It's a small world.

treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was watching 'The Cube' tonight and one of the contestants was a guy that I used to play golf with.
It wasn't a huge surprise to me. I'm used to these things happening.

I befriended a girl in San Tropez once on holiday and literally bumped into her 3 weeks later outside Harrods.

I was once on a skiing holiday in Austria, on a bus going up the mountain and somebody behind me said "Mark?".

It was my cousin.

Have you got any weird stories like this?

Comments

• varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten" - Terry Pratchett
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    "It's a small world" ....and yet I never run into Brad Pitt :p
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad is the king of this. I don't really go anywhere with him these days but when I was a kid he would see someone he knew anywhere we went in England, Europe, at motorway service stations, seaside resorts, theme parks, airports...everywhere

I don't know if he's known more people than some, or if it's just coincidence

Edit - he's more recognisable from a distance than most people
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I needed a new pair of shoes and I walked past a shoe maker
  • LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    I met a couple on holiday in Bulgaria who were actually from the same city as me, we spent almost the entire week with them but never exchanged contact details at the end,

3 years later we go on holiday to new york and bump into the same couple in Times square!
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just remembered another one.

At school, my best friend was a Sikh. Several years after we left school he had an arranged marriage to a girl from India that had never been to England before.

It later transpired that her uncle lived next door to my father.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad is the king of this. I don't really go anywhere with him these days but when I was a kid he would see someone he knew anywhere we went in England, Europe, at motorway service stations, seaside resorts, theme parks, airports...everywhere

I don't know if he's known more people than some, or if it's just coincidence

My dad is the same, no matter where we went he would see someone he knew.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    Someone who married my mam's auntie was on Pointless last week. She hadn't seen him for years.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this thread reminds me of six degrees of separation which imo is bullcrap
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met a guy I went to school with when I was Sydney which was pretty surreal at the time as I hadn't seen him for about 10 years.

I then bumped his mum a few weeks after I returned home only to be told that he had died in a car crash in Northern Australia the week after I had met him.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went all the way to Cairns in Queensland only to bump into a bloke who lived around the corner from me in London. Neither of us knew the other was going.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was in my teens we were coming back from a holiday and bumped into some family friends in Gatwick airport (at baggage collection) who had been on holiday at the same time. Bit weird, but these things happen.

Back in 2008 someone I went to college with turned out to be the primary contact my department had with a technology company that was in the building next door. That was a bit odd, but more likely as it was within 20 miles of the college we both went too.