What quirky things does your cat do?

Comments

• Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Tabby1963 wrote: »

My previous cats, Sooty and Tabby also loved going for walks with me. I would be interested to know if anyone else's cats do this?

Ours used to try and follow mum and dad to the pub :D as soon as they heard the door they would follow them. We lived in a quiet area with lots of fields and woodlands but the pub involved walking along the busiest road in the village. For that reason the cats werent allowed to follow.

When my parents went out, me and my sister would have to shut the cats in the living room for 10 minutes before they could be released :D

Used to be a pain walking to the bus stop for school if one of the cats saw us leave! We had to creep out quietly or feed them then run down the road so by the time they were finished they couldnt see where we had gone!
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tabby1963 wrote: »
    Oh doors! My two will sometimes sit patiently at the door waiting to be let out (or so I think). I get up, open the door and they WALK AWAY, or just sit staring out. Infuriating. I guess they are exercising their power to make me do things...

Ha ha ha :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know at the moment. Mine are in a temporary home with a mediator until I get back to Brazil.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a few mins of stroking, both mine do a dramatic flop onto their backs / side, to invite me to tickle their tummies. When I oblige they immediately leap up as if put out by my impertinence for trying to tickle them :eek::p
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Of my three they all do something each

Pickle (tortie) loves to eat any plastic she can find - also she won't walk over to her food, Lady P has to be carried

Lulu (slightly chubby tabby) is the classic scardy cat- people think we only have two. Often I see a lump in the middle of the bed and its her hiding away

Muffin our black and white falls asleep laid on her back with her legs in the air- very lady like
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    After a few mins of stroking, both mine do a dramatic flop onto their backs / side, to invite me to tickle their tummies. When I oblige they immediately leap up as if put out by my impertinence for trying to tickle them :eek::p

Showing you their vulnerable bellies is a cats' way of saying "I trust you". My cat doesn't mind me stroking her belly (though not for long) but it maybe yours are a bit sensitive there or find it "ticklish".
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine lie on their backs and look at me as if to say "tickle me" but then I do that and they grab my hand with their paws and try and (affectionately) bite me! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every now and then in the mornings our cat will go absolutely mental trying to get into my son's room, really yowling and battering his door, and trembling. I couldn't work out what triggered it.

My son has autism, and he's often away in his own little world, but he can be very perceptive too. When I mentioned it the other day, he said that she always runs upstairs calling for him when my opposite neighbours smoke alarm goes off in the morning. This morning I heard the alarm (faintly) and our cat flew past me, up the stairs and was trying to get into his room again.

Ss she's either trying to save him, or trying to hide in his room!
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our two are total opposites.

Basil - 3 1/2 years old part persian, big black monster, so soppy and laid back it's untrue. It seems he has spent all winter hibernating on the footstool, waiting for spring to arrive. Shows only signs of urgency when the cat bowls are picked up or the fridge is opened, a sign cheese may be available or his drug of choice Morrisons Cat Milk.

Compared with...

Pippin - 1 1/2 years old, incredibly cute to look at runt of the litter, tiny grey/white cat, butter wouldn't melt appearance but an absolute total headcase. Favourite past times include sitting on top of the fish tank, sitting on top of our tarantula tank, bouncing around kithcen work surfaces, playing in carrier bags, a fascination with water. if I turn a tap on in the kitchen he's there. He's prowls around the sink whilst i'm washing up. If I turn the tap onto a trickle it drives him nuts just sits at the side of the basin getting his head wet whilst taking swipes at the water. He's lost patches of fur a few months ago which is very slowly growing back but due to the light colour of his fur under his top coat he looks like he has bald patches. He tends to jump over items, including Basil if they are in his way, going round things is just unheard of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    My two love to tear up tissues. It's their favourite way to wind up my boyfriend!

One of mine feeds himself cat food by scooping it up in his paw. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Food related one!

One of my cats gets food in his mouth, chews it a bit, then spits some out on the floor, as if to examine it, and then eats it off the floor.

Silly thing :D
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    My cat loves to push open any closed door, look through it and then walk off the other way - leaving us in a nice cold draught.

Also he turns into devil-kitty if you look at him through the banisters for some reason!

And he always talks while he's eating, which sounds just like the Charlie Says cat when he gets a fish :D
  • station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old cat used to meet me from the car , no matter what time it was, he'd wait until I parked and sit by the door.

I'd get out and say "Hello son" meeeoowww he'd reply.

"Gotta walk me down are ya", chrip he'd go. Off we go down to the house, he'd occasionally roll over

He was lovely
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Ollie is 8 months old, ginger and white...... he loves to shower with me, he'll get sopping wet, but doesn't bother him any.... lol.... funny lil furry... we adore him loads
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    station31 wrote: »
    My old cat used to meet me from the car , no matter what time it was, he'd wait until I parked and sit by the door.

I'd get out and say "Hello son" meeeoowww he'd reply.

"Gotta walk me down are ya", chrip he'd go. Off we go down to the house, he'd occasionally roll over

He was lovely

Aww! One of mine sits on the path, waiting for me to come home, and when I say to him "where's your sister?" she comes running :)

Also mine can be asleep in another room, I can say the word "chicken" in a normal voice, and within 30 seconds, they're both sat on the mat behind me waiting :D
  • station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny story, although not at the time.

I was staying last week at my parents after surgery, got to see both my wee fury friends,

Amber old (15 I think) torte very talkative and sweet, shes lying on my bed sleeping, been there a while, Mum comes in, starts to fuss Amber, there's nothing, no moment, no response, very unusual, mum starts to panic, which starts to put me in the same state, I cant find a pulse or anything. Rings my dad, trying to stay calm, but I'm anything but, dad comes in, tries the same we did, she wakes up and smacks him one across the face
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eddi does the annoying thing of waiting at the back door wanting to go out, when let out, if it's cold or wet, she changes her mind and trots to the front door and cries to go out there. Clearly in her world there is two universes - the front door one and the back door one.

Minstrel is a bit too clever. We have a "Dreamies Tin" (necessary because she'd steal the dreamies packets). Now, whenever she comes in she'll trot to the tin, sit in front of it, pat the top 3-4 times then wait, staring at you wagging her tail. If you don't immediately respond then she'll tap it again, and again... If that doesn't work she'll tap your leg, when that doesn't work she'll gum your leg. She knows how to get what she wants. She's also taken to eating with her paw - either Dreamies, or even soft cat food - she'll scoop a bit up and eat it direct from her paw. Oh, and - embarrassingly - she'll jump into my wife's trousers, around her ankles whilst she's on the toilet... that's probably something I shouldn't mention.

Tiny, well, he's only a little kitten so it's a bit early for him to have developed many traits, but he has an annoying habit of jumping behind your back and the sofa/chair and falling asleep, which kinda makes for an uncomfortable sitting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Ahhh, I love this thread, makes me laugh and I'm glad that my cats are not the only mad ones!

My ginger and white female has developed a new "trick" since this morning...I woke up to a loud noise coming from the cat flap so I went downstairs to see if all was ok (thought one of them had got stuck outside) but turns out she was indoors and was just hitting the flap with her paw so that it would make a crashing noise.
    Then, as i came down the stairs, she ran into the kitchen and sat by her bowl, clearly ready for breakfast!
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    station31 wrote: »
    Funny story, although not at the time.

I was staying last week at my parents after surgery, got to see both my wee fury friends,

Amber old (15 I think) torte very talkative and sweet, shes lying on my bed sleeping, been there a while, Mum comes in, starts to fuss Amber, there's nothing, no moment, no response, very unusual, mum starts to panic, which starts to put me in the same state, I cant find a pulse or anything. Rings my dad, trying to stay calm, but I'm anything but, dad comes in, tries the same we did, she wakes up and smacks him one across the face

:D:D - Made me laugh. Naughty, naughty girl!
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, I love this thread, makes me laugh and I'm glad that my cats are not the only mad ones!

My ginger and white female has developed a new "trick" since this morning...I woke up to a loud noise coming from the cat flap so I went downstairs to see if all was ok (thought one of them had got stuck outside) but turns out she was indoors and was just hitting the flap with her paw so that it would make a crashing noise.
    Then, as i came down the stairs, she ran into the kitchen and sat by her bowl, clearly ready for breakfast
    !

Obviously her 'bell' for summoning food !!!:D
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    another couple of things mine does:

she's a faddy eater and often just leaves her food when it's in a bowl on the floor. However, if I elevate it by putting it on the work surface in the kitchen (I allow her to go on one small section) she'll eat the food. Sometimes she's still faddy and I then resort to what I can only describe as mental behaviour on my part - pretending to pick some of the food up myself and eating it. She soon looks concerned and then wolfs the food down. I'm worried that one day someone will go by my kitchen window and see me pretend to eat the cat food out of her bowl!!!!

Similar to others, when she wants to go out she whine and whine at the door. If it's too cold or raining, she'll look out, look at me, and then start whining and chastising me, as if it's all my fault the weather is bad. Then toddle off back to the living room. 3 minutes later she's at the door again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whereas one of mine (it's always the bloody long haired one! :D ) loves going out in the rain, then comes in dripping wet, and does this dramatic rolling about on the floor, drying himself until I can grab him in a towel :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Obviously her 'bell' for summoning food !!!:D

ha ha! I'd not thought of it like that but I did come running so clearly she is on to something.
    When will I not live under the misconception that i'm the one in charge?! :rolleyes:
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Sometimes, when I take my slippers off, my cat decides to try them on...

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/2814/201303060231251.jpg

Sometimes he tries my dressing gown...

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/3433/20130208190019.jpg
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Sometimes, when I take my slippers off, my cat decides to try them on...

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/2814/201303060231251.jpg

Sometimes he tries my dressing gown...

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/3433/20130208190019.jpg

:) He's a lovely, handsome boy, Fizzbin.