What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Tell - Claire Seeber
  • Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    Have read the whole Mo Hayder Jack Caffrey series (and discovered it was at different times and books were released at different periods). Wow :o not that it took away from my initial enjoyment at the time, but got to admit to feeling there was disjointment of the storyline of the main protagonist.

However, there should be no problem now with a start to end on the series. However, my own preference in terms of readability is the first of the series....Birdman. And then the second one. As for the others, you can give them a miss right up to Poppet and Wolf.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    The film is good fun.:)

Ooh never knew there was a film. I'll look out for that

Now reading Penelope Evans - The Last Girl
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finishing 'Caught' by Harlan Coben. Really enjoyed it, although not quite as good as 'Stay Close' (which I finished last week).

For some reason I haven't got into Harlan Coben before, but now I'm hooked. Really loving all the dry, sarcastic banter among the characters.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am reading 'The Food of Love Cooking School' by Nicky Pellegrino.
    I love all the descriptions of Italy in her books.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inferno by Dan Brown.
  • steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Summer of the Bear - Bella Pollen

This is the 3rd book of hers I've read, all very different but all good reads.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KP - Kevin Pietersen
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm listening to Cider With Rosie, written and read by Laurie Lee.

I'm reading Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth. The main character is Charlotte-Rose de Caumont de la Force. She is a historical figure, a French novelist and poet. She's famous for writing the fairy tale Persinette which was adapted by the brothers Grimm as Rapunzel.

At the start of this novel, in 1697, King Louis XIV has banned Charlotte from Court after she wrote some satirical Christmas verses and she is suspected of having an affair with the Dauphin. She's to be paid a small pension on the condition that she enters a nunnery. Charlotte is not exactly cut out for convent life.
    Forum Member
    The film is good fun.:)

Watched the film last night, enjoyed it. How good was James McAvoy's accent?

Now reading SJ Watson - Before I go to sleep
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I've just finished Stolen Child by Laura Elliot, it was a gripping read, and I'm going to see what else she's written. It's one of those books that stays with you long after you've finished reading.
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the film last night, enjoyed it. How good was James McAvoy's accent?

Now reading SJ Watson - Before I go to sleep

Just finished Before I go to Sleep, very good book....did not see the twist at all :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyond The Horizon - Richard Parks

Used to watch this dude on the TV with me granddad before he did his shoulder in and could no longer play. This story of his recovery and what he has done since is an inspiration. I love real stories like this about real - it inspires me. A great read so far
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    wildhollie wrote: »
    Just finished Before I go to Sleep, very good book....did not see the twist at all :o:D
    I didn't either, what a great book.
    Forum Member
    wildhollie wrote: »
    I didn't either, what a great book.

I'm three quarters Of the way through- don't spoil it for me! :D
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Working my way through the Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer.

Never wanted to enjoy his books but they're actually a good read! :blush:
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just on the 3rd Elizabeth George book in the Lynley series - Well-Schooled in murder. I'm loving the series! I find them so well written, and such a welcome change from more recent crime novels. There's so much to read now, it's really refreshing to read something where the author writes eloquently, such a pleasure to read!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started a new audiobook, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, narrated by Jack Hawkins.

A pre and post apocalyptic novel which starts when actor Arthur Leader suffers a massive heart attack on stage whilst playing King Lear. On the same day Georgia Flu arrives in America and within three weeks most of the population are dead.

Twenty years later a group of musicians and actors are touring small settlements in an area near Lake Michigan performing Shakespeare plays and putting on musical entertainments.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keane: The Second Half - Roy Keane / Roddy Doyle
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished reading the six volumes of The Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunett. One after the other. Couldn't put them down. Even though at times reading them was like being pierced through the heart by swords while simultaneously being dipped in acid.

I just can't stop thinking about them. I'm really suffering from book bereavement at the moment.

No idea what to try next.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Family and Other Animals - Gerald Durrell - I first read this about 35 years ago, love the vivid descriptions of Corfu and the eccentric family.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Something with 'Dead' in the title by Peter James.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Ellis
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gone by Mo Hayder. A few chapters in, I like its fast pace. 👍
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Silent Witness, third in the Dylan Scott series. Really enjoying these, picked up very cheaply for my kindle (about 60p each) and very decent reads so far.