Options

1st MOT

bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
Forum Member
Can a ‘new car’ have it's first MOT test at any date, or does the test have to take place within 1-month of the vehicles 3rd anniversary?

.......e.g. can a test be done 2-months before the 3rd anniversary?

Comments

• Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Can a ‘new car’ have it's first MOT test at any date, or does the test have to take place within 1-month of the vehicles 3rd anniversary?

You can have the mot done at anytime, but the anniversary date will be 12 months from the date of the test and not the actual 3 year anniversary.

In other words, you will lose a month's mot in your case.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    You can have the mot done at anytime, but the anniversary date will be 12 months from the date of the test and not the actual 3 year anniversary.

Thanks Waj; that's what I thought but it's good to have it confirmed by someone in the 'trade'....cheers. ;-)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »

If it's within a certain time before the test (I think it's a month) and you take the log book, the certificate will run from the anniversary date. For subsequent tests, you take the then-current certificate.

I don't even know whether you need the log book or MOT cert these days - it may be automatic.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    If it's within a certain time before the test (I think it's a month) and you take the log book, the certificate will run from the anniversary date. For subsequent tests, you take the then-current certificate.

I don't even know whether you need the log book or MOT cert these days - it may be automatic.

My guess it’s the same as the tax disc no longer required so your local cop’s already knows if the car has tax, MOT and insurance without seeing any bits of paper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »

My lease car was registered the 10th November 2011 and the leasing company insist on having the car MOT before the 3 year lease expires so I ask the dealer just last Wednesday how soon can the car be in for the MOT and was told it can be anytime in the month before registration up to the date of the registration third year anniversary.

So my car was registered the 10th November 2011 and can have its MOT any time from the 1st of October 2014 and up to the 10th of November 2014 and even if the car was registered on the 30th November the time scale would still be the 1st of October in my case. This is what the car dealer told me so I assume they should know.

I don’t know when the new MOT expires but that’s no concern for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    .................... was told it can be anytime in the month before registration up to the date of the registration third year anniversary.

............................. even if the car was registered on the 30th November the time scale would still be the 1st of October in my case. ....................

If I were told that, I'd take it to be the four weeks or so prior to the anniversary date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were told that, I'd take it to be the four weeks or so prior to the anniversary date.

It’s all according to when the car was first registered if for an example the car was registered on the 31st of January it earliest MOT could be the 1st of December so more or less 2 months earlier however if the car was registered the 1st of January then the earliest MOT would still be the 1st of December so only one month, again I’ve only been told that by my dealer and they do get things wrong sometimes.

If as pointed out by others here the one or two months are not added to the registration date then like other have said it’s just a waste of money getting the MOT early unless this is incorrect and the up to 2 months gets added to the date of the first registration. This I do not know because my car is lease hired so I don’t see any paperwork for the car except the lease hire agreement.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't actually need any paperwork.
    The old mot or log book is only required as a convenience for the mot tester as he has to log the last 6 digits of the chassis number into his computer for the system to recognise the car being presented for test....it saves him manually writing the chassis number down!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    It’s all according to when the car was first registered if for an example the car was registered on the 31st of January it earliest MOT could be the 1st of December so more or less 2 months earlier.....................

The official wording is "1 month before", so it's a period counted back from the date it's required.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/the-mot-test
    My MOT is due in two months time. Can I take it before this date?

Yes, but the MOT certificate is only valid for 12 months from the date of the test. If you take it 1 month before the due date then the MOT is valid for 13 months

http://www.ukmot.com/faq.asp