Options

Mono only through rf coaxial cable

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
Forum Member
Had the 9200 for a few weeks now, so far very pleased with it.

Anyone got any idea why I would be only getting mono sound through the rf cable. I get full stereo through the scart and still get stereo on analogue channels that are fed via the same rf loop through.
This isn't a big problem as I obviously always use the scart connection, only tunned in to the feed through the aerial as a back up, I'm just curious.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think any domestic RF modulators are paired with a NICAM encoder which would create the stereo signal the coaxial could carry, simply too expensive.

As you say the majority of people would use scart or the seperate audio outputs anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    RF modulators in domestic equipment only output mono audio, this is essentially a cost saving exercise.

If you just feed a signal through the modulator you will get stereo, ie, if an aerial feed goes through a VCR or DVD recorder to the TV then you will get stereo reception on the TV (and be able to record in stereo on the VCR or DVD).

The way round this is to buy a seperate RF modulator, the advantages of this are that you can have several inputs on it, S-VHS, SCART, composite, even several of each and the output is not only in stereo, but a much better quality than the internal cheapo one!
  • Options
    andyhurleyandyhurley Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gary58 wrote:
    The way round this is to buy a seperate RF modulator, the advantages of this are that you can have several inputs on it, S-VHS, SCART, composite, even several of each and the output is not only in stereo, but a much better quality than the internal cheapo one!

Can you get an external mudulator with Nicam encoder? The ones I've seen have all been mono only with Nicam encoders being the preserve of very high end broadcasters equipment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    The ones I have seen in my life of electronics/sat etc have certainly been stereo O/P, never had to repair one or even look inside, I will try and get some info. for you if you like?
  • Options
    andyhurleyandyhurley Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gary58 wrote:
    The ones I have seen in my life of electronics/sat etc have certainly been stereo O/P, never had to repair one or even look inside, I will try and get some info. for you if you like?

No, you're ok. I have no use for one anyway. Just curious.