A nurse's off duty behaviour....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can a nurse be struck off if she is being abusive and aggressive to her neighbours while off duty?

My cousin, her husband and her daughter live below a nurse who is verbally abusive to them and she has even physically attacked my cousin. The nurse, along with her partner, were arrested for the incident but both weren't charged. The nurse's partner is employed with Diageo and apparently made the excuse to his bosses that he got jumped instead of telling them he was arrested. This same guy also threatened to beat up my 70 year old uncle.

My cousin and her partner are both nervous wreck's because they don't know what to expect next from these two. The nurse has apparently also started harassing the couple that live upstairs from my uncle that I mentioned previously, Last week one of the couple that live upstairs from my uncle were out cutting their grass, when the nurse apparently shouted "I can't even sit in my own garden and have a bit peace and quiet but some silly bas*ard has decided to cut their fu*king grass today"

Can someone provide me with advice on how to deal with a situation like this?

Comments

• SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Report it to the police or council.

As for whether her behaviour can affect her job, see here: http://www.nmc-uk.org/
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    These are the people to ask for advice funlovingirl, and to report them to.

BUT

Make sure she is an actual nurse and registered as such. A lot of Health Care Assistants call themselves 'nurses' nowadays. http://www.nmc-uk.org/patients-public/Reporting-a-nurse-or-midwife-to-the-NMC/

Hope it all works out for you :)
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Snap :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »

BUT

Make sure she is an actual nurse and registered as such. A lot of Health Care Assistants call themselves 'nurses' nowadays. http://www.nmc-uk.org/patients-public/Reporting-a-nurse-or-midwife-to-the-NMC/

I think you maybe right, it looks like she is a HCA. I have tried searching the NMC register by the three known surnames she is meant to have had and her name isn't coming up. I'll need to ask my cousin later how she knows or thinks this woman is a nurse.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The woman sounds unbalanced. If she is a real nurse there is no way someone who behaves like that at any time should be kept on.

I pity anyone who lives near someone like that, appalling.
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst if she is a nurse and that should be addressed, for your cousins safety do you not think it would be wiser to consult their landlord or the police and see what they can do? Has he been keeping a log of her behaviour?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst if she is a nurse and that should be addressed, for your cousins safety do you not think it would be wiser to consult their landlord or the police and see what they can do? Has he been keeping a log of her behaviour?

It is the so-called nurse's flat, she has bought it. I don't know if my cousin has been keeping a log but I think she is afraid of repercussions from them if she does anything.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    It is the so-called nurse's flat, she has bought it. I don't know if my cousin has been keeping a log but I think she is afraid of repercussions from them if she does anything.

Your cousin needs to seek advice from the council, you can support your cousin with this but you will not be able to deal with it as people like the council need to talk to your cousin.
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah right I understand. I think that the police would respect his wishes to remain annonymous, surely? The only other alternatives are to either put up with it or move house. Surely if they get this "nurse" removed from her job, she would have more free time and make your cousins life even worse (potentially)?
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Ah right I understand. I think that the police would respect his wishes to remain annonymous, surely? The only other alternatives are to either put up with it or move house. Surely if they get this "nurse" removed from her job, she would have more free time and make your cousins life even worse (potentially)?

If the cousin wishes to remain anonymous then the only thing the police can do is mention to the 'nurse' that a complaint has been made about her behaviour. No further action can be taken without complaints & statements.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt that off-duty behaviour (short of a conviction or caution) is likely to be relevant to the professional bodies. I certainly can't see that they can do anything if the complainer is reluctant to come forward to give evidence etc.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I doubt that off-duty behaviour (short of a conviction or caution) is likely to be relevant to the professional bodies. I certainly can't see that they can do anything if the complainer is reluctant to come forward to give evidence etc.
    If a registered nurse brings the profession into disrepute, they can certainly be reported to the NMC, then facing a hearing with the NMC, and could even be struck off for it. But this woman isn't a registered nurse by the sounds of it. A Healthcare Assistant doesn't have a regulatory body as far as I am aware.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »

BUT

I agree healthcare assistants or glorified cleaners in my opinion love to make out they are something they are not, in response to the OP tell the relatives to get as much evidence as they can, this can be filming via a mobile and also keep a log of the incidents.

No one should live in fear of violence due to the actions of an idiot.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Healthcare Assistant doesn't have a regulatory body as far as I am aware.

I have long since felt this needs to change. Desperately.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree healthcare assistants or glorified cleaners in my opinion love to make out they are something they are not, in response to the OP tell the relatives to get as much evidence as they can, this can be filming via a mobile and also keep a log of the incidents.

No one should live in fear of violence due to the actions of an idiot.

Do cleaners get lifting & handling training now then? You do realise that your "glorified cleaners" spend more time washing, dressing, feeding patients than an RGN would right?

Most ignorant comment of the day thus far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Do cleaners get lifting & handling training now then? You do realise that your "glorified cleaners" spend more time washing, dressing, feeding patients than an RGN would right?

Most ignorant comment of the day thus far.

You got there before me! They need to spend a day in the life of any care assistant!
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renepoos wrote: »
    You got there before me! They need to spend a day in the life of any care assistant!

It's bloody hard work too & sometimes very mentally challenging. Try bathing a dementia patient who is crying, screaming & trying to bite you. You can start at 6am & have up to 6 patients to perform their activities of daily living (IE, EVERYTHING). The only time they see an RGN (or whatever they call them now) is medication time & doctors rounds (assuming they even get visited by a Doctor)

I did it throughout my p2k training & I learnt far more bedside manners than I ever did sat on my ass in college talking shite about holistic care & sociology. PIES my ass.

Care assistants or Auxiliaries as they are called in Scotland are the backbone of the NHS now.

I'm not belittling the OPs concerns but my 1st port of call if I suspected maltreatment would be the ward manager.

Good luck my friend x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bloody hard work too & sometimes very mentally challenging. Try bathing a dementia patient who is crying, screaming & trying to bite you. You can start at 6am & have up to 6 patients to perform their activities of daily living (IE, EVERYTHING). The only time they see an RGN (or whatever they call them now) is medication time & doctors rounds (assuming they even get visited by a Doctor)

I did it throughout my p2k training & I learnt far more bedside manners than I ever did sat on my ass in college talking shite about holistic care & sociology. PIES my ass.

Care assistants or Auxiliaries as they are called in Scotland are the backbone of the NHS now.

I'm not belittling the OPs concerns but my 1st port of call if I suspected maltreatment would be the ward manager.

Good luck my friend x

This isn't happening in a place of work. It is happening when the HCA/nurse/whatever she is, is off duty.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't happening in a place of work. It is happening when the HCA/nurse/whatever she is, is off duty.

Indeed and even if the HCA was a qualified nurse a reprimand would only be considered if Professional Misconduct was involved or bringing her/his profession into disrepute.

Which is not the case here.

Keep a diary of their behaviour then go to the authorities who should act be it police or council.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renepoos wrote: »

I work in a Hospital and i would not fancy it from what i have seen.

HCA work is back breaking,particularly in these time of cuts.

The "Domestics" do the cleaning and that also is hard work for naff all pay.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    If a registered nurse brings the profession into disrepute, they can certainly be reported to the NMC, then facing a hearing with the NMC, and could even be struck off for it. But this woman isn't a registered nurse by the sounds of it. A Healthcare Assistant doesn't have a regulatory body as far as I am aware.

This is true. Look at NMC Hearings and you will see that a lot of the reasons why nurses are struck off are related to conduct outside of work, whether this be something like theft, violent behaviour, even being drunk and disorderly and behaving in a manner inconsistent with the high standards expected of the profession.

In response to some of the other HCA posters here who appear to have somewhat of a chip on their shoulders regarding registered nurses, registered nurses work very hard to get where they are and carry a lot of responsibility at work. The HCA may be delegated duties by the registered nurse but it is the registered nurse who is accountable for the standard of work carried out and it is he or she who faces disciplinary action when something goes wrong.

Giving drugs and accompanying doctors on rounds, even extensive paperwork, may be viewed as an 'easy' option by some HCAs except that the nurse must take responsibility for giving the correct drugs to the correct patients and is partially accountable for giving a drug dose prescribed in error by a doctor because nurses are expected to have in depth knowledge of every drug they administer, including normal dosages. Likewise, ward rounds are when decisions are made about patient treatments using a multi-disciplinary approach - the nurse is not only responsible for ensuring those decisions are communicated to the team and adhered to, he or she generally has to explain to the patient, in more simple terms, what those changes are.

The duties delegated to HCAs such as washing patients, assisting with feeding etc do not take 3 years of academic study, just a caring and compassionate approach. When I was a ward manager, I respected the hard work of my HCAs but I expected them to work in a supportive and respectful manner with the nursing team.

In ITU where I now work, even basic patient washing duties are the responsibility of the registered nurse and we have just one HCA on duty at any one time who ensures ward stock levels are replenished and assists the nursing team with patient rolls. It's an invaluable role but requires minimal training and, in this particular case, is much the easier option. HCAs may work hard but so do registered nurses and it's the registered nurses who carry the burden of responsibility which can make the job so mentally stressful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    This is true. Look at NMC Hearings and you will see that a lot of the reasons why nurses are struck off are related to conduct outside of work, whether this be something like theft, violent behaviour, even being drunk and disorderly and behaving in a manner inconsistent with the high standards expected of the profession.

In response to some of the other HCA posters here who appear to have somewhat of a chip on their shoulders regarding registered nurses, registered nurses work very hard to get where they are and carry a lot of responsibility at work. The HCA may be delegated duties by the registered nurse but it is the registered nurse who is accountable for the standard of work carried out and it is he or she who faces disciplinary action when something goes wrong.

Giving drugs and accompanying doctors on rounds, even extensive paperwork, may be viewed as an 'easy' option by some HCAs except that the nurse must take responsibility for giving the correct drugs to the correct patients and is partially accountable for giving a drug dose prescribed in error by a doctor because nurses are expected to have in depth knowledge of every drug they administer, including normal dosages. Likewise, ward rounds are when decisions are made about patient treatments using a multi-disciplinary approach - the nurse is not only responsible for ensuring those decisions are communicated to the team and adhered to, he or she generally has to explain to the patient, in more simple terms, what those changes are.

The duties delegated to HCAs such as washing patients, assisting with feeding etc do not take 3 years of academic study, just a caring and compassionate approach. When I was a ward manager, I respected the hard work of my HCAs but I expected them to work in a supportive and respectful manner with the nursing team.

In ITU where I now work, even basic patient washing duties are the responsibility of the registered nurse and we have just one HCA on duty at any one time who ensures ward stock levels are replenished and assists the nursing team with patient rolls. It's an invaluable role but requires minimal training and, in this particular case, is much the easier option. HCAs may work hard but so do registered nurses and it's the registered nurses who carry the burden of responsibility which can make the job so mentally stressful.

I agree with much of what you say but i would say the training of a registered nurse has changed if i speak with one of the older registered nurses at work, they rue the day nursing training moved away from hospitals and into universities primarily, leaving much less time for ward based training.

Our own Hospital had a school of nursing attached to it sadly no more.

Thats just an aside though.:)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would imagine, like the GMC, the NMC would only consider striking off if her fitness to practise nursing is impaired.

Her behaviour may have been abusive but Nurses are just people at the end of the day, not Saints and there are plenty of A holes in the profession. Behaving badly off duty may have no bearing on their ability to do their job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I would imagine, like the GMC, the NMC would only consider striking off if her fitness to practise nursing is impaired.

Her behaviour may have been abusive but Nurses are just people at the end of the day, not Saints and there are plenty of A holes in the profession. Behaving badly off duty may have no bearing on their ability to do their job.

Yes but seeing as we are talking about a HCA that would not come into it as they are not registered.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree healthcare assistants or glorified cleaners in my opinion
    Wow. I have been an actual cleaner and I take exception to that comment. It can be hard work being either a healthcare assistant or a cleaner.