The Samantha Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
Forum Member
I tried to find the thread titled "Samantha" and I couldn't...plus I don't think we've had an official Sam appreciation thread on here yet.

Let me begin by saying two things:

Firstly as many people know I am one of the biggest Sarah fans on here. And always will be.

Second, I initally wasn't a fan of Sam's at all. Maybe because in the first week it came across like she was trying to upstage Sarah's genuine talent with hotpants and a flashy belt (voice not clothing item).....

ANYWAY getting back to the point of this being an APPRECIATION thread. I feel like perhaps because Sam gets SO much (kind of nauseating) appreciation from ALW, many people seem to be seeking to discredit her, rather than seeking to find what they like about her.

And not just because Sarah is backing her, but I have genuinely begun to kind of love Sam a little bit. She seems like one of the most genuine and nice girls in the competition. For 17 she IS incredibly talented. I think the reason it's taken me so long to love her is that some of her performances have been misses. But when she hits, oh boy she HITS. Those have been some of the best performances of the whole competition. Hurt was the only acting that really viscerally moved me in the whole thing. Every time I rewatch it the bit where she says "I would tell you how much I have missed you since you've been away" sends shivers down my spine, brings tears to my eyes, and literally takes my breath away like I've been punched. It's so raw and not pretty. Gorgeously so. She has a lot of passion and power. When she is ON, she can really convey a feeling in a bodily way that I feel as an audience member. She owns her lyrics and serves them up. That is natural talent and it's so thrilling to watch. It's quite raw and unpredictable at this point but she is growing and becoming more professional every week.

Also she always stands out in the group numbers, she is a great dancer and has a watchable kind of effervescence. And I love watching her with the Olivers. Amazingly considering she is the youngest in the competition, she is one of the most warm and motherly. Other definite fantastic HIT weeks for me have been Since U Been Gone, Rock n Roll and Sway. I think she is one of only a few who have really grown through this competition, and you can literally see how hard she works (without it being obnoxious like some). Whilst I don't know whether she is the best suited to the role, I would love to see her win the most I think. It would certainly be the "different" Nancy they were looking for. Her look, her modern pop/rock-y vocal type - everything.

I was going to stop watching after Sarah left, but I may well tune in to see how Sam's doing...and if she continues to turn in great, mesmorizing, visceral performances, she may get me really invested in it again.:)

Comments

• Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Don't know where my Samantha threads gone probably disappeared into the many pages! But I love Sam so I'm liking this thread!

I agree completely she first stood out for me in the group numbers, she's natural with the boys and her movement never looks contrived. I do think people have problems with her voice as it may not be pitch perfect but there's something to it that's so personal as if Nancy, not some vocally perfect vocals coming through as it just doesn't feel like Nancy. She does come across very well and from all the people that have spoken to her said she is sweet, maybe it's all the chocolate she eats :D.

Anyway I'll be supporting her as long as she's there
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=772724

It didn't take long to find - was page 3 a bit too far to look?

Absolute physical perfection by the way, and not a bad voice
  • Slow AlexSlow Alex Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of (surprisingly str8) guys at my office fancy Sam and want her to win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,007
    Forum Member
    LYlashes, I'm totally in agreement with you! I really enjoy watching Sam perform - even when her vocals aren't as perfect as they could be the standard of a perfromance she gives is outstanding. And another thing I like about her is that she doesn't seem too big for her boots- I'd say most people of 17 if they looked like that, and had that much talent would have pretty big egos, but she seems to be very humble.

I don't know if she has the experience or vocal stability to play Nancy for 8 shows a week, but it would definately be interesting too see how she portrayed the character. Plus, she's only 17. I reckon she's going to have an amazing career ahead of her regardless of what happens in IDA.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the main show started I was very much sucked in to the Jodie & Jessie show.

I watched all the auditions several times and then added Sam & Sarah to my list of favs.

Sam really rocked on the first week and jumped to the top of my fav 4 and has stayed there since.:)
  • peaceablegenie2peaceablegenie2 Posts: 13,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    supported Sam since week1...here's hoping she makes the final :)
    Forum Member
    Slow Alex wrote: »
    A couple of (surprisingly str8) guys at my office fancy Sam and want her to win.

Same here. I feel like the only guy that actually listens to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what song do you guys want her to sing tonight?
    im not too sure, but im thinking she might have been given a ballad....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam is great. She's second only to Jodie on my list of who I want to win :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long now................
    Forum Member
    Haven't got a clue but probably a slow one for tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam was my favourite in week 1 but then the Lark took over but she is my favourite out of remaining girls, hope she does well tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LYlashes wrote: »
    Also she always stands out in the group numbers, she is a great dancer and has a watchable kind of effervescence. And I love watching her with the Olivers. Amazingly considering she is the youngest in the competition, she is one of the most warm and motherly.

I think she is one of only a few who have really grown through this competition, and you can literally see how hard she works (without it being obnoxious like some). Whilst I don't know whether she is the best suited to the role, I would love to see her win the most I think. It would certainly be the "different" Nancy they were looking for. Her look, her modern pop/rock-y vocal type - everything.

Firstly well done on starting a much belated appreciation thread on here for Sam. I was beginning to think I was in the minority for having her as one of my two faves (the other was Fran).

I've backed Sam since the stage at ALW's house, I thought she handled that extra audition in front of the panel really well. I've got a great deal of respect for the way she seems to have handled the whole process. For someone so young and talented etc she comes across as very grounded and very un-assuming. She's clearly determined to make the most of this whole experience and is learning so much 'on the job' so to speak.

I've heard a few radio interviews with her and she comes across as a genuinely lovely girl, who always has nice words to say about her fellow Nancys - especially the ones she was/is closest to.

I totally agree that she stands out in the group numbers and with the Olivers. I can totally 'see' her as Nancy, even though I think she would normally suit something more up-tempo to make the most of her strengths in dancing etc.

I'm sure she'll have a great career whatever happens, but I would love to see her as Nancy (especially as I already have my tickets!) :)

PS. I eat almost as much chocolate ;)
    Forum Member
    I can now think of this as my safe thread there were there's only friendly faces/comments :D.

She does come across very well from what iv'e heard from radio interviews, people who've met her and of course what we've seen on the show. I hope she does herself proud
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    LaLaLaur wrote: »
    LYlashes, I'm totally in agreement with you! I really enjoy watching Sam perform - even when her vocals aren't as perfect as they could be the standard of a perfromance she gives is outstanding. And another thing I like about her is that she doesn't seem too big for her boots- I'd say most people of 17 if they looked like that, and had that much talent would have pretty big egos, but she seems to be very humble.

I don't know if she has the experience or vocal stability to play Nancy for 8 shows a week, but it would definately be interesting too see how she portrayed the character. Plus, she's only 17. I reckon she's going to have an amazing career ahead of her regardless of what happens in IDA.

Yes, I agree! Especially the part about not being too big for her boots. What a nice way to put it. I don't understand really why there hasn't been a thriving appreciation thread for her already, she's so lovely and clearly talented! I feel like ALW is probably just as taken with her as her fans, but it's not really helping her to keep calling her "Sammy" and stuff. Even though it's kinda cute, lol.

smudges dad, i looked up to about page 10 actually. i must have missed it. nevertheless as someone said, this appreciation thread is WAY overdue!

peaceablegenie2, I have a feeling she might get a beautiful ballad too. I hope she shines with it! She seems to do best when she brings her unique style and voice to the material rather than trying to be something she's not, which I think is where she faltered in certain weeks that were not so memorable, like week 2.

Hot_Topics, I totally agree with your post too! I LOVE that she has a stash of chocolate because I do too :p And I would love to see the Nancys in a big dance number, I bet she would stand out miles from the rest in that. And like you and Dreamer27 said, she comes across lovely on radio interviews. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreamer27 wrote: »
    I can now think of this as my safe thread there were there's only friendly faces/comments :D.

i know :) i was always a little reluctant to go in the Samantha thread, as there were some unnessary nasty coments in there
    Forum Member
    i know :) i was always a little reluctant to go in the Samantha thread, as there were some unnessary nasty coments in there

Same here, finally some real appreciation.

So a question to her fans how far in the competition will she get do you reckon?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hope i dont curse her when i say this im thinking semi finals at least
    Forum Member
    Good luck Sam!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam could push up to favourite after tonight if she can pull it off and gets some praise from ALW:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gosh im worried for Sam now after what we have just heard :eek:
    Forum Member
    Can't watch!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bound to be compared to Jessie tonight, in a positive way hopefully :)
    Forum Member
    I heard almost every word, very good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    best so far :D
This discussion has been closed.