Options

What's up with Len ??

yorkshirelass2yorkshirelass2 Posts: 2,804
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is Len so grumpy, and snarling at the audience already ?? He did it last night and then tonight he was snappy and irritable again. Lighten up Len, please.

Comments

• Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's pantomime ;)
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Len and think he's the best judge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Why is Len so grumpy, and snarling at the audience already ?? He did it last night and then tonight he was snappy and irritable again. Lighten up Len, please.

Are he and Bruno doing their commute to USA for Dancing With the Stars? He always get very cross and tired when he is doing that but it's not on being so grumpy and rude. Get a grip Len.
  • Options
    mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was the same last year. I remember him being unnecessarily unpleasant to people on more than one occasion, with remarks that weren't even constructive - just cruel, or rude. If it's panto, then he's doing it badly, because it comes across as just being genuinely nasty and a tad arrogant (in that he comes across as if he thinks the audience have no right to disagree with him and he might shout at them for daring to do so.)
  • Options
    yorkshirelass2yorkshirelass2 Posts: 2,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mirandaweb wrote: »
    He was the same last year. I remember him being unnecessarily unpleasant to people on more than one occasion, with remarks that weren't even constructive - just cruel, or rude. If it's panto, then he's doing it badly, because it comes across as just being genuinely nasty and a tad arrogant (in that he comes across as if he thinks the audience have no right to disagree with him and he might shout at them for daring to do so.)

I agree, even though I think Len is an excellent judge. It's just that sometimes he seems in a pretty foul mood and it's started with the very first show this year. As far as I know, Craig has never been snappy or rude to the audience, even though they often disagree with him and boo him regularly. He just carries on as normal. I think he's an excellent judge too, as it happens. I'm awaiting Bruno falling off his chair again, as he's already leaping about and gesticulating.
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Len's the only judge from a proper competitive ballroom dacing background, so maybe he's feeling more and more alienated as the show moves further and further away from that background. Wouldn't you end up feeling a bit grumpy sometimes if that happened to you?
  • Options
    icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    I found him a bit grumpy and he hasn't even started jetting back and forth over the pond yet has he?
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He plays the grumpy judge on DWTS and is very funny with it. Pleased he his bringing that persona to SCD.

"A dance made for radio" :D
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be grumpy if the second I made anything approaching a negative comment, I was booed. It's ridiculous, but the production team put the audience up to it. >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Len's the only judge from a proper competitive ballroom dacing background, so maybe he's feeling more and more alienated as the show moves further and further away from that background. Wouldn't you end up feeling a bit grumpy sometimes if that happened to you?

If I was on the hourly rate he's on, I'd feel churlish being anything other than bloody ecstatic all of the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I'd be grumpy if the second I made anything approaching a negative comment, I was booed. It's ridiculous, but the production team put the audience up to it. >:(

He's as much a part of the pantomime as everyone else on the show, as his frankly appalling acting skills betray.

Are people genuinely sucked into believing that the judges behave authentically? That Craig is truly the Pol Pot of the dance world? That a dancer of Darcey's calibre is incapable of judging a male dancer because his biceps have made her teeny little brain turn to girlie mush? That Len is a solid-gold 'dahnce purist' befuddled by the modern trends for rule-breaking and waftiness?

Its all fake. Apart from Bruno falling off his chair. That happens for proper real every series. Honest.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether it is an act or not, it seems to make for an uncomfortable atmosphere. Not what people want to be around on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    simfransimfran Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I don't like the faces that Len pulls when Craig is giving his comments. It's not pantomine - just rude!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He wasn't snarling at all - in fact considering that he was in the middle of making a professional judging point, the audience should have cut out the booing just because he was giving some criticism.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    He wasn't snarling at all - in fact considering that he was in the middle of making a professional judging point, the audience should have cut out the booing just because he was giving some criticism.

I agree with this. He is paid to be a judge and to give an opinion. Like it or not, the audience should be respectful of that fact, no matter who is speaking. I've not been in the audience at the live shows and have always wondered if the Production team get the audience to boo?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that the booing is actively encouraged.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He just plays the pantomime baddie, I am sure he often says things that he knows will get a reaction from the audience (and would not be surprised if the studio managers then encourage the audience to boo).
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a miserable old Wazzock!! He really irritates me by grumbling at the audience when they take issue with his remarks and then making gurning faces and gestures whenever the other judges, especially Craig, say anything he disagrees with . Hope he's replaced next year :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said, I am not sure that I was watching the same show as some people and it's only week 1!! :o
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When audience boos Craig that's okay with him, if they boo his pearls of wisdom he gets grumpy. But it's an act anyway. But what bugs him really, I think, that one can't even begin to say something critical without being booed.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why cant the judges be themselves instead of taking on a role and playing panto ? Bugs the gell out of me to see its scripted and false
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »

It annoys me soooo much. If I was judging I'd make Len's reaction look sweetness and light. First few booers who got downed with a sniper rifle would soon put a stop to it ;-)

I suspect that the booing is actively encouraged.

I'd take the active encouragers out too :D

I completely understand if on occasion the audience feel the judge says something which is uncalled for and express disapproval (or rather support for the dancers) but no, it's every negative comment Craig and Len make. Every. Single. Time.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    He's a miserable old Wazzock!! He really irritates me by grumbling at the audience when they take issue with his remarks and then making gurning faces and gestures whenever the other judges, especially Craig, say anything he disagrees with . Hope he's replaced next year :p

I absolutely HATE this, its so bloody rude! Never has Craig shouted down, pulled faces, shouted at Len, yet Len thinks its acceptable, he's a bully and hope he's pensioned off so someone who really knows what they're talking about (look at Karen/Ian on ITT) can take over
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Len is the only judge who knows what he's talking about, being a championship dancer himself, and he probably gets fed up of all the faffing and not proper ballroom dancing.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    When audience boos Craig that's okay with him, if they boo his pearls of wisdom he gets grumpy. But it's an act anyway. But what bugs him really, I think, that one can't even begin to say something critical without being booed.

I suppose one problem with Len is that most of the time he makes (obviously carefully pre-prepared scripted) one-liners that don't give anything constructive but occasionally he will make some serious comments and might get booed. Perhaps if he stuck to only making serious comments then the audience might take him more seriously.

I still think the studio manager encourages the audience to react to him.