Big Trouble In Little China being remade

EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay, so another classic, and still underrated film, is getting a pointless remake but what makes it worse is Kurt Russell is being replaced with................The Rock! Even at this early stage, where not a single frame has been shot, I'm out. The only good thing is it's made me realise I've not seen the original in ages so I'm going to have to dig it out and watch it again. More on the soul destroying news in the link below.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/71720

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Terrible. Though i'd like a Kim Cattrall or Kurt Russell cameo.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a thing that should not ever happen.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soul destroying? Really?

If anything, it'll more likely bring the original to the attention of a generation that have never heard of it.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although a sequel would be better, I dont mind a remake of this. The casting of the rock seems wrong though,I would like to see someone like Chris pratt do it or maybe even Mark wahlberg.
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of the truly worst films of all time, a remake? are they mad?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If it is remade i'll give it a watch. It's not going to change my view of the original which is one of my favourite films.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    So, another 80s fanboy touchstone gets pillaged. Cinema's arrested development continues apace.

The irony is, of course, that many of those already moaning will be first in line to see it, and it's the nerdy pedastal these things are put on that make them so ripe for exploitation.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure any remake will be able to capture the brilliantly unique madness that is Big Trouble in Little China.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I'm not sure any remake will be able to capture the brilliantly unique madness that is Big Trouble in Little China.
    Plus the special effects were of their time and suited it perfectly.

I can't imagine the same feel with modern CGI
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Trouble in Little China verges between fun madcap and noisy nonsense. To the child of the late 70's and 1980's it is a cult classic fondly remembered alongside The Goonies and Gremlins when it comes to comedy action. Kurt Russell at his best, a young Kim Cattrall and Victor Wong!

A remake will probably be better written. However, it's near impossible to remake anything directed by John Carpenter as he added such a unique touch in his prime. The visual effects will be annoyingly slick, like everything else these days.

The best route would be a loose sequel/remake, with The Rock as a new character and Kurt Russell reprising his Jack Burton role. James Hong is still working, so it would be nice to see a cameo.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will never be able to beat the original Big Trouble In Little China. It had that 80's charm and wit that now looks dated but is still quite good. The update in effects will detract from it's genre of action and martial arts as they were types of film that belonged to that era of time.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Big Trouble in Little China is a film that almost seems to defy description. When somebody asks "What's it about?" it's kind of difficult to explain. It's a comedy, action, buddy, kung-fu ghost story movie about a wise-cracking trucker who is the hero, but isn't the hero versus a 2,000 year old chinese ghost.

People just look at you confused.

But it's brilliant!
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the worst remake ideas yet.