Humax/Toppy recording from external source

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
Hi

This may sound like an odd question but here goes:

I'm looking into the Humax/Toppy PVR, and basically want to know, if either of these can do the following - I have some VHS tapes I'd like to archive, and basically want to play my VCR through the PVR and archive the VHS material onto the hard disc.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not with the Humax. Very few (if any) Freeview PVR allows this. Normally they just record the pre-encoded digital signal onto the harddrive and can't actually convert anything into digital.
  • DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - you need an MPEG encoder to do this which none of the current crop of Freeview PVR's have. You could look at a DVD recorder with a hard disk as an alternative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Would something like the Sony 710 (DVD + HDD + Freeview) do the job?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Yup Sony 710 is a pretty good choice if you can live with the fact that there's only one digital tuner and not 2 like in most of the decent Freeview PVRs. Another option would be to get a Freeview twin and then any old "cheap and cheerful" DVD recorder which range from about £60 upwards at the supermarkets. (Panasonic DMRES10 for £105-£110 at some Tescos is a good one!)

Cliff
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    If you get a DVD recorder and a twin-tuner PVR then get a PVR with decent editing facilities. For example, the Topfield is not as good and easy to edit programmes on as the Pioneer 420H HDD/DVDR.

The Topfield is far and away the best PVR (in my experience) and a better option to archiving to DVD from it is to first transfer the recordings to the PC then edit and save from there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Yup, if budget allows get both a twin Freeview PVR and a DVDR that contains a hard drive. The former gives you all the "two things at once" functionality and the latter will be better for editing recordings before committing to disc.

Cliff