Options

Ghostbusters

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
Another reboot of a successful film? Proof that Hollywood is totally bereft of any new ideas.

And an all female cast? I am sorry but the original Ghostbusters was all about the cast.

I can see this flopping spectacularly.

Comments

• Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hope they show the boobs at the end
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong forum, but yes - the makers don't seem to get that it was the chemistry of the originals more than the premise that appealed.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whilst you wait for the film here's Ghostbusters at the Public Library.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKB7zfopiUA
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I can't believe women would know how to work those proton packs. Fail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this isn't just another reboot. This time they're using all women! How totally freakin cool is that? It's like soooo progressive and sensitive to gender issues.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    But this isn't just another reboot. This time they're using all women! How totally freakin cool is that? It's like soooo progressive and sensitive to gender issues.
    And ball achingly pro feminist.

So we can't have three men now in a lead role next Three Woman and a baby, Diane Turpin and Roberta Hood and her merry girls.^_^
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    hope they show the boobs at the end

Stop that now or you'll be creating your own ectoplasm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    And ball achingly pro feminist.

So we can't have three men now in a lead role next Three Woman and a baby, Diane Turpin and Roberta Hood and her merry girls.^_^

I was afraid of comments like that.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was afraid of comments like that.

You was afraid of the truth why can't there be three men WHY does it HAVE to have three women in the lead role.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    I'll say it in this thread as well. If Melissa McCarthy is in this, i'm out. I don't need to see her loud, boorish, fish out of water shtick again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    You was afraid of the truth why can't there be three men WHY does it HAVE to have three women in the lead role.

Because those making the film have made a choice to do it that way? They are entitled to cast it in whatever way they want.

The problem with this reboot is NOT that it will be an all female cast, it is that the film is just another reboot proving that Hollywood has run out of fresh ideas.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Red John wrote: »

The "Winston Zeddemore" role will have to come about to cover one of the Ghostbusters who goes off on maternity leave. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes me roll my eyes is when film makers put a crappy obvious 'twist' on a formula because they have no decent ideas of their own. It's usually films where they reverse stereotypes. Oh look, a white Irish guy 'in da hood', hahaha! Oh we remade Ghostbusters, but get this: we used women this time!

I also just read they're remaking the Dad's Army film. Because the public were totally crying out for it.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are forgetting that Winston was the most obvious token black guy in the history of film
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are forgetting that Winston was the most obvious token black guy in the history of film

Yeah, but it was the 80s, before racism was wrong.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he didn't die.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member

You must not have seen many films then.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with an actress becoming a Ghostbuster & tbh Venkman did scream like a woman when he first got introduced to Slimer. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2nYqyfDMnQ
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    You must not have seen many films then.

Well, in my lifetime then. There might have been more obvious ones in the 60's or 70's but I wasn't around then
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of original films out there alongside the reboots/remakes/sequels. Nothing to do with Hollywood being bereft of ideas. It's the money that these films make that allows studios to make the original films.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll have to change one line of the song.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Whilst you wait for the film here's Ghostbusters at the Public Library.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKB7zfopiUA

Looks more like a guy and then a women in white niqab's.

As for ghosts, here is a better one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BobA5ujHkvU
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently they're casting 'hilarious women'. Basically, two will be men in drag.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I must be in a minority here, as I think that done right this might work very well.

Nobody should be surprised by the gender aspect. Female-driven action/fantasy is proving a huge box-office draw at the moment (Gravity/Hunger Games/Maleficent/Lucy - the last two performing way over expectations), so there's quite a precedent to follow.

And to me that'll be the yardstick rather than its heritage. I never thought the original was any sort of classic. A rather plodding and only sporadically amusing piece, though seemingly held in high esteem by 80s childhood nostalgists, whom I generally give a wide berth to. Doubtless a Murray cameo would have them eagerly handing over their wallets, regardless of all their present slaggings.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be in a minority here, as I think that done right this might work very well.

Nobody should be surprised by the gender aspect. Female-driven action/fantasy is proving a huge box-office draw at the moment (Gravity/Hunger Games/Maleficent/Lucy - the last two performing way over expectations), so there's quite a precedent to follow.

And to me that'll be the yardstick rather than its heritage. I never thought the original was any sort of classic. A rather plodding and only sporadically amusing piece, though seemingly held in high esteem by 80s childhood nostalgists, whom I generally give a wide berth to. Doubtless a Murray cameo would have them eagerly handing over their wallets, regardless of all their present slaggings.

I think it could certainly work if they pick the right people. There are plenty of actresses out there who can act and who are good in comedy films as well. I just hope they're willing to take a chance on some slightly lesser known names rather than the usual suspects like Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy and Cameron Diaz.

I did read that Bill Murray has apparently given the idea his full blessing, so a cameo probably wouldn't be out of the question either - one of the long running themes of the proposed 3rd part was that Murray would only commit if his character either died in the opening scenes or just didn't have a lot to do at all, so a cameo would certainly solve that problem.