" was desperate and cringeworthy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    He needs a good writer. His material tonight was piss poor. Popeye? Who under 25 knows Popeye! Then remarks about Michael Jackson which would have been out of date 20 years ago. Then onto a bloke with bad breath! WTF!

lol entirely this!

One of the worst stand ups I have ever seen....Popeye for god's sake??!!!
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It felf like a Lenny Henry routine from 1979 ! I was'nt aware that being black was a comedy "selling point". The reference to "black people in the house" was cringe worthy ! I was watching through my fingers !

All that was missing from his "black comedian stereotype" routine was an exaggerated West Indian mummy accent !
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    I didn't understand in the auditions why every one went mad for him, the judges were laughing so much, I didn't find him that funny at all, maybe it is because I am 20 and his jokes were about old stuff.

He's a box ticker ! Plain and simple.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The black and white thing is much more common amongst African American comedians. Very alien subject to raise to a uk audience.

I didn't think he was all that either
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    I found it quite odd that he was using old recycled jokes. It's 2014, why not talk about something that is relevant today?
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Mullen wrote: »
    He stand up tonight was the worst I've ever seen it was awful and completely unfunny.

I actually liked his audition on Sunday night but last night I felt embarrassed for him.
    He wasn't funny at all and all those jokes about Popeye and noises certain people make were pathetic.

I don't get it sometimes even that guy Micky the other night did a brilliant audition but made a hash of his semi-final performance - totally wrong song.
    He is more suited to musicals. I think if he had of went down the same route as Collarbo they may have had a fight on their hands to win the public vote.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nan_tha wrote: »
    Quote from #5: " As for the "all the black people make some noise" tripe - words fail me. "
    I actually find his opener to his act racist. Why segregate people's noise-making according to race?

That is a very American way of doing things , they love separating everything because of colour .
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    It felf like a Lenny Henry routine from 1979 ! I was'nt aware that being black was a comedy "selling point". The reference to "black people in the house" was cringe worthy ! I was watching through my fingers !

All that was missing from his "black comedian stereotype" routine was an exaggerated West Indian mummy accent !

He also said "all the white people in the house" first before he said "black people...." which was equally cringeworthy, and after that made reference to Alesha being mixed race.

The whole act was embarassingly bad and there wasn't much laughter from the audience. Why he got the gold buzz is beyond me. If he wants to make a serious career out of comedy he needs to ditch the references to colour and work harder on better material.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He also said "all the white people in the house" first before he said "black people...." which was equally cringeworthy, and after that made reference to Alesha being mixed race.

The whole act was embarassingly bad and there wasn't much laughter from the audience. Why he got the gold buzz is beyond me. If he wants to make a serious career out of comedy he needs to ditch the references to colour and work harder on better material.

as mentioned earlier the black/white thing is more of an american thing, and yes it was excruciatingly bad to bring it up on a UK audience. I thought his first audition was OK but not worthy of a golden buzzer for sure.

He'll probably get a few slots on a TV show or something then disappear as quickly as he appeared.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not stereotyping. It's a fact.

I have never seen a black comedian who didn't refer to the colour of his skin either throughout his act or at least during part of it.

On the other hand, I have never seen a white comedian who mentioned his race during his act. White people are a race too, but we don't seem to feel the need to refer to it constantly.

Just because you haven't seen a black comedian who doesn't talk about race doesn't make it a fact. And vice versa for white comedians. And yes you are stereotyping, please stop.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the possible exception of Felix Dexter, I would be reluctant to describe any of those as "comedians."

How and why Gina Yashere gets TV work is a mystery.

You clearly have an issue with black comedians... don't understand why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    as mentioned earlier the black/white thing is more of an american thing, and yes it was excruciatingly bad to bring it up on a UK audience. I thought his first audition was OK but not worthy of a golden buzzer for sure.

He'll probably get a few slots on a TV show or something then disappear as quickly as he appeared.

God forbid!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because you haven't seen a black comedian who doesn't talk about race doesn't make it a fact. And vice versa for white comedians. And yes you are stereotyping, please stop.

You have point. I've seen a few white comedians refer to race both in the US and UK, not forgetting Bernard Manning with his racist jokes.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    He was AWFUL!!! someone please explain why the judges praised him to the heavens??

I actually thought he was good in his audition, but last night was just woeful.

And his Michael Jackson jokes were so tasteless. DO NOT MOCK THE KING!
    Forum Member

No, it is a fact I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    You clearly have an issue with black comedians... don't understand why.

No, you're mistaken again.

I have an "issue" with the comedians mentioned because they are shit. I don't like a lot of white comedians either.