600MHz Interim DVB-T2 Multiplexes

Comments

• Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The 50th is the only 3D programme.

Cheers mossy.

Yep, looks like the beeb aren't wasting any more money on 3D as the Olympics proved there's simply no demand for it. I guess they've only said they'll do this as they already made a commitment as part of their 3D plans.

As for RB HD, I do wonder if, after the beeb have got all their services in HD if they'll buy another DTT slot on one of the new Mux's and put RB HD on there (and Satellite/Cable) to complete their offering in that respect? BBC Parliament and Alba would thus be the two remaining services not in HD and to be honest there's no reason for them to be for a long time considering their output but the Red Button video stream would certainly benefit.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a wideband aerial for Divis due to their pre-DSO frequencies. Now everything is in the 21-29 range I was considering getting a band A aerial (as I understand widebands are at their weakest in the lower frequencies) instead, but if these new MUX's are going to be in the higher bands, I might just keep it after all!
  • Options
    Peter RheaPeter Rhea Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    All the '600 Mhz' channels (31 - 37, excluding 36) are in-band for a modern group A aerial. Divis will be using chs. 33 & 34.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to summarise from postings on other threads, Crystal Palace commenced broadcasting Mux E on Channel 33 today.

Currently the only channel carried is a preview reel for Al Jazeera English HD on LCN 108.
  • Options
    jazzfunksterjazzfunkster Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if ITV have plans to launch either ITV+1 HD or a ITV 24/7 HD type channel on Freeview?
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if ITV have plans to launch either ITV+1 HD or a ITV 24/7 HD type channel on Freeview?

Well we are yet to see who takes capacity on Mux F launching next year, so there is a chance.

However it would need an about face from Adam Crozier who has previously stated that he is determined that all ITV HD channels (except ITV HD itself) should be chargeable via a Pay TV package.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if it's been posted before, but does anyone have a link to the Freeview interim mux rollout plans? I want to know when I need to check if various relatives are receiving them correctly.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OwenSmith wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been posted before, but does anyone have a link to the Freeview interim mux rollout plans? I want to know when I need to check if various relatives are receiving them correctly.

They'll be on the Digital UK postcode checker from Mid November - Looks like Crystal Palace, Wenvoe, Black Hill and Divis will be the ones by years end though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    They'll be on the Digital UK postcode checker from Mid November - Looks like Crystal Palace, Wenvoe, Black Hill and Divis will be the ones by years end though.

I'm interested in Emley Moor and Sandy Heath. No doubt Sandy Heath will be one of the last, we're usually last to get things. I guess I should be thankful for being lucky enough that Sandy Heath is getting the interim muxes. My battle to receive them will then begin (pretty much for BBC4 HD).
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    I'm interested in Emley Moor and Sandy Heath. No doubt Sandy Heath will be one of the last, we're usually last to get things. I guess I should be thankful for being lucky enough that Sandy Heath is getting the interim muxes. My battle to receive them will then begin (pretty much for BBC4 HD).

Sandy was down for September in the original plan, earliest I'd expect them is Wimbledon, which seems to be the target date for the rollout, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are later than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Sandy was down for September in the original plan, earliest I'd expect them is Wimbledon, which seems to be the target date for the rollout, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are later than that.

Sandy Heath usually gets a bad deal, we had about 5 DSO retunes as one COM mux at a time changed frequency, sometimes multiple times!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sandy Heath usually gets a bad deal, we had about 5 DSO retunes as one COM mux at a time changed frequency, sometimes multiple times!

I know, I had to endure it too :(
    Also we didn't get the original interim HD mux, and C5 analogue was at ridiculously low power. Then you have the lack of local DAB because London needed frequencies for three muxes in addition to the nationals...

Anyway, things are improving with the 600MHz muxes and the local mux all cleared for launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, I had to endure it too :(
    Also we didn't get the original interim HD mux, and C5 analogue was at ridiculously low power. Then you have the lack of local DAB because London needed frequencies for three muxes in addition to the nationals...

Hah, I got the even lower power Maddingley C5 since the Sandy Heath one wasn't radiated towards Cambridge. By 'eck it were grim in them days...

I hadn't realised why we get no local DAB multiplexes. Typical of London's priorities to come first, first and first respectively for all three frequencies.
  • Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't realised why we get no local DAB multiplexes. Typical of London's priorities to come first, first and first respectively for all three frequencies.

Not to mention the fact that local DAB expansion froze for many months, largely due to lack of interest in DAB by the station and multiplex operators.
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Exactly, to use anything but BBC Red Button HD would be silly. I'm sure it'll be in 3D on iPlayer also.

Also, a 3D Dr Who isn't as big of an event as you claim. The Wimbledon 2013 men's final was watched by at least twice as many people as a standard Dr Who episode.

As a SKY and Freeview viewer I will be out at the 50th Dr Who extravaganza in London that weekend. As I cant record from Sky I will be buying the bluray 3D out soon after....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hah, I got the even lower power Maddingley C5 since the Sandy Heath one wasn't radiated towards Cambridge. By 'eck it were grim in them days...

On the plus side that should mean you have a good chance of getting the Cambridge local mux.

Admittedly I'm making a bit of an assumption that that's the reason, but given that London 1,2,3 and the national DAB allocations took up five of the seven available channels, and overlapped into Sandy's coverage area (I used to be able to intermittently pick up one of the London muxes where I used to live only a few miles south of the TX), I don't think it's much of a stretch.
    jj20x wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that local DAB expansion froze for many months, largely due to lack of interest in DAB by the station and multiplex operators.

Bit of an understatement there. It took SIX YEARS from application to launch. Some other areas in the same round of licensing are still waiting!

A lot of the delay was down to deciding to consolidate some areas long after the award decisions had been made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of an understatement there. It took SIX YEARS from application to launch. Some other areas in the same round of licensing are still waiting!

Oh I know it was an understatement, the situation has been completely ridiculous.
    A lot of the delay was down to deciding to consolidate some areas long after the award decisions had been made.

Companies applying for licences to keep out the competition with no real plans to go ahead with the service. If the will had been there, consolidation could have taken place years ago. But the trend was to just use any delaying tactic possible. Global's lack of interest in DAB didn't do anything to speed things up.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    Oh I know it was an understatement, the situation has been completely ridiculous.

Companies applying for licences to keep out the competition with no real plans to go ahead with the service. If the will had been there, consolidation could have taken place years ago. But the trend was to just use any delaying tactic possible. Global's lack of interest in DAB didn't do anything to speed things up.

Why dont ofcom just charge broadcasters who apply for licences and dont broadcast anything, just so as they can stop others broadcasting?
    If a broadcaster is allocated bandwidth it should be used within a certain time or be lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Why dont ofcom just charge broadcasters who apply for licences and dont broadcast anything, just so as they can stop others broadcasting?
    If a broadcaster is allocated bandwidth it should be used within a certain time or be lost.

Ofcom probably could have acted much sooner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »

They do - actually they revoke the licence. The DAB muxes had two years to launch, but it was Ofcom doing a lot of the delaying (and/or maybe not wanting to re-advertise due to the risk of no applicants), so they allowed the start dates to be pushed back, and back, and back...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do - actually they revoke the licence. The DAB muxes had two years to launch, but it was Ofcom doing a lot of the delaying (and/or maybe not wanting to re-advertise due to the risk of no applicants), so they allowed the start dates to be pushed back, and back, and back...

Getting the local stations onto a re-advertised multiplex would have just been a further obstacle, bearing in mind the ownership of the stations in many of the areas.

Much of the dispute was about funding, especially after the BBC were given the go ahead to fund national DAB expansion from the licence fee.

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/article/1044331/radio-groups-plan-anti-dab-campaign
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the plus side that should mean you have a good chance of getting the Cambridge local mux.

I didn't realise the Cambridge local mux was going to be broadcast from Maddingley. It's about 15 degrees off beam for my aerial which for C5 analogue caused problems, but the signal strength was OK so with digital I should get the local mux. I'll probably have more problems getting Mux 7 from Sandy Heath, and that's more important to me (I can't imagine what will be on the local mux that interests me).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    (I can't imagine what will be on the local mux that interests me).

http://www.cambridgepresents.co.uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks.

EDIT: that appears to be a content free page. There doesn't appear to be anything to click on to take me to a more informative page either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

EDIT: that appears to be a content free page. There doesn't appear to be anything to click on to take me to a more informative page either.

Yeah, there's not much on there at the moment. Try these:
    http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/local-tv/applicants/localtv/Cambridgeapplicat.pdf
    http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/local-tv/applicants/localtv/Cambridgeindicati.pdf

They haven't been awarded a licence yet but as the only applicant unless they've completely screwed up the application document they should be soon.