Freemen on the land

Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone else come across this bizarre group?

Where they claim that things like the courts have legal authority, that judges are committing treason other such rubbish

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a news story a while back about a large group of people who turned up to prevent bailiffs evicting an elderly man from his home. If I remember correctly, it turned out he was also claiming to be a freeman on the land as well.

I suppose it's the UK version of what they've been doing in the states for years - just with less guns :)
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you fully read up on it, it's quite eye opening really, apparently all Laws ( and there aren't many) all date back to the Magna Carta, which cannot be changed, so the " Laws " that are passed by Parliament are in fact not Laws just Acts and Statuates so it's said, It's interesting stuff.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I saw one on youtube where a guy gets pulled over by traffic cops and refuses to give his name, licence, or anything really. I'll try to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2e-VPdzoQ

Edit - this guy calls himself a scottish sovereign but he seems quite FMOTL to me. Oh, just remembered, this is the guy who isn't driving a car, but simply travelling. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVbiefMdNU

It doesn't seem to fly so well in the US!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsgXWPRbKQE

It's all kicked off here.

It seems to be people denying modern law by querying definitions of words and harking back to centuries ago.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're a bunch of numpties in reality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're a bunch of numpties in reality.

Hardly Numpties, when in reality they have an understanding of the Law that probably the majority of us dont have, which they use Lawfully and legally to their advantage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly Numpties, when in reality they have an understanding of the Law that probably the majority of us dont have, which they use Lawfully and legally to their advantage.

Except they don't. They just think they do.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They have zero understanding of the law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except they don't. They just think they do.

Some do know more, but it's easy for others to dismiss them and say they are numpties without understanding it yourself.

I don't profess to understand it all, but what i have read and the videos/ documentaries i have seen certainly makes me think.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i thought this was going to be about permaculture :blush::(.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some do know more, but it's easy for others to dismiss them and say they are numpties without understanding it yourself.

I don't profess to understand it all, but what i have read and the videos/ documentaries i have seen certainly makes me think.
    Has this stuff ever been upheld in a British court? Unless it actually works in practice, the "Freemen on the Land" movement is spreading dangerous disinformation on "rights" which will not be upheld when it matters.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange how the FMOTL stuff only seems to apply when someone is trying to dodge a responsibility, penalty or fine. :D
    Anyhow I have yet to hear of it actually working. Would be more than happy however if someone could post a link to prove me wrong.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently, if one is a Freeman on the Land, one can buy an ID card to identify oneself a such.

I am now taking a moment to fully appreciate the thought of FotL issuing ID cards to themselves.
  • MaxBetaMaxBeta Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they think that common law applies and statute law doesn't, then I mustn't murder one of them but would be OK to burgle their houses and kick them in the nuts, presumably.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do understand the law, and can quite safely say they are numpties. They read stuff which they interpret as applicable to modern life, when in fact most of what they say is rubbish.

If you listen to the way they present their case, without understanding the reality, it may seem to make sense. That's how they attract supporters.

The problem arises when they try to use their theories. It all falls down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MaxBeta wrote: »
    If they think that common law applies and statute law doesn't, then I mustn't murder one of them but would be OK to burgle their houses and kick them in the nuts, presumably.

Actually, I believe that those things would be covered by common law (a charge of murder, for example, is phrased as "that on or about [date] you did murder [name] contrary to common law")

I'm sure that some things could be found that would be strictly a matter of statute law and still annoy them, though. Noise abatement, perhaps, or having a picnic on their front doorstep?
  • MaxBetaMaxBeta Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    Actually, I believe that those things would be covered by common law (a charge of murder, for example, is phrased as "that on or about [date] you did murder [name] contrary to common law")

I'm sure that some things could be found that would be strictly a matter of statute law and still annoy them, though. Noise abatement, perhaps, or having a picnic on their front doorstep?

Murder is contrary to common law. Burglary and assault are contrary to statute law (Theft Act 1968, Offences Against the Person Act 1861), that's why I gave those particular examples. No doubt they were contrary to common law as well before the statutes were enacted, but I was just trying to illustrate how silly it is to believe in one and not the other.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are sheep. They read something on the internet, like the sound of it and accept it as "truth".

I am cool with someone who challenges the right of a group to impose laws on others. Does one have the freedom to standup and simply say "I opt out of the law", do others have a right to impose their views on you?

However the free men seek to find justification to ignore laws in the law itself, simply by (arbitrarily) selecting which "root" law they like and rejecting all subsequent laws, and also choosing to use their own interpretation of words and phrases, some of which is simply bizarre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has this stuff ever been upheld in a British court? Unless it actually works in practice, the "Freemen on the Land" movement is spreading dangerous disinformation on "rights" which will not be upheld when it matters.
    Not to my knowledge there are a few videos of claimed "success", but all they show is the legal authority not choosing to hear the case (at that time) or it being rejected on some other ground.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    They are sheep. They read something on the internet, like the sound of it and accept it as "truth".

I am cool with someone who challenges the right of a group to impose laws on others. Does one have the freedom to standup and simply say "I opt out of the law", do others have a right to impose their views on you?

However the free men seek to find justification to ignore laws in the law itself, simply by (arbitrarily) selecting which "root" law they like and rejecting all subsequent laws, and also choosing to use their own interpretation of words and phrases, some of which is simply bizarre.
    The fact that this is discussed indepth on the David Icke forums proves how bizarre their views are
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At what point does this garbage become incitement? A lot of it is blatantly telling people they can get away with offences such as non-payment of Council Tax if they "opt out" of statute law.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you fully read up on it, it's quite eye opening really, apparently all Laws ( and there aren't many) all date back to the Magna Carta, which cannot be changed, so the " Laws " that are passed by Parliament are in fact not Laws just Acts and Statuates so it's said, It's interesting stuff.

its absolute nonsense though, utter tripe made up by loonballs that never stands up in court
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

they dont have an understanding of the law though they are just talking nonsense and it has never stood up in court, the only examples of it working are when policemen and women have been confused by it, im sure they are all fully briefed on this pish now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heres a more recent example of police dealing with it, it doesnt end well for the freeman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmCcghxgFI0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    The fact that this is discussed indepth on the David Icke forums proves how bizarre their views are

I really don't like going to that forum, but there was once a thread of there where the freemen were arguing with each other as to whether destroying your birth certificate removes your obligation to follow the law.

Those objecting were not doing it on the grounds of "don't talk shit", but on the grounds that there is no legal obligation to begin with,