ANOTHER rock station to start on dab..

Comments

• seasiderseasider Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJ007 wrote: »
    Personally I'll be surprised if Eklipse survives until Christmas. I've heard rumblings already that all is not well within the station and there may be departures from the on-air staff within days/weeks.

It looks like Ronny Davies who was co-commentator on the Junior Cup Final coverage last Sunday and presenter of the Saturday afternoon sports show is no longer with the station.
  • AJ007AJ007 Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    archie204 wrote: »
    It looks like Ronny Davies who was co-commentator on the Junior Cup Final coverage last Sunday and presenter of the Saturday afternoon sports show is no longer with the station.

He's not the only one who has left!;-)
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Scotland69am seems to be an internet "bedroom" station with no interest in investment.

You are soooo wrong! ;-)

Maybe you should read the Scotland 69am thread on here instead of taking a swipe!
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange there was a post yesterday by Spencer giving an update and that the station is on air, but seems to now be removed?
    You are soooo wrong! ;-)

Maybe you should read the Scotland 69am thread on here instead of taking a swipe!
    Hope your show goes well, but being internet only will struggle to get a large audience.

Eklipse is now available on a lot of DAB sets with a commercial licence, which unlike community FM radio, has no restrictions on income, hope Eklipse and UTV Switchdigital with local Talksport optouts promote local DAB to make the most of it.
    speculator wrote: »
    There is a active thread about the relaunch of Wirral's community radio station. They report that they have 5 broadcast studios and, as they are recognized by Ofcom, a FM frequency. So are set for a long-term life.
    Being internet or low power FM only will not get the terrestrial audiences regional DAB will get, 7waves/Wirral radio is now going DAB and it may be worth 69am if they are serious contacting UTV to get a DAB deal.
    There is an interesting item from Geneva.
    http://medienwoche.ch/2014/06/06/sag-niemals-nie-schawinskis-neuer-flirt-mit-digitalradio/
    Which roughly translates
    DAB is an expensive technology without an audience. Instead, the media entrepreneur wants to rely on Internet radio. As the MEDIENWOCHE know Schawinski planning a return to digital radio. Starting this summer, Radio 1 and 105 could be received again via DAB in Zurich.

He is rightly considered radio pioneer, but with digital radio wanted Roger Schawinski not be the front runners. "DAB is already too long without success on the market, to create even now the breakthrough," he said six years ago . Nevertheless Schawinski four years later went to Radio 1 digital broadcasting. late 2013 he bought with Radio 105 to a station that was also to receive via DAB. However, not long after the change of ownership.

True to his credo that DAB would cost only and not bring, he put the digital distribution of the two transmitters shortly one after the other . He prefers to sit on internet radio. This is the future, he announced since then constantly. "Internet radio is like a wave upon us, and not as in snoring pace as DAB," he announced in mid-May in Goldbach Mediarena . Is there a prominent voice against DAB digital radio in Switzerland, it is that of Dr. Roger Schawinski.

Now a surprising twist is emerging. Schawinski interested with Radio 1 and 105 apparently for broadcast slots in a new digital radio network, which should still record this year in Zurich its operation.
    Zurich and Geneva will be the first cities to have a low cost open source local mux, similar to the recent Brighton test, which gives small stations without an FM licence, a chance to go terrestrial DAB or DAB+ for less cost.
    Hopefully Ofcom will soon also allow low cost city muxes to be set up in the UK?
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mateo sounding good on his first weekend breakfast show with 'Steve Delahaye' now in as the sports reporter! So no long lie at the weekend for Spencer yet!

Shame Ronnie's left as he was a good turn on weekends.
    Forum Member
    Hope your show goes well, but being internet only will struggle to get a large audience.

So listeners in 195 countries/territories and listenership in excess of 3m is struggling? ;-)

[/QUOTE] Being internet or low power FM only will not get the terrestrial audiences regional DAB will get, 7waves/Wirral radio is now going DAB and it may be worth 69am if they are serious contacting UTV to get a DAB deal.
    .[/QUOTE]

Internet radio will overtake DAB radio in the near future so why waste money?

Re Eklipse, I think it's a good idea but maybe launched too late?
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So listeners in 195 countries/territories and listenership in excess of 3m is struggling? ;-)
    Being internet or low power FM only will not get the terrestrial audiences regional DAB will get, 7waves/Wirral radio is now going DAB and it may be worth 69am if they are serious contacting UTV to get a DAB deal.
    .[/QUOTE]

Internet radio will overtake DAB radio in the near future so why waste money?

Re Eklipse, I think it's a good idea but maybe launched too late?[/QUOTE]

Hate to sound cynical but.......3m? As in 3 million.Really?:o no chance.
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Hate to sound cynical but.......3m? As in 3 million.Really?:o no chance.

Yes and certified by the PPL :)

Anyhow, aren't we going off the topic of the thread, namely Eklipse?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and certified by the PPL :)

Anyhow, aren't we going off the topic of the thread, namely Eklipse?

Back on topic then and the station nailed it spot on yesterday with the Terry Butcher sacking. Alex on drive building up to the footy phone-in then Bill and Hugh with Hibs related people on the phones. Indeed Bill announced he'd said to Hugh to chase up the Rangers finance story earlier but then that was abandoned in favour of this. There was a joke along the lines of 'this is supposed to be the close season......not much going on'.

It may in fact be that the winds are actually with Eklipse Sports Radio With Celtic's change of manager, Hibs and Rangers derring do etc there is still much to talk about and Eklipse are making hay out it, while Clyde 1 just bang out the hits.
  • DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, i agree Eklipse where on the ball yesterday and listened to most of the show

dipping into Central and BBC Scot a few times. I still tend to be leaning to Central the

most but while they are only on an hour and their highlights show is on STV Glasgow, I

have been listening to Eklipse more. I doubt tho alot of people in the west of Scotland

still are not aware of Eklipse or Central dab/Your and mostly tune into Clyde 1 still.

Any updates on TalkSport Scotland programs?

Decisions Decisions... CLYDE 1 - CENTRAL/YOUR - BBC SCOT - EKLIPSE - TALKSPORT

if only SKY SPORTS RADIO was on dab lol

Any updates on D2 ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massive change in music policy on here these days. It isn't really a rock music station anymore, more a slightly leftfield poppy rocky edged mix. Sounds good to my ear.
  • Media PrincessMedia Princess Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Massive change in music policy on here these days. It isn't really a rock music station anymore, more a slightly leftfield poppy rocky edged mix. Sounds good to my ear.

I have to agree, Eklipse is much more pleasing to the ear musically now :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another Pulse 98.4 presenter is now on Eklipse Sports Radio, this time Ian Oliphant.

Now it is right and proper that presenters at Pulse 98.4 who have the ability to move onwards do so, of which Ian is most certainly one!!. In fact it significantly benefits Pulse as the station is seen to offer a very good platform to springboard off from- which is a key driver behind the station after all.

That said it is ringing radio alarm bells in my head. It is a compliment to Pulse 98.4 that it is seen as a station with presentational standards that is worth poaching jocks from. But I hope there may be a quid-pro-quo whereby people who approach Eklipse with potential but need a bit of work are directed Pulse 98.4's way.

If I can be blunt, I don't like the idea of Eklipse Sports Radio bleeding Pulse 98.4 dry.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another Pulse 98.4 presenter is now on Eklipse Sports Radio, this time Ian Oliphant.

Now it is right and proper that presenters at Pulse 98.4 who have the ability to move onwards do so, of which Ian is most certainly one!!. In fact it significantly benefits Pulse as the station is seen to offer a very good platform to springboard off from- which is a key driver behind the station after all.

That said it is ringing radio alarm bells in my head. It is a compliment to Pulse 98.4 that it is seen as a station with presentational standards that is worth poaching jocks from. But I hope there may be a quid-pro-quo whereby people who approach Eklipse with potential but need a bit of work are directed Pulse 98.4's way.

If I can be blunt, I don't like the idea of Eklipse Sports Radio bleeding Pulse 98.4 dry.
    But Eklipse has a commercial licence, covers a wider area and no restrictions on taking advertising whereas Pulse has a restricted community licence.
    But hopefully can work together?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried listening online to Eklipse yesterday and the audio isn't right. They played a Queen song and the guitar was randomly louder than the vocals - possibly a problem with the stereo?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Eklipse has a commercial licence, covers a wider area and no restrictions on taking advertising whereas Pulse has a restricted community licence.
    But hopefully can work together?

Yes, I think it could work in the way that smaller football teams are sometimes seen as 'feeder teams' for bigger ones.

All I am saying is that I am a bit queasy about Eklipse just picking off people at Pulse who best suit their format with no quid pro quo. It is a fact of life that presenters will move on to bigger gigs when going. as I say, and it is to Pulse's benefit if it is seen as a springboard.

But to me the proper thing o do would be for Eklipse to direct people who apply to them but need a bit more work on them Pulse's way. At Pulse they can get 'on air flying hours' under their belt and proper guidance. Eklipse can then use them for deps and succession planning.

Inkblot, agree about the (online) sound. It sounds out of phase and inverted. I'm sure this is an easy fix.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....and , as of this Sunday evening, Eklipse has another new presenter, and doing a cracking job too......

Scott Cuthbertson.......not only yet another poaching from Pulse 98.4 but this time their goddamned programme controller!!

Eklipse have rights to junior sporting commentary later this month so given the fact they are sharing so much personel there must be a strong case for Pulse 98.4 putting Eklipse's weekend afternoon sports content out on FM and treating the show as a joint venture.
  • Craig KellyCraig Kelly Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the Pulse DJs still doing their shows on Pulse or have they move to Eklipse and left Pulse entirely?

By the way, 'Steve Delahaye' aka Eklipse MD Spencer Pryor, has popped-up on Your Radio (now based in Clydebank at C&F Press) doing the news and sports bulletins this morning. Personal deal or has Your outsourced news and sport to Eklipse I wonder?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Only 3 current Pulse 98.4 presenters have actually went to Eklipse Sports Radio all 3 still do work for Pulse 98.4
    Another 2 current Pulse 98.4 presenters are with Bauer and are doing well with the Bauer academy, didn't see that being a problem, and are still happy to participate with Pulse 98.4
    Irvine Beat took a presenter from Pulse 98.4 and he doesn't participate with Pulse 98.4 anymore, and he does still donate to the station.

Pulse 98.4 community radio station are always happy when any of their Presenters get another position at any other station, seems they are doing something right.
    I hope in some way this has put all your minds at ease and you can rest easy.
  • DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the Pulse DJs still doing their shows on Pulse or have they move to Eklipse and left Pulse entirely?

By the way, 'Steve Delahaye' aka Eklipse MD Spencer Pryor, has popped-up on Your Radio (now based in Clydebank at C&F Press) doing the news and sports bulletins this morning. Personal deal or has Your outsourced news and sport to Eklipse I wonder?

hhmmm interesting. Maybe Your Radio ready to ditch Peter & Roughys phone in for Eklipse output ? ? Or maybe not lol

Also how come Peter & Roughys show is now cut to an hour?
    I know it happened over the summer but thought it would have been put back to 2hrs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hhmmm interesting. Maybe Your Radio ready to ditch Peter & Roughys phone in for Eklipse output ? ? Or maybe not lol

Also how come Peter & Roughys show is now cut to an hour?
    I know it happened over the summer but thought it would have been put back to 2hrs.

I had assumed that the reduction to an hour was connected with the start of the show on STV Glasgow?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dinnadoit wrote: »
    Only 3 current Pulse 98.4 presenters have actually went to Eklipse Sports Radio all 3 still do work for Pulse 98.4
    Another 2 current Pulse 98.4 presenters are with Bauer and are doing well with the Bauer academy, didn't see that being a problem, and are still happy to participate with Pulse 98.4
    Irvine Beat took a presenter from Pulse 98.4 and he doesn't participate with Pulse 98.4 anymore, and he does still donate to the station.

Pulse 98.4 community radio station are always happy when any of their Presenters get another position at any other station, seems they are doing something right.
    I hope in some way this has put all your minds at ease and you can rest easy.

Good good good. Although another Pulse presenter joined at Eklipse launch but left after a month. So that makes 4 in as many months.

It does now seem that Pulse 98.4 is the place to be where great presenters get experience and are 'blooded' in the West Central Scotland radio market then move up.

I know Pulse 98.4 it is a great place to be too so highly recommend it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the station name has changed to Eklipse Rock Sports
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archie204 wrote: »
    Looks like the station name hs changed to Eklipse Rock Sports

Sounds like a rock climbing centre 😆
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has breakfast presenter Chris Kane left the station?