Coincidences and oddities

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
Like many people, I've noticed a lot of things that seem either to be strange coincidences or just not to add up through Series 5 so far. Although some of them are bound to be red herrings or oversights etc, I'm sure some of them must add up to something significant. Here's a few things that puzzle me:

1. Amelia says that she has an aunt but 'no mum and dad'. Shortly later she says that her 'mum' - not her aunt - puts smiles on apples so she'll eat them.

2. Why do the faces on the apple, the crack, the puppets in the booths in TBB, etc all have the same expression - a sort of smile?

3. Why does Amy handcuff the Doctor to a radiator and *seem* not to know who he is? Why does she say 'Amelia Pond has not lived here for 6 months' and then pretend to radio to someone that her captive knows something about Amelia Pond? It seems an odd charade to go through given he she knows who he is, has been waiting for him, he's tied up, etc.

4. Prisoners: Zero and River Song are both prisoners, but we are not told for what reason and there is a lot of mystery about their identities.

5. We've had both alternative (AD) and future (THE) Amys and Rorys. The first time Rory meets the Doctor in TEH he recognises him as a 'game' (presumably the dressing up he used to do): is this a hint that things are somehow unreal and unfixed: will AD somehow prove to be more significant than it seems? That time can be 'rewritten' has been stressed a few times, like the whole series is a fairytale, as SM has hinted, a story as a story rather than a story as reality.

5. Stuff that has already been commented on a lot: the wonky time in the village in TEH, the upper staircase in Amy's house being out of scale, etc.

Please add further oddities and explanations from across the series and let's see what they add up to.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickglas wrote: »

1. Amelia says that she has an aunt but 'no mum and dad'. Shortly later she says that her 'mum' - not her aunt - puts smiles on apples so she'll eat them.

Thought this one had been covered on here to death! :D

Her mum USED to put smiles on apples to make her like them, past tense, ie before she dissapeared/died/whatever.

And the point about the staircase has been covered too I think and isn't really an issue, you can blame the architect or the builders of the house for that one I think and not the Dr Who team :D
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Please add further oddities and explanations from across the series and let's see what they add up to.
    Or you could read the countless other threads on these topics?
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're reading into things a bit too much. A few things there are straight forward like point 1. Her mum puts smiley faces on the apple - maybe she used to before her death/disappearance.

Point 2 - reading into it way too much. The apple was explained in the post - so Amelia would eat them.

Point 3 - she did have psychiatrists, so maybe she didn't recognise him at first.

Point 4 - River Song was explained - she murdered a man. Prisoner Zero you don't need to know

Point 5 - huh??

Point 6 - I give you the wonky time village.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Like many people, I've noticed a lot of things that seem either to be strange coincidences or just not to add up through Series 5 so far. Although some of them are bound to be red herrings or oversights etc, I'm sure some of them must add up to something significant. Here's a few things that puzzle me:

2. Why do the faces on the apple, the crack, the puppets in the booths in TBB, etc all have the same expression - a sort of smile?

3. Why does Amy handcuff the Doctor to a radiator and *seem* not to know who he is? Why does she say 'Amelia Pond has not lived here for 6 months' and then pretend to radio to someone that her captive knows something about Amelia Pond? It seems an odd charade to go through given he she knows who he is, has been waiting for him, he's tied up, etc.

4. Prisoners: Zero and River Song are both prisoners, but we are not told for what reason and there is a lot of mystery about their identities.

5. We've had both alternative (AD) and future (THE) Amys and Rorys. The first time Rory meets the Doctor in TEH he recognises him as a 'game' (presumably the dressing up he used to do): is this a hint that things are somehow unreal and unfixed: will AD somehow prove to be more significant than it seems? That time can be 'rewritten' has been stressed a few times, like the whole series is a fairytale, as SM has hinted, a story as a story rather than a story as reality.

5. Stuff that has already been commented on a lot: the wonky time in the village in TEH, the upper staircase in Amy's house being out of scale, etc.

1 - She no longer has her mum or dad. Before her parents [died?] her mother used to put the smiley faces on the apples... Adds up just fine in my mind.

2. I think this could be just a coincidence with the crack looking like a smile. I'm sure smiles are used a lot, but we're noticing them more because of the crack. It's like learning a new word and it suddenly being everywhere - it already was, it's just you're only just noticing it as you've been made aware of it.

3. Classic response to the impossible - the man she knew years ago, then had therapy to help her forget has suddenly turned up looking exactly the same as he did all those years ago. She said herself it was either the policewoman or French maid outfit. As for locking him up - she had drawn pictures of the guy, and as demonstrated,other people know of him through her (The Raggedy Man), so in the face of the impossible, her mind seeks out the rational - that it's an intruder dressed up like the guy who left her all those years ago. Using the whole Amelia/Amy thing - sometimes a name change is a cathartic release thing (I know this, it's a personal thing - I've done it myself), and you no longer class yourself as the person who was called the original name. Maybe she finally changed it properly six months before. Talking into her fake walkie-talkie was a defensive thing - the guy tied up in front of her may or may not be a dangerous intruder, so she wants him to believe she is the police. Again, quite simple...

4. I think we will find out more about River Song's incarceration later. I think we're done with Prisoner Zero - mysteries can be part of the story without needing to be solved.

5. I assume you're meaning Amy's Choice with the AD? Anyway, Rory was referring to the fact that Amy had him dress up and play with her as her fantasy hero. I sincerely doubt there's anything more to it than that. But the fact that tiem can be rewritten seems to be leading more toward the fact that Rory doesn't necessarily have to be dead and gone, or that all that's happened to create the cracks doesn't need to happen - just because they've seen the cracks, and the damage they've caused doesn't mean the explosion that causes them has to happen. Time can be rewritten to wipe out the event that causes it.

5. (Again? - I think time rewrote your numbering system...) SM has said he hadn't even noticed the wrong date on Rory's badge, and that notwithstanding means that the rest of the stuff in Leadworth is feasible and not at all anachronistic. As for the stairs issue... I've rewatched it and can find no evidence of the stairs being either out of scale, or out of place.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I've got one:

Prisoner Zero knows the Doctor because of Amy. But how does it know that he's a timelord?

Methinks that maybe the Doctor is the one who causes the cracks
    :eek:!
  • Sir_JasperSir_Jasper Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I have the same theory, the cracks are being caused by the Dr. The future Dr who we saw for a couple of minutes in the forest is hastily going around trying to fix it all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    She says Amelia has not lived here for 6 month, which probably means she left her old life behind and started calling herself Amy 6 month earlier.
    Forum Member
    She says Amelia has not lived here for 6 month, which probably means she left her old life behind and started calling herself Amy 6 month earlier.

Watch her face as she's saying these things - she's making them up as she goes along. There's no suggestion of there being any significance to the six months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch her face as she's saying these things - she's making them up as she goes along. There's no suggestion of there being any significance to the six months.

Exactly, she knows who he is, can't believe it, but is being coy cos she wants to find out what his game is, and why he took so blooming long to get back!!
    Forum Member
    Exactly, she knows who he is, can't believe it, but is being coy cos she wants to find out what his game is, and why he took so blooming long to get back!!

Well, I think she's suspicious - she at least knows who he appears to be, but doesn't want to give anything away about who she is until she's sure who he is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is the only one I can answer certainly. From her explanations, she has been through years of therapy. She's had 4 psychiatrists who kept trying to convince her that the Doctor wasn't real and all of a sudden he comes back after 12 years instead of the promised 5 minutes. So cuffing him is IMO a way of trying to resolve the whole thing ans figure out if he is really who he says he is and I think the pretending to radio someone is an attempting at appearing confident in case he's a bad guy or something.
  • abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh right, like we could tell from her acting or something!

[JOKING]
    :)