Options

Rajar Q2 2014

Comments

• Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't like to be the people running Capital Xtra or the people behind the rebranding of Choice FM. Half the London audience lost in a year - ouch!
  • Options
    Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heart Scotland is through the floor. Their problem is that people who historically listened to this station expect the chance to win big local prizes like cars and money. Since that isn't there anymore, nor is the audience.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    The station comparison graphs with the latest data are now up at www.radiotoday.co.uk/rajar
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Well Smooth in London are the big winners. magic feeling the heat from Smooths success too.
    Smooth London's reach is up by 88.2% Y-on-Y.
    Hours have also gone up by 138%.
    I wouldn't like to be the people running Capital Xtra or the people behind the rebranding of Choice FM. Half the London audience lost in a year - ouch!
    Reach down 47.7% Y-on-Y.
    Hours down 51.6%
    Heart Scotland is through the floor. Their problem is that people who historically listened to this station expect the chance to win big local prizes like cars and money. Since that isn't there anymore, nor is the audience.

Hours down 30% Y-on-Y.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good graphs from Paul Easton, Smooth doing well in London, but the new Smooth breakfast show is still not working?
    http://pauleaston.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/london-rajar-q22013.html
    A big listener backlash in London from loosing Choice's black programming and some djs to Capital xtra, but it's national reach has gone up?
    Maybe Choice type black music programmes will return to air on new FM community licences rather than pirates?

Overall DAB listening gone up slightly, online listening to UK stations static and radio via digital TV listening down, which means digital share is now static at 36.8% which makes getting the 50% target for a DSO harder?
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The effect of Lbc going national DAB will be interesting IMO..

Well, that was interesting.

A very quick glance at the graphs shows both LBC and Five Live pretty much static. We shall reconvene for another attempt at your Five Live Armageddon prediction in 3 months time then.:)
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Well, that was interesting.

A very quick glance at the graphs shows both LBC and Five Live pretty much static. We shall reconvene for another attempt at your Five Live Armageddon prediction in 3 months time then.:)

Yes. Best to include TALKSPORT too for the next period - I think this would include the World Cup. In Rio. I find it interesting that people listen considerably less hours to Five each day. People are switching off or over.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    In Aberdeen Original 106 continues to grow at the expense of Northsound 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time for radio 3 to be replaced by 6 music on FM?
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heart Scotland is through the floor.
    It will bounce back. Bear in mind Real became Heart just 5 weeks before the end of the fieldwork for this quarter.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »

There is no chance of that happening, the Trust wouldn't allow it.

6 Music is also doing a nice job of promoting DAB.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic lost Phear too Smooth. They slightly changed there schedules around when he left, leaving Martin Collins on Afternoons where he had a following on Weekend Breakfast, putting Justin Wilkes there from Kiss and listeners getting used too him. Now Nick Snaith has come in will Heart listeners move to magic?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic / Heart / Smooth Early Breakfast have some good voices who will top next time?Plus others around like Radio 2 and LBC Steve Allen or London Beeb James Max etc?
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said more or less a good set of figures for the new Smooth, wasn't expecting such a good growth in London so fast (although it is early days). I didn’t agree with those who said it could be Top 5 in London in the next two-three years (I just thought it would slowly pick away at Magic) but maybe that could happen?

I wasn’t surprised to see Heart Scotland dip – at the high points of its history Real Radio was very much Central Scotland through and through and a change of name indicates the move away from that (even though it had already changed) so was likely to see some churn. However as the Heart launches happened a good way into these figures be interesting to see how the final two quarters of this year play out.

In relation to Capital Xtra I am wondering in London if it is shedding a lot of ‘heritage’ listeners Choice FM had picked up who had grown up with the station? As it is now effectively a national service and the overall figures seems to be balancing itself out.

I have noticed Planet Rock have lost some in the West Midlands where they are available on FM and replaced Kerrang! last year, effectively a change of format. I believe they have recently started advertising on billboards so maybe that will reverse in the future.

Radio 3 is classic Public Service Broadcasting and likely to appeal to decision makers so that is unlikely to happen. If Radio 3 did give up FM and become digital only (which I think could be a benefit for DAB) I would like it to be handed to Ofcom - for a well planned network of commercial local services for areas where there is clear demand since the local station had become more regional, community licences and maybe if it fits some sort of quasi-national FM showcase for a D1 or D2 service.

Won't happen though!
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    The station comparison graphs with the latest data are now up at www.radiotoday.co.uk/rajar

Well done Vinnie and Co for your excellent work as usual.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xfm appears to be up in Manchester and down in London. Is there a reason for this, or is it just margin of error?
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not going to happen for the reasons already stated on this thread. It would be far more likely for 6Music to replace Radio 1 (I mean, promoted to FM), but that'll be more down to ideology than ratings which I have discussed in length on other relevant threads.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Excellent figures from Norwich 99.9 such an improved station over the past few months. Oh and they do have a no repeat 9 to 5 workday Smarty. :D
  • Options
    jamie smith909jamie smith909 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Alan Brazil just being congratulated on his record figures...

"well done 1 and a half million listeners a week" Dominic Cork

"and the rest, and the rest ..." said Alan
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    As others have said more or less a good set of figures for the new Smooth, wasn't expecting such a good growth in London so fast (although it is early days). I didn’t agree with those who said it could be Top 5 in London in the next two-three years (I just thought it would slowly pick away at Magic) but maybe that could happen?

I wasn’t surprised to see Heart Scotland dip – at the high points of its history Real Radio was very much Central Scotland through and through and a change of name indicates the move away from that (even though it had already changed) so was likely to see some churn. However as the Heart launches happened a good way into these figures be interesting to see how the final two quarters of this year play out.

In relation to Capital Xtra I am wondering in London if it is shedding a lot of ‘heritage’ listeners Choice FM had picked up who had grown up with the station? As it is now effectively a national service and the overall figures seems to be balancing itself out.

I have noticed Planet Rock have lost some in the West Midlands where they are available on FM and replaced Kerrang! last year, effectively a change of format. I believe they have recently started advertising on billboards so maybe that will reverse in the future.

Radio 3 is classic Public Service Broadcasting and likely to appeal to decision makers so that is unlikely to happen. If Radio 3 did give up FM and become digital only (which I think could be a benefit for DAB) I would like it to be handed to Ofcom - for a well planned network of commercial local services for areas where there is clear demand since the local station had become more regional, community licences and maybe if it fits some sort of quasi-national FM showcase for a D1 or D2 service.

Won't happen though!

Some, it's been a disaster, leaked about 33%. They went with the wrong horse with PR over Kerrang. They should have just properly relocated Kerrang! to London, and kept it live.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC 3CR, off the cliff.

For local radio is it too big a patch, with too many diverse communities with none or little in common?
  • Options
    HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great figures for Nick Grimshaw! The average age of a radio one listener at breakfast is now 17! JOB DONE, well done Nick.
  • Options
    MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At least the trust won't let that happen.

Quality of broadcasting and output should count for more the sheer quantity of listeners at the BBC rather than vice versa in the commercial sector.

Given that Radio 3 is the only BBC station without a "sister" station (Radio 1 + 1extra, Radio2 + 6music, Radio 4 + 4extra and Radio 5 + Sports Extra) then classical music can hardly be described as being over catered for!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Mall wrote: »
    At least the trust won't let that happen.

Quality of broadcasting and output should count for more the sheer quantity of listeners at the BBC rather than vice versa in the commercial sector.

Given that Radio 3 is the only BBC station without a "sister" station (Radio 1 + 1extra, Radio2 + 6music, Radio 4 + 4extra and Radio 5 + Sports Extra) then classical music can hardly be described as being over catered for!

If there was a like button on here I would be clicking it for this statement ... so so true!