Options

is there any way to reclaim bank charges?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
Forum Member
✭✭
Basically I've been charged for going overdrawn by my bank, a grand total of £183, which is almost as much as I've gone overdrawn by. I also got charged for this again (£15) a month ago even though this was down to a company I have a direct debit with charging me twice by accident.

Usually I get sent a letter telling me that I am going to get charged but I haven't recieved one this time, I've just been to see the bank and although she said there was nothing I could do about the initial £108, she would cancel £50 of the £75 that I would be charged with at the end of this month. Then after a bit of a chat, she was really nice and (after I got a bit flustered :o) offered to cancel the £75 charge completely.

I appreciate that that was at her discretion, and it was very nice of her considering she didn't have to do it...but how can they say there's nothing they can do when there clearly is? Basically, is there anything at all I can do to appeal against this £108 charge? It's a LOT of money, and it seems that before I've even had a change to earn it back (I have 2 jobs) it's all gone again in fees and charges :(

Comments

• Options
    rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    google martyn lewis,hes an expert thats had shows and programmes about this,and has taken many banks to court and won
    on his website,hes got a template you can print and sign to send to your bank,he wknows everything there is to know.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it sounds harsh but maybe you need to acquire the discipline of managing your account better and this sort of thing won't happen!

other options are if you can't avoid going overdrawn to get a small agreed overdraft facility, and if you have any savings place some of them in a deposit account with your bank and arrange with them that if your current account goes overdrawn to automatically replenish it from the deposit account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    it sounds harsh but maybe you need to acquire the discipline of managing your account better and this sort of thing won't happen!

other options are if you can't avoid going overdrawn to get a small agreed overdraft facility, and if you have any savings place some of them in a deposit account with your bank and arrange with them that if your current account goes overdrawn to automatically replenish it from the deposit account.

I see where you are coming from and to be honest I don't make a habit of it - it was the last 3 weeks of the uni term and I had literally nothing else - no savings, no overdraft, NOTHING.

Apparently they charge £25 for an overdraft facility...which sort of defeats the object of having one. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rolergirl wrote: »
    google martyn lewis,hes an expert thats had shows and programmes about this,and has taken many banks to court and won
    on his website,hes got a template you can print and sign to send to your bank,he wknows everything there is to know.

Thanks, I'll look into it :) It just seems as though it's down to the individual at the bank who I see..who knows, if I tried on another day they may just have wiped it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnnycash wrote: »
    Apparently they charge £25 for an overdraft facility...which sort of defeats the object of having one. :rolleyes:
    yes but quite a bit cheaper than the £183 charges you ran up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    yes but quite a bit cheaper than the £183 charges you ran up!

Sssh :o
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Johnnycash wrote: »
    Basically I've been charged for going overdrawn by my bank, a grand total of £183, which is almost as much as I've gone overdrawn by. I also got charged for this again (£15) a month ago even though this was down to a company I have a direct debit with charging me twice by accident.

Usually I get sent a letter telling me that I am going to get charged but I haven't recieved one this time, I've just been to see the bank and although she said there was nothing I could do about the initial £108, she would cancel £50 of the £75 that I would be charged with at the end of this month. Then after a bit of a chat, she was really nice and (after I got a bit flustered :o) offered to cancel the £75 charge completely.

I appreciate that that was at her discretion, and it was very nice of her considering she didn't have to do it...but how can they say there's nothing they can do when there clearly is? Basically, is there anything at all I can do to appeal against this £108 charge? It's a LOT of money, and it seems that before I've even had a change to earn it back (I have 2 jobs) it's all gone again in fees and charges :(

Check out http://www.moneysavingexpert.com. On there are instructions on how to reclaim bank charges. However..

1) Claims have been put on hold while the court case goes through. Most recently, the courts decided that the FSA do have the right to define whether the charges are unlawful, however the FSA have yet to come to a decision about whether they are unlawful or not. It is likely that they will decide so, however. Also, the banks are due to appeal so that will make it take even longer.

2) If you do claim and are successful, there is a very good chance that the bank will give you 4 weeks notice that they are closing your account(s).
    rolergirl wrote: »

Martin Lewis has never taken a single bank to court nor has he won a court case against them.
  • Options
    craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all seems to have gone quiet as far as reclaiming bank charges goes in the media. Is it still possible to reclaim them or have the banks been given the all clear?
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    craigy132 wrote: »
    It all seems to have gone quiet as far as reclaiming bank charges goes in the media. Is it still possible to reclaim them or have the banks been given the all clear?

the claims are all on hold, unless you can show real hardship
    theres a bit on the moneysavingexpert website
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    We were talking about this today, the banks slap charges on customers for everything.

Now that the government via the tax payer could be bailing the banks out, does this mean they owe the public charges now. ?

God I really hate Banks :mad:

Except when Ive got money in them. :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    craigy132 wrote: »

As far as I remember - there's an appeal with the banks, so they aren't settling any claims, but if they lose the appeal, they will have to give back all charges to customers. With the credit crunch and that - could be very interesting if they do lose
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fuzzibear wrote: »
    As far as I remember - there's an appeal with the banks, so they aren't settling any claims, but if they lose the appeal, they will have to give back all charges to customers. With the credit crunch and that - could be very interesting if they do lose

No the appeal is about whether there will be a court case or not. Even if the banks lose there will still have to be another court case which will no doubt go all the way to the House of Lords.