Dead Ipod pn day one!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
Forum Member
✭✭
I had an Ipod nano 4gb yest for xmas...
Already had itunes on my pc so just plugged it in.

Itunes opened and said there was newer ipod software available to update, so I clicked ok.
It then downloaded some software but then gave me a popup saying "update failed for an unknown reason, unable to update this ipod.

The ipod is now empty in windows explorer whereas yesterday when xp saw it it had a few files and folders on it, I assume this was the OS??

Now when I connect it up, itunes opens and says the ipod needs to be restored.
So I click restore, it does some stuff and says its completed and is restarting, but then the same message comes up saying it needs to be restored.
This just happens over and over and the restore doesnt actually seem to do anything.

How can I get the OS back onto my ipod??
Can anyone help?

Comments

• Hopeless_SavageHopeless_Savage Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you use the Ipod and tell it to restore factory settings?
    Should be in the options.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that what I already said above..
    It lets me restore, and says its completed. The ipod restarts and the apple logo comes up, and then it just shows a no entry sign on the screen and the itunes software says it needs restoring again... and the cycle goes around and around but it doesnt actually restore any firmware onto it....
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which version of iTunes are you on? Just been having a look on the Apple site and it says you need iTunes 7.0 or later to resolve this issue.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303615

Can't see anything else as yet.

If that doesn't solve it, I'd be taking the sodding thing back for a new one. Shouldn't be having these problems, unless of course it's as simple as not keeping the iTunes software itself up to date.

Oh, I know there have been issues with Vista and and the new version of iTunes not recognising iPods. There's been a thread recently if you want to do a search.
  • Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh this happened to me as well, well... I caused it trying to get it working in Linux :o

First, download the latest version of iTunes.

What you need to do is reset it first using the "turn hold on then off again, press menu and the middle button together until the apple logo comes up" trick. Then, open iTunes and plug the iPod in, it should recognise it. Then click restore, it should download the current software and install it, it should be alright after it restores.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HAd the lestest version...
    cant get the stuffing thing to work..
    taking it back tmrw...
    thanks anyway for the input guys!!