BBM for Android and IOS Free? I feel robbed.

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natbike wrote: »
    Doesn't anyone else use Google hangouts? It seems to have the least impact on battery life (with android devices), is cross platform, and has a desktop app.

My family use it and I can't see anything extra that BBM offers these days. I think they missed the opportunity and it's a little late now. Good luck to them, but they're only really relevant for roaming and I wonder how long that will last as they fade away.

I wonder why Apple never used their brand power to get consumers better deals (like BlackBerry roaming etc)?

I use hangouts a fair bit thing that annoys the heck out of me is that it doesn't show who is online or not surely they could add that in.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which one is it in the play store?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    none right now I think. lots of fakes though. Look out for descriptions that have irrelevant keywords in it like a list of game titles (so it shows up on searches for them), or one or two that have lots of reviews but when you read them it says "I had to do this review to unlock the app" (which doesn't work I don't think, devs can't tell whether you rate their app or not)

other giveaways to look out for - support email address which just uses a generic gmail account, and lots of other fake apps listed under "from the same developer"..
  • vinnyutd6899vinnyutd6899 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    which one is it in the play store?

Don't think its out yet got a feeling they are waiting for google to boot out all the fake apps first.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think its out yet got a feeling they are waiting for google to boot out all the fake apps first.

definitely looks like there's a cleanup underway. Only seeing a couple now, was about a dozen earlier.
  • vinnyutd6899vinnyutd6899 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    definitely looks like there's a cleanup underway. Only seeing a couple now, was about a dozen earlier.

Last fake bb app has just been removed hopefully not long to go now :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I downloaded the leaked version a while ago and it was working fine now I'm getting a connection error, maybe they turned the servers off.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Kierankay wrote: »
    I downloaded the leaked version a while ago and it was working fine now I'm getting a connection error, maybe they turned the servers off.

Someone else said that earlier. I dont think its real. I would remove until official comes out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems another thing Blackberry has messed up I wonder if the iOS version will be released on time. There marketing department is seriously messed up.
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Seems another thing Blackberry has messed up I wonder if the iOS version will be released on time. There marketing department is seriously messed up.

I've seen on facebook lots of people on iOS are changing their region to New Zealand as it's in the New Zealand app store.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've send on facebook lots of people on iOS are changing their region to New Zealand as it's in the New Zealand app store.

That makes sense as it is morning over there. Not to interested in it to be honest I think it weird it got delayed.

From what I hear audio and video is still exclusive to blackberrys.
    Forum Member
    That makes sense as it is morning over there. Not to interested in it to be honest I think it weird it got delayed.

From what I hear audio and video is still exclusive to blackberrys.

I think it's only exclusive just now but they are going to introduce it, I don't understand though how they couldn't just have released it everywhere at once, would have been easier plus the android version isn't even out anywhere yet and that was supposed to come out a day before iOS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's only exclusive just now but they are going to introduce it, I don't understand though how they couldn't just have released it everywhere at once, would have been easier plus the android version isn't even out anywhere yet and that was supposed to come out a day before iOS

I think it just a mess up with Blackberry marketing department they made a complete mess up of BB10 something as simple as this I can see them messing up as well. Oh I hadn't heard they were including audio/video later on but to be competitive with skype I suppose they would have to. Lets be honest Blackberry most valuable parts left are the patents and BBM certainly not there devices.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    According to BlackBerry, the reason for the delay is that 1.1m users of the unofficial leaked beta version were clogging up the servers so they have had to disable them.

Considering that closing down the beta program on product launch is a standard part of any app launch, then I don't see why BlackBerry didn't plan for this.

Another management failure leading to market difficulties?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will do a staggered release now. So who knows when it will appear.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/21/4756906/blackberry-postpones-launch-of-bbm-for-ios-and-android
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBM is awful.. It's what people used when I was at school to organise a romp.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have absolutely no idea why people are scrambling to get this app anyway, the Blackberry platform is dying and the userbase is getting smaller all the time. There are already plenty of alternatives for messaging on IOS / Android.

Having all these different messenger apps running is crazy.
  • cherrytops(82)cherrytops(82) Posts: 3,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it was true, the person on payg would need to top up anyway to use the internet and use bbm..

Surely if they're on contract they would need internet data in order to use the app.. Ok fair enough android and iphone won't need to top up £5 a month they still willl need internet data in order to use the app ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea why people are scrambling to get this app anyway, the Blackberry platform is dying and the userbase is getting smaller all the time. There are already plenty of alternatives for messaging on IOS / Android.

Having all these different messenger apps running is crazy.

Probably because people believe that bbm is more secure and a lot of iOS and android users have used in past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Theres an app in the android store claiming to be BBM, but its not. Im now currently having to erase & restore my nexus 7 because the app wouldnt work unless i gave it 5 stars & +1 it. Then it started downloading alsorts of crapware. God i hate android!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a video I saw of the New Zealand iPhone version it uses iOS 6 as main basis. Clearly a massive overlook on BB fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres an app in the android store claiming to be BBM, but its not. Im now currently having to erase & restore my nexus 7 because the app wouldnt work unless i gave it 5 stars & +1 it. Then it started downloading alsorts of crapware. God i hate android!!!

Yeah this is a major downside to the Android platform.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah this is a major downside to the Android platform.

Yeah I agree that android needs to be monitored more closely when they approve apps into the store.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I agree that android needs to be monitored more closely when they approve apps into the store.

There has to be a better way than what happens now, whether it's more open to a small community to check and block the apps like a wikipedia type setup, or whether Google invest the money to do it themselves directly and do a proper job of it. Either way, it needs doing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has to be a better way than what happens now, whether it's more open to a small community to check and block the apps like a wikipedia type setup, or whether Google invest the money to do it themselves directly and do a proper job of it. Either way, it needs doing.

Yeah Android still has got to learn some stuff like iOS most of it is related to App Store. App approval/monitoring and Tablet applications. While iOS seems to have learnt from Android It clearly shows having two good OS makes for learning for both.