Doctor Who: Flatline - 18/10/2014 (BBC One/HD-8:25pm) Thread

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Everything solved by a sonic screwdriver again.

Can't say that bothered me this time as it's only being used 2-3 times this series and by then it had being scanning them for hours so it's not like he just pulled it out and it knew what to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Only downside is the role of Danny (ie why???) but Ive got a funny feeling there's more to his character then meets the eye...........

Danny is there to drive whatever story line they are doing about the Dr not liking soldiers at this point and also as someone for Clara to eventually realise what it is like being the Dr in both having to lie to keep people safe abut also caring about them and also the 'addiction' of time travel and adventure.

I think this season is about telling everyone what the Dr is like and has always been like but has been in the back ground a little bit over the past seasons.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    eggshell wrote: »
    Sorry, I am red hot on them leaving glaring gaps in story logic that the audience have to fill in themselves but I think you are looking for unnecessary exposition here.

None if your questions add anything to the story and the lack of obvious answers takes nothing away.

For me this was a story about 2D creatures finding a 3D universe, exploring it then adapting to it. They were draining "dimensional" energy from the Tardis which resulted in one of its dimensions shrinking..they couldn't make it 2D because it's bigger on the inside.

Felt all that self evident...how did they absorb energy...I don't care !

Completely agree, with the Bib being particularly relevant to myself (no-one was more frustrated than me about Amy's baby being all-but-forgotten, not to mention who blew up the ****** Tardis, etc!) but I had no problem with anything in this episode apart from the Boneless disappearing from the chase at such handy times - e.g. leaving the (excellently acted I thought) grafitti chappie enough time to knock up a realistic door - and some clumsy direction.

There were far bigger problems with Mummy that I haven't seen anyone mention but then I haven't read too much about that ep on here except for near universal praise (I loved it too on the whole but there is at least one major plot problem with it imo).
    bp2 wrote: »
    The TARDIS has 3 dimensions. Any point in the TARDIS can be located using 3 coordinates. The R and the D in the TARDIS refers to the fact that the inside is bigger than the outside and dimensions in that sense refer to size not the mathematical definition of dimension.

As for your first point no because the Doctor was saying they thought humans were hand prints and foot prints or something similar after they first travelled in 3 dimensions.

I'm not huge on the 'lore' but it seems obvious to me that there's dimensional energy in/tied up with the Tardis and the Boneless would have immediately targeted it.

The point they 'realised' 3D (if they indeed did - that was only what the Doctor thought at the time) doesn't matter imo - they were interacting with 3D people even when 'uninformed' (ditto) 2D. They just latched on to anything they could, full stop.

We never heard their side of the story, again we didn't need to, and the show was all the better for it for me (like the bed kid/monster in Listen).
    saralund wrote: »
    Anyone know why the psychic paper didn't work on the grumpy supervisor?
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    No imagination I think was the explanation. The bloke was properly joyless!

If that wasn't a throwaway line (always hard to tell!) I do find that poor.

The 'Thing from Adams Family' bits and the 'Clara gets sledgehammer out of handbag' moment made me chuckle too.

Yeah was really great stuff, made me grin like anything :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As has been said before it was the field created by the TARDIS that saved them all; the sonic just extended the field to destroy the 2D beings...i.e. it was more of a remote control.

And the sonic has been used all the time over the Nu Who seasons - the problem is that the BBC (via BBC Worldwide) will be earning money from selling them as toys so 'need' them in the shows...wonder what would be said to a showrunner if they said they were dumping the Sonic for a bit...the BBC would most likely say: nope, too much of a revenue stream for us...and we never cross the (revenue) streams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    First episode this season that I've voted "Excellent" for although there generally seems to have been an upward trend in terms of quality as Iit's gone along.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know why the psychic paper didn't work on the grumpy supervisor?
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    No imagination I think was the explanation. The bloke was properly joyless!
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    If that wasn't a throwaway line (always hard to tell!) I do find that poor.

I'm fairly sure that there has been another occasion when the psychic paper didn't work, and for the same reason , but I can't place it at the moment. It certainly linked in to last week when the train captain's "worst nightmare" turned out to be a mystery shopper - how does a piece of psychic paper that shows confirms that the person holding it is who you imagine them to be work if you don't have the imagination to picture anybody?

In terms of story telling - it establishes the psychic paper as being fallible (and just think how weakly the line "oh, it doesn't always work" would have come across!). There may well be another instance of its not working coming up, and it's always best to establish something as a possibility when it doesn't really matter than to spring it on the audience only at the critical moment.

It's also an amusing reversal of the "Jedi Mind Trick" only working on the weak-willed.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    BEST....EPISODE...EVER!!

Seriously, I really really enjoyed that one, surprising even myself.
    The right combination of humour, drama and Sci-Fi.
    All the scenes with the teeny tiny TARDIS were a delight, Clara front and centre and having the Doctor as almost a director's commentary was a great choice, led to a lot of funny lines.

The only thing I wasn't keen on was the cliche'd "angry man hates everything and is negative about everything the heroes try to achieve" character.
    Could've done without him or at least him learning a lesson, but no he is completely un-changed by the amazing experiences and continues looking down on people.

Felt like every Slitheen episode ever, there's always a closed minded war monger trying to sabotage the peace dealings, etc, this guy felt exactly like that.
    Wish he'd been smacked by Clara tbh.

Aside from him, equal best of the season so far imo, along with Rusty ;)
  • Simon_AmblerSimon_Ambler Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    looking forward to the big reveal set up by this weeks episode
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that there has been another occasion when the psychic paper didn't work, and for the same reason , but I can't place it at the moment. It certainly linked in to last week when the train captain's "worst nightmare" turned out to be a mystery shopper - how does a piece of psychic paper that shows confirms that the person holding it is who you imagine them to be work if you don't have the imagination to picture anybody?

In terms of story telling - it establishes the psychic paper as being fallible (and just think how weakly the line "oh, it doesn't always work" would have come across!). There may well be another instance of its not working coming up, and it's always best to establish something as a possibility when it doesn't really matter than to spring it on the audience only at the critical moment.

It's also an amusing reversal of the "Jedi Mind Trick" only working on the weak-willed.

Excellent points - many thanks :)

I'm pretty sure I remember it happening with Tennant, but wasn't it Shakespeare or someone with huge psychic abilities or intuition - ?

I just didn't like it very much on what was quite an unpleasant character with no 'special' skills and no redeeming qualities, but hey - hopefully no biggie in the grander scheme :)
  • billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    Excellent points - many thanks :)

I'm pretty sure I remember it happening with Tennant, but wasn't it Shakespeare or someone with huge psychic abilities or intuition - ?

I just didn't like it very much on what was quite an unpleasant character with no 'special' skills and no redeeming qualities, but hey - hopefully no biggie in the grander scheme :)

Yes, I watched the Shakespeare episode the other day and it didn't work on the Bard, because he had too much imagination!
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly sure that there has been another occasion when the psychic paper didn't work, and for the same reason

It didn't work on William Shakespeare for the opposite reason! He had too much imagination.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or the first Master's hypnotism not working on everyone (Jo Grant, for example).
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick note about the poll. Coming to vote I notice that there isn't an average option this week and perhaps there should be for people who thought the episode was neither good nor bad . Was there for previous 2 episodes

I know that these polls aren't scientific and I'm not stirring but it would be nice to have some consistency each week. I think there very little difference between very good & excellent options imo
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think there very little difference between very good & excellent options imo

On the other hand there have been episodes where I wanted a very good option "Time Heist" for example where I thought it was better than good but maybe not quite excellent.
  • Kane_SmithKane_Smith Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Quick message to those who moaned at me for not having a poll on the thread, apologise for not having one in time and another thing, i don't work to your schedule, i do have a life outside these forums. Be glad a moderator added the polls in.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a bad little story. I enjoyed it.
    It was quite an interesting approach and felt different. Pretty interesting visual effects going on there too.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I watched the Shakespeare episode the other day and it didn't work on the Bard, because he had too much imagination!

Ah, it doesn't work at the extremes!

Rather bigoted of the Doctor to assume that the guy was at that end of the spectrum :D

Still, I'd probably have assumed the same myself.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the other hand there have been episodes where I wanted a very good option "Time Heist" for example where I thought it was better than good but maybe not quite excellent.

I take your point James as I have felt the same at times. I still think the margin between very good and excellent is smaller than good and excellent obviously. Maybe theret needs to be 6 options on the poll ?
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    so so bored of danny pink i really am starting to not care anything about who he is, maybe he isnt real and will die in last episode or he has to make a sacrifice and none of us will be bothered by it as his character is Soooooooooooo boring !!!

To you, maybe. I'm liking him more and more as he seems like a decent bloke saddled with a girlfriend who sees nothing wrong in effectively two-timing him and lying to him every time she opens her mouth. He's probably a plot device as well with a relevant backstory we don't know about yet, but I hope he's still around at the end of the series. Preferably walking off into the sunset with Clara so we can have a new companion next year.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take your point James as I have felt the same at times. I still think the margin between very good and excellent is smaller than good and excellent obviously. Maybe theret needs to be 6 options on the poll ?

I see your point but I think 5 is the right number, 2 positive 2 negative and 1 neutral
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just realised that there was a character called Fenton, but no instances AFAIK of anyone running after him screaming 'Fenton!" I'm wondering if a joke got cut?
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just realised that there was a character called Fenton, but no instances AFAIK of anyone running after him screaming 'Fenton!" I'm wondering if a joke got cut?

That would have made my year!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    allen_who wrote: »
    Anybody else think last nights ep was a cleverly constructed doctor lite episode. ..

No, it was a Dalek light episode and a lets tart up the external shot light episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    WelshNige wrote: »
    I see your point but I think 5 is the right number, 2 positive 2 negative and 1 neutral

I agree. I tend to just ignore the description and vote out of 5, far simpler :)
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member

Wrong everything was not solved by the sonic but the ending was.

I seem to remember the 3d to 2d device too