Options

Progressive rock appreciation thread

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    CylinderCylinder Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diagonal - Quite remarkable, pure 70s prog from a young Brighton band...

Yeah, I love that Diagonal album. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    I haven't time to reproduce a Philip Glass guide - his back catalogue is vast and even I haven't heard everything!

However, I can strongly recommend 'The Photographer', 'Glassworks', 'Songs from Liquid Days', 'Itaipu - The Canyon' and 'Dances No. 1-5' amongst others. ;)

cheers, I'll look for Photographer/Glassworks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone remember Devil Doll?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc9Dnvo3xLc&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brgQVmYrSRk#
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JOMwUeHTSM&feature=related

Hehe after overdosing of easy listening music today I had to take some antidote ;)
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genesis!!!! :cool: :cool:
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any recent prog albums worth checking out ?
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »

For me there has been loads this year. I would suggest:
    • TesseracT - Altered State
    • Sound Of Contact - Dimensionaut
    • Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives
    • Dream Theater - Dream Theater
    • Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
    • Anathema - Universal
    • Touchstone - Oceans Of Time
    • Big Big Train - English Electric Part I and Part II
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sound Of Contact - Dimensionaut

Thanks for the recommendations.
    I just got this and it's great. Thought that the lead singer sounded a bit like Phil Collins and then found out it is his son !

Have you heard the latest Marillion album 'Sounds That Can’t Be Made'? I was thinking of getting this or maybe Spock’s Beard – Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There doesn't seem to be an awful lot around now compared to the seventies and I don't think the gap that Frank Zappa left has ever been filled but I still enjoy watching some of the older bands. I watched a recent Led Zepp concert the other night and loved it. Also Phish are well worth listening to I think and They might be Giants though these are not really new bands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    I just got this and it's great. Thought that the lead singer sounded a bit like Phil Collins and then found out it is his son !

Have you heard the latest Marillion album 'Sounds That Can’t Be Made'? I was thinking of getting this or maybe Spock’s Beard – Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep

I knew of the Phil Collins link to Sound of Contact, but I left that out to allow judgement based on the music. :)

Marillion's album is very good too, although I am a big Marillion fan so a little biased! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woofer3 wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be an awful lot around now compared to the seventies and I don't think the gap that Frank Zappa left has ever been filled but I still enjoy watching some of the older bands. I watched a recent Led Zepp concert the other night and loved it. Also Phish are well worth listening to I think and They might be Giants though these are not really new bands.

As a Progressive Music fan I would say there is loads going on now, far more than I can keep up with.

Frank Zappa has gone and it's time to move on. To be honest I have never understood harking back to 40 years ago. Progressive Music is about moving forward to me, not looking back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Progressive Music fan I would say there is loads going on now, far more than I can keep up with.

Frank Zappa has gone and it's time to move on. To be honest I have never understood harking back to 40 years ago. Progressive Music is about moving forward to me, not looking back.
    Just my opinion, - so who would you suggest to take the place of some of the old bands like say ELP, Yes and so on. Just interested..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just my opinion, - so who would you suggest to take the place of some of the old bands like say ELP, Yes and so on. Just interested..

I don't think anything will take the place of those bands because they were of their time.

Today's bands have taken influence from the past, as most bands do, but to just replace them to me achieves nothing.

Plus today music is a lot more diverse, so whereas bands like ELP and Yes were defined purely as Prog Rock bands, very few bands today could be defined purely by one genre.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me there has been loads this year. I would suggest:
    • TesseracT - Altered State
    • Sound Of Contact - Dimensionaut
    • Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives
    • Dream Theater - Dream Theater
    • Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
    • Anathema - Universal
    • Touchstone - Oceans Of Time
    • Big Big Train - English Electric Part I and Part II

Saw Steven Wilson touring on that album. He was brilliant.

I agree it's a very good album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anything will take the place of those bands because they were of their time.

Today's bands have taken influence from the past, as most bands do, but to just replace them to me achieves nothing.

Plus today music is a lot more diverse, so whereas bands like ELP and Yes were defined purely as Prog Rock bands, very few bands today could be defined purely by one genre.

Not sure I agree with your statement about today's music being more diverse, I can't imagine anything more diverse than the music of Frank Zappa and this is the reason I 'hark' back 40 years. In my humble opinion, I think if anything music seems to have gone backwards. though I would be prepared to listen to any suggestions that you think may change my point of view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw Steven Wilson touring on that album. He was brilliant.

I agree it's a very good album.

I saw him in Bristol and he was brilliant there. I'm a big fan of his stuff, whether it's his solo work, Porcupine Tree, No Man, Blackfield. He just doesn't seem to stop!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure I agree with your statement about today's music being more diverse, I can't imagine anything more diverse than the music of Frank Zappa and this is the reason I 'hark' back 40 years. In my humble opinion, I think if anything music seems to have gone backwards. though I would be prepared to listen to any suggestions that you think may change my point of view.

Have you come across The Mars Volta? Something like De-Loused in the Comatorium or Frances The Mute.

Oceansize have also done some interesting work, Effloresce, or Everyone into Position are good places to start.

Enochian Theory's Evolution: Creatio Ex Nihilio is also worth checking out as well.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for all Prog Rock fans out there Transatlantic's New Albums Kaleidoscope is released on Jan 27th. I have a listen of a couple of songs and it sounds good.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    "Rainbow Theme / Frozen Rainbow" by Saxon.

I was listening to a live version this track the other day. It's from their 1979 debut album. Although you'd say they were "heavy metal", I think this track displays quite a Prog influence.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lifesigns and their self titled Ep is pretty good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard a track by Spocks Beard on the Planet Rock prog show on Sunday. Didn't sound very proggy to me but was a good track nonetheless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard a track by Spocks Beard on the Planet Rock prog show on Sunday. Didn't sound very proggy to me but was a good track nonetheless.

I think the definition of what is "Prog" is a very loose one now.

A lot of the Symphonic Metal bands, like Nightwish, Within Temptation, Delain, etc, are often referred to as Prog bands.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm terrible with genres. But would 'The Dear Hunter' be classed as prog?

Their first 3 albums are 'acts' which tell the story of 'The Dear Hunter'. Each album or act is like a chapter of the life of the character - there are supposed to be 6 albums/acts in total.

After those 3 albums they released 9 EPS of 4 songs each representing the colours of the spectrum - each EP was a colour and the songs in the EP reflected a style/mood of music dependent on the colour........Black was industrial, Yellow Pop, Green Folk, Indigo electronic. A brilliant and diverse collection of songs from a really under the radar band. Anyway I'm not sure if they are prog - but a sense you guys in here would appriate this more than most.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm terrible with music genres. But would 'The Dear Hunter' be classed as prog?

Their first 3 albums are 'acts' which tell the story of 'The Dear Hunter'. Each album or act is like a chapter of the life of the character - there are supposed to be 6 albums/acts in total.

After those 3 albums they released 9 EPS of 4 songs each representing the colours of the spectrum - each EP was a colour and the songs in the EP reflected a style/mood of music dependent on the colour........Black was industrial, Yellow Pop, Green Folk, Indigo electronic. A brilliant and diverse collection of songs from a really under the radar band. Anyway I'm not sure if they are prog - but a sense you guys in here would appriate this more than most.