Comments

• Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the person who picked him up on the error is a former DS poster!
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen Jones being economical with the truth in order to make a point?

That's news to some people?

The wannabe Mandelson padawan couldn't lie straight in bed.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Would that be the Owen Jones who is always lecturing about how he much he cares about poor working class people in the north but chooses to live in Islington (well away from them!).
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Are we meant to have heard of him, and will any "normal" people buy the book anyway?

I'm more concerned with politicians lying with cast iron guarentees, personal pledges and vows.
  • Options
    Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen Jones is a joke. Seen him a couple of times whilst trying to shout his 'working class' virtue to anyone who would listen. He went to a posh school and posher uni/college. He then has the cheek to talk about class mates being locked up. For what Tax Evasion? other 'middle class' crimes?

Read his book 'Chav, the demonetization of the working class' in the opening page him and his friends are having a dinner party taking the piss out of Chavs and people who shop at Woolworths.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A typo, well 4, 6 and 9, 2 are ever so close to each other on the keyboard, yeah right. More likely 46% doesn't sound anything like as good as 92% for my argument.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick_Davis wrote: »

You can't call someone a liar simply because they made an error – unless you can prove it was deliberate, which you can't. Therefore your post is libellous. Good luck in court! :D
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Owen Jones is a joke. Seen him a couple of times whilst trying to shout his 'working class' virtue to anyone who would listen. He went to a posh school and posher uni/college. He then has the cheek to talk about class mates being locked up. For what Tax Evasion? other 'middle class' crimes?

He went to Bramhall High, a comprehensive school - what's so posh about that? And why is it "cheek" to talk about classmates being locked up? You haven't really explained why he's a joke!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Would that be the Owen Jones who is always lecturing about how he much he cares about poor working class people in the north but chooses to live in Islington (well away from them!).

Why does it matter where he lives? :confused:
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usual Jones nonsense. He is always so caught up in his ranting, he makes all sorts of slips.

He's so cute though, I will always forgive him ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    He went to Bramhall High, a comprehensive school - what's so posh about that? And why is it "cheek" to talk about classmates being locked up? You haven't really explained why he's a joke!

Wow you looked on his Wiki page.

The fact it's a school in a posh area of a middle class town like Stockport. My Dad who lived in Stockport all his childhood called it posh.

My classmates have gone to prison, yeah for the most middle class crimes, I'm guessing.

As for him being a joke. He's a middle class **** who writes books about the working class being victimized and is up New Labour's backside all the time. He sounds like Labour's MPs who are utter jokes just look at Milliband, Abbott and Eagle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I thought I would check out what you said. Just because your dad called it posh doesn't meant that it was!
    My classmates have gone to prison, yeah for the most middle class crimes, I'm guessing.
    It's pointless to make a judgment like that if you don't actually know.
    As for him being a joke. He's a middle class **** who writes books about the working class being victimized and is up New Labour's backside all the time. He sounds like Labour's MPs who are utter jokes just look at Milliband, Abbott and Eagle.

You've still not made anything like a convincing case for your argument. Why shouldn't middle class people (if that's what he is) be allowed to champion the working class?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immature & a pain in the butt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Yes, I thought I would check out what you said. Just because your dad called it posh doesn't meant that it was!

It's pointless to make a judgment like that if you don't actually know.

You've still not made anything like a convincing case for your argument. Why shouldn't middle class people (if that's what he is) be allowed to champion the working class?

Have you ever been to Stockport?

When you're mocking people at dinner parties, it's a bit hypocritical to champion them in public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you ever been to Stockport? .
    Yes I have, but I don't see how that's relevant! In any case he did not go to a private fee-paying school, which is what people usually mean by a "posh school".
    When you're mocking people at dinner parties, it's a bit hypocritical to champion them in public.
    How do you know he's been mocking people at dinner parties?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    Immature & a pain in the butt

In what way?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like someone's got a chip on their shoulder. Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you not think maybe if he wrote about mocking chavs at a dinner party that was the part of what made him really think about why they were being demonised and then wrote the book??

Or is the book just him saying "Chavs I bloody hate them."

Owen Jones is great, he gets people like the posters in this thread all red faced and bloated with righteous indignation.

You can be rich and stand up for the rights of the poor.

Or are people saying that once you earn over a certain amount you have to start spitting on the poor and shouting at them to "know your place"
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pretty sure he talked about the dinner party in his book to show how people have negative perceptions of the working class etc. it certainly wasn't included so he could say that he personally thinks they're all chavs, cause that would be the exact opposite of what the rest of the book is saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The fact it's a school in a posh area of a middle class town like Stockport. My Dad who lived in Stockport all his childhood called it posh.

Im from the home counties........Stockport is in the north therefore it can be posh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Pretty sure he talked about the dinner party in his book to show how people have negative perceptions of the working class etc. it certainly wasn't included so he could say that he personally thinks they're all chavs, cause that would be the exact opposite of what the rest of the book is saying.

Ah I don't think it works like that. Apparently you only read the opening chapter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sensoria wrote: »
    Do you not think maybe if he wrote about mocking chavs at a dinner party that was the part of what made him really think about why they were being demonised and then wrote the book??

Or is the book just him saying "Chavs I bloody hate them."

Owen Jones is great, he gets people like the posters in this thread all red faced and bloated with righteous indignation.

You can be rich and stand up for the rights of the poor.

Or are people saying that once you earn over a certain amount you have to start spitting on the poor and shouting at them to "know your place"
    That's often the impression given by his detractors, yes

Perhaps if he looked more like his age (30), people would take him more seriously. I'm sure some think he's still a teenager!
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the mistake. (I think we can all agree that 46% of 50 and 46 out of 50 are not the same thing).

When Owen Jones faces the OP....Rick Davis.....in court he will have no difficulty in demonstrating that it was no more than a mistake, by simply showing the court the relevant paragraph in the book. (We have all read the book......Yes?)

But I can't see the 3 x Lies claimed by the OP?
    We will have to wait to hear the defence. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    Ah I don't think it works like that. Apparently you only read the opening chapter.

Sorry I had to put it down, I was feeling nauseous whilst reading it, get the same feeling when reading his column for the Guardian and twitter feed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I had to put it down, I was feeling nauseous whilst reading it, get the same feeling when reading his column for the Guardian.

Probably best not to form an opinion on the authors point of view from the small amount of the book you read then....

Actually you can form an opinion but if you air it you may look a bit foolish if the whole premise of the book is the demonization of the chav.....