"Worst mobile networks for London rail commuters revealed"

Ashley_BradburyAshley_Bradbury Posts: 204
Forum Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/11159142/Worst-mobile-networks-for-London-rail-commuters-revealed.html

I found it quite surprising that O2 used the half rate codec for such a high percentage of calls, surely they must have a similar density of masts ?

Comments

• Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    let's face it: The whole system is crap from everyone most of the time.

And 4G is just the latest load of crap that sometimes, maybe, if the wind is blowing in the right direction, will give what it is supposed to promise. (But not for long)

High prices and give crap in return. Typical Britain!
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    The issue is that trains block most of the frequencies used for mobile telecommunications.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    The issue is that trains block most of the frequencies used for mobile telecommunications.

Whilst that's true, is isn't just about coverage. When there was coverage it was 2G 60% of the time on O2, with half-rate audio codecs, now the audio codec is nothing to do with coverage.

It is one thing to be the only network not to offer HD voice, it is quite another to not even offer SD voice!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE is the worst network full stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE is the worst network full stop.

Posts like this aren't very helpful unless you're going to post a bit more. Why are they the worst, they have the greatest 4G, MBNL for 3G, they run a 2G network and they tend to come out top on most of the Root Metrics reports. At least say why otherwise it doesn't add anything to the conversation.

I'd argue that spending 60% of your commute on 2G and then when you do make calls having to hear them in half quality codec sounds like a pretty good nomination for worst to me.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny that 7 out of 10 of Londons worst stations are all on the Thameslink London to Luton/Bedford line.
    Forum Member
    In my experience, MBNL 3G coverage will match O2 and Vodafone in most urban areas, with the advantage being much better speeds.

In rural areas, at least in Hampshire, 3G on MBNL is much better on MBNL than O2/Vodafone as you'd expect but there are still large areas which have no 3G coverage on MBNL and no EE 2G signal but have full 2G on Vodafone/O2.

It's all very well having a much larger 3G network but when there's no signal at all, I'd rather take 2G, which is what Vodafone/O2 seem to provide.

Vodafone/O2 just seem to have more robust networks, in terms of where there's coverage, it's usually very good. Whereas, in my experience of MBNL, there's often coverage, it's just not very high quality.

Hence I choose O2, for now.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In rural areas, at least in Hampshire, 3G on MBNL is much better on MBNL than O2/Vodafone as you'd expect but there are still large areas which have no 3G coverage on MBNL and no EE 2G signal but have full 2G on Vodafone/O2.

That's quite surprising but granted every area is different.

I quite often visit Mid Wales and even now there seem to be large areas which only have EE (Orange 2G) but nothing from the other networks. Maybe in other areas where Orange masts have been turned off things have got worse.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is coverage so bad on trains and the underground in the uk, over the last 10 years visiting Berlin, Munich, Stockholm, San Francisco and others, traveling around on there trains and undergrounds phone use has never been an issue, locals just walk down into the station, onto the train or down deep into underground and sit on trains talking away or facebooking, what's apping or FaceTime with no bother at all,
    Here my phone signal vanishes soon as you set foot on a train, let alone underground!!
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vodafone was absolutely useless on large chucks of the East Coast Main Line. EE do okay.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rail coverage would increase if network rail started allowing Phone Masts more along the tracks. Like many have said I honestly these days don't think there is One network which fits all there in most Urban Areas you might be better of on a MBNL but then again quite a few rural areas are better on O2/Vodafone. Some rural areas I know only MBNL provides any coverage what so ever most of rural staffordshire is absolutely terrible on O2/Vodafone and nearly everyone is a former orange customer.

A point against O2 and not being harsh to them by now but they should of fixed there voice quality problems by now. Honestly should really have rolled out HDVoice by now and be looking at VoLTE they certainly behind the other networks in the UK in that regard. I can always tell when I am being called by someone on O2.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Why is coverage so bad on trains and the underground in the uk, over the last 10 years visiting Berlin, Munich, Stockholm, San Francisco and others, traveling around on there trains and undergrounds phone use has never been an issue, locals just walk down into the station, onto the train or down deep into underground and sit on trains talking away or facebooking, what's apping or FaceTime with no bother at all,
    Here my phone signal vanishes soon as you set foot on a train, let alone underground!!

Because the train companies / station owners, and the underground railway operators have in many cases worked with the mobile companies. In the UK our train companies haven't seen the need (!).
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure in certain countries they have "masts" in the actual trains themselves? Or at the very least, masts in the tracks/beside the tracks?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure in certain countries they have "masts" in the actual trains themselves? Or at the very least, masts in the tracks/beside the tracks?

Yes, I think I've read that. But these days it is more likely to be WiFi in the train and microwave uplink masts beside the tracks.

Most european countries have more space by the tracks than we do in the UK, and higher bridges so they can run double decker trains.
    Forum Member
    Coverage in the underground I would say is easier than above ground, although I may be wrong.

Try using your phone on the Alton to Waterloo line by the way. That's a fun challenge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »

A point against O2 and not being harsh to them by now but they should of fixed there voice quality problems by now. Honestly should really have rolled out HDVoice by now and be looking at VoLTE they certainly behind the other networks in the UK in that regard. I can always tell when I am being called by someone on O2.

This really annoys me as my company use O2 and some people just simply cannot be heard though the conferencing system phones in the meeting rooms if they are on their O2 phones. Several times we've had to tell them to hang up and call them on their landline and the difference is so massive.

I can only imagine this is the O2 half-bitrate problem. I wish I had 2 recordings, half and normal so that I could post them here as you would see exactly what I mean.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Because the train companies / station owners, and the underground railway operators have in many cases worked with the mobile companies. In the UK our train companies haven't seen the need (!).

It's entirely down to Network Rail and I believe it is working with the networks to roll out 4G trackside.

Until then, 800MHz LTE with VoLTE should make a huge difference to railway coverage.