Whats the difference between a smart phone and a Symbian phone.

homer911homer911 Posts: 5,198
Forum Member
i thought they were the same thing but i'm not sure.

Comments

• QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not the same thing.

A Nokia 6600 is a smart phone, but it runs Symbian. The orange smartphone runs on a Microsoft OS.

Symbian is the most popular OS on the phone market at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Easiest way to think about it is to relate it to say Computers.
    Symbian is an Operating system, ie Windows or Linux.
    A smartphone is just a marketing ploy for the hardware platform ie a PC, or a Mac.
    As ripsaw said Symbian is the most popular smartphone OS just now, but be careful there are 2 distinct versions that arn't compatible with each other. Series 60 used by nokia, and UIQ used by motorla & sony ericsson.
  • bob2002bob2002 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smartphone 2002 and the new Windows Mobile 2003 will run your visual basic programs, and now vb.net (only on Windows Mobile 2003)

When they've sorted the problems - Windows Based phones will be twice as powerful and adaptable as the Symbians.

That said - I wouldnt advise anyone buy a Orange E200 until the software update is released to fix a few problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I certainly think after more development that Microsoft OS will be much better than Symbian. And I think the UIQ symbian version used but SE and Moto is better than the version used by Nokia. (I am only comparing SE UIQ vs Nokia, I have not used a moto with it)
  • JustincoxJustincox Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    A smartphone is a mobile phone built on a mobile operating system, with more advanced computing capability connectivity than a feature phone. smartphones can be powered by:
    1. Windows Mobile
    2. iPhone OS
    3. Google’s Android
    4. Symbian OS
    5. RIM’s BlackBerry
    6. Palm’s WebOS
    7. Linux
    Symbian is a mobile operating system (OS) and computing platform designed for smartphones. The biggest advantage of Symbian software is that it wholly facilitates the usage of all Google applications in your smartphone with ease. One impressive feature Symbian users have always enjoyed is that Symbian is more of phone priority software. The phone aspects of Android don’t really work that great, and can be confusing at times.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why resurrect a 9 year old thread? What was the point? We've moved on from this, the term 'smart-phone' is more widely known now, you don't have to prove anything.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Why resurrect a 9 year old thread? What was the point? We've moved on from this, the term 'smart-phone' is more widely known now, you don't have to prove anything.

he's a spammer bumping up his post count before letting loose with his payload.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he's a spammer bumping up his post count before letting loose with his payload.

Great minds etc. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=65559806&postcount=1498 :D
  • mikesuffsmikesuffs Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    The difference between Symbian and a smartphone is about 54 hours!
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The information isn't even 100% accurate anymore as iPhone OS is (and has been for years) called iOS and also RIM no longer exists as a company, now called Blackberry.

It looks to me as if the post is a copy and paste from some sort of tech article from several years ago.

Edit: In fact the entire first sentence is a copy and paste from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer911 wrote: »
    i thought they were the same thing but i'm not sure.

Whats the difference between a smart phone and a Symbian phone?

A: About 5 years.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »

Symbian is the most popular OS on the phone market at the moment.

I thought I was living on another planet when I read this :eek: then I looked at the date :o:o
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Symbian is good. My Nokia 808 is still getting updates as recently as last week and the latest release works very well. But if you're an app junkie I'd understand why you would want to move on.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Symbian isn't very smart??? :)