more keyboard and mouse issues

annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
Forum Member
my keyboards, one new, the other laptop keep inserting random spaces and pages keep flicking down. i`ve updated, checked settings, run malwarebytes and spybot to no avail, pointless to do restore as the only restore point available is yesterday.

can`t watch anything on you tube or netflix because they take it upon themselves to pause every few seconds and you tube flicks the page to the bottom all the time.

it was happening a couple of days ago but mal. removed some shit and it was fine for a day or so.

i`m stumped.

edit: spacebar possibly? is it possible to disable the laptop keyboard?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check the space bar on the laptop keyboard. It might be sticking down - which will also apply even when the external keyboard is plugged in.

If you turn the laptop upside down (with lid open) give it a gentle shake to see if there is any detritus lodged under the keys. Often you can feel if a key is gunged up as it won't move up and down smoothly as it normally does.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you run everything (as in all your virus/spyware stuff) in safe mode as well?
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can`t watch anything on you tube or netflix because they take it upon themselves to pause every few seconds and you tube flicks the page to the bottom all the time.

is it possible to disable the laptop keyboard?

Can you unplug the mouse (after starting the app)? Then see if spurious mouse input is causing the problem (although if software, the events could be coming from anywhere).

Disabling the built-in keyboard is tricky (you need to open the case to unplug the flexible strip connector). (On my XP netbook, you can only uninstall the keyboard driver, which doesn't sound a good idea).

But maybe, with youtube running, try clicking elsewhere or on another app so that the youtube window is not the active one (and the keystrokes go elsewhere), and see if it still has the same problem. Also, what happens if you run a text editor; do you get spurious keystrokes there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    In terms of disabling your lappy keyboard, you should either to be able to disable in device manager or change the IR setting (interrupt request) to something really high so it's ignored. Have a read up first if it's not something you've done before.

Out of interest, do you know what it was malwarebytes removed (should be in log)? and as previous poster mentioned was a scan done in safe mode?
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    How come you never have any restore points except the previous day? You said the same thing in your previous thread. Is your hard disk full? Whichever version of Windows operating system you have you can allocate space on the hard drive for Windows Restore. Have you checked via Control Panel/System?

As regards your keyboard issues, it's logical to assume that there must be an underlying problem. Can you take the laptop to a local PC guy or are there any small ads in the local paper for a techie to come and have a look or at least 'phone him. You can say you are short of money up front and see what he suggests.

It might be worth your time to check online for any user forums about your particular laptop. There may be known issues that the manufacturer is addressing or even a solution.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`s ok this morning so far, it seems to be intermittent and i don`t think it`s the actual keyboard.

i got rid of wamjam, pup , delta and browser helper the other day, which seemed to stop it until yesterday. i`m doing a panda scan just now.

hard drive is chokka.

i`ve tried without the mouse and without the usb keyboard, no difference. aaaand it just slipped a space in then while i wasn`t looking , it`s been ok for an hour: mad: it was fine until i started typing this.

if i`m on another tab you tube is fine, if i leave the cursor in the address bar it i can see it doing its thing , which looks like a morse code.

i don` t think it`s the keyboards.

edit: panda`s removed some more of the same stuff, i think it might be coming from here or farcebook.

edit: restarted and it`s still at it. ARGH.
  • TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I am no expert with Windows PC's I would open Notepad and press every key on the keyboard to see if they show up as they should. A [space] B [space] etc.

If they do I would back up all the important files/documents and reformat the hard drive then perform a clean reinstall of Windows.

Drastic measures perhaps, but it may just work.

Others will probably be able to better advise you.
  • anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    You could try Process Monitor to see whether it is software related - I managed to track down an intermittant focus stealing problem using it, although it's fairly complex to use (hint: don't monitor processes in real-time, take snapshots at 1-2 seconds to give yourself a chance to spot the program responsible).
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve been using it for about an hour with no problems hopefully it`s sorted itself out. thanks for your advice.:)
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    First of all you need to de-chokka your hard drive so that a) there is room for Restore to create points and b) future points require less space. Buy yourself one or two cheap USB flash drives and keep your pics etc on them instead of on your hard drive, or a portable 250GB drive which can be bought for £30. I'd be lost without System Restore and it is an essential tool which you are denying yourself.

I don't know what wamjam, pup etc. are and I can't be bothered to Google them but you should be paying attention to what you are downloading and whether you really need them. If you need them for a limited amount of time then uninstall them after use and go through all the programs that you do have on your hard disk and get shut of any you don't use any more.

Don't for gawd's sake uninstall any programs that are essential to the laptop's correct functioning. I don't want to get into arguments about the merits or otherwise of various AV solutions but my advice would be to use Microsoft Security Essentials (free download from Microsoft) instead of Panda, in conjunction with Malwarebytes Free (for adware) and keep them both up to date.

Additionally I would also download CCleaner free and let that remove all the junk at the end of every browsing session.

I have all 3 (MSE, Malwarebytes free and CCleaner) on my W7 laptop and they work perfectly together, don't take up much space and are minimal when it comes to taking up system resources.

Back at the keyboard problems, all we are doing is going round in circles. A professional approach is what is needed and for that to happen someone actually has to work on the laptop physically. You'll have to get a techie for this and either cut down on the weed to pay for it or sweet talk your way out of the cost.