The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Chris Evans for Top Gear - well, the program has lost this viewer. Agree with you Lena J .

I too have a Mt Everest of ironing to tackle - a bit too hot today to tackle it. Washed the windows, kitchen floor and hoovered and dusted.

So glad to hear your dad is better augusta. Just apppreciate every day with him.

Quite a few places to see in Cambridge so guess we will have 3 days there - hope so anyway.

Well, must get dinner started - tuna salad and potato salad and a green salad - too hot to cook!!!!
  • georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Morning :D

Sorry not be around,
    Helping best mate out with her lot, while she takes care of her Hubs
    his Chemo started this week , two lots already :(

My Neck is still sore, can't turn my head, good job i have parking sensors around my car,
    i've needed it this week

going to read back now
    hope all are good x
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Morning everyone, weather blithering freezing this morning, well 13c to be exact......but it feels freezing. It's June for goodness sake and my lounge is struggling to hit 20c. Even Twinkle is snuggled in her fleece looking thoroughly unimpressed. :kitty: No idea what this smilie is actually for but it's kind of cool they have their very own pic :)

I'm sorry to hear that your Dad is unwell augusta and your friend, georgy. Sending all good wishes their way.

We've also been hit with some very sad news which is why I've been missing a few days. My cousins son (our godson) collapsed and died last week, he's only a couple of years older than our son. I don't think any of us can quite believe it, his family are devastated as you can imagine. :(

Then this weekend I've had a gut full of the in-laws. O/h put his head above the parapet for a couple of hours on Saturday and since then it's been endless calls, texts and requests.
    Quite simply, despite her protests, my MiL at the ripe old age of 95 is not managing in her own home, even with an army of carers and a daughter who won't admit defeat. 'Mummy' rings around the family telling them a load of old rubbish, which they stupidly believe (mainly because it suits them to) and then my o/h is called to confirm or deny what she's told them. She is becoming more and more confused and is as stubborn as a mule. This is why we never got on (the stubborn as a mule bit, not confused.....well not yet anyway) :D

On a brighter note, we went and saw The Mousetrap on Friday night. Saw it back in 1977 in it's 25th anniversary year, one of our first dates. :blush: Thoroughly enjoyed it and now we've decided to book tickets for the 'Murder in the Park' thriller season. Four plays over four weeks, trying to decide which ones we want to see the most. Can we justify the theatre four weeks in a row???

I,m so sorry about your Godson, so young
    what a shock that must of been, sending wishes your way x

and wishing you all the luck in the world with inlaws
    sounds like you need it........... never had to deal with a mother in law, but the father in law
    could sometimes be hard work.
    Hope you get her sorted its hard to know what to do for the best really x
    Forum Member
    I'm with you, struggling to find a redeeming feature among any of them. Maybe this is why I've now got three episodes stored on my box waiting to be viewed. If I really love something I devour them as soon as they've aired.
    What is interesting is how the story is told from two different viewpoints. Their version of events differ by some margin. Is this how things really happened or how they want to believe they happened? Does that make sense??

I am loving Madam Secretary though and Dark Matter premiers on SyFy tonight, which we'll give the '20 minute' test. And Person of Interest resumes this week yay, taken off to accommodate BB, boo.

Anyone fancy the new Jurassic Park?? Must admit I love these films. :blush:
    Also, like the look of Mr Holmes with Ian McKellen, a lot of which was filmed in beautiful Rye countryside, near our neck of the woods. :)

I,m so going to see this, when i have time.......... love a good, fun action film
    a little embarrassed to admit....... huge fast and furious fan to :blush:
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Morning all

So sorry to hear your sad news Lena. Life can be very cruel at times. I have a friend who is so brave and strong - her son is dying before her eyes. Don't really know what to do to support her. I also hope Lena, that MiL problem is resolved before too long. Conflict within the family really causes strain - I speak from experience.

Hope things get better for you augusta and georgy. Being ill and having seriously ill family is difficult to cope with.

Hope everyone is better. Georgy, just read through the posts and there is only one LINA store - it's in Soho, but they do have a website. I get fontina cheese and lovely thin rosemary biscuits from them. Next time we meet up, I will take you there.

We had our village fete on Saturday but it was competing with a local beer festival, carnival, local flower show and the Magna Carta celebrations on the river - think the organizing committee should be SHOT!!!

Looks like I'm going to get a few days in Cambridge. My o/h has these enormous speakers and they need fixing so. . . Would like to go to Ely as I've never been there.

Anyway, hope all is well with everyone - I'm off to Oxford today for a lecture on the Magna Carta.

Have a great day.

Thank Nyannie
    you sound like a busy bee
    would love to go to the Lina store
    we need to get a date fixed, i so enjoy our time together :D
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    its a beautiful sunny day here, busy visiting dad in hospital, he was feeling much more cheerful which is a good sign.

Cambridge and Ely are lovely places, I think you will love to go visiting there.

of course you can justify the theatre 4 weeks in a row....life is meant to be for enjoying.......not to just live...........

now I have to take some of my own advice!

So please to hear your Dad is a little brighter
    you're right thats a good sign x

do you know how long he will be there
    have they given you some idea
    Forum Member
    Good morning, how are we all, good I hope? :)

How's the neck and back georgy, is the new mattress helping?? Have you tried laying on the floor with your knees raised and feet flat on floor? I used to do that for 10 minutes three times a day when my back was bad and it seemed to help. Also there's an orthopaedic pillow you can get that has a roll bit that supports your neck whilst cradling your head. My o/h has one from Ikea, which is a lot firmer than some you can get.

So Chris Evans is the new presenter of Top Gear.....good luck with that then. I can't stand the guy, so won't be watching. I think they'll have to come up with a totally new format as comparisons will inevitably be made to the trio that made Top Gear the huge global success that it became. I miss those guys. :(

The good news is there will be a final show with the three amigo's to be aired on Sunday June 28th on BBC2 at 8pm and will be 75 minutes long. One last hooray!! :D

Really hoping they will turn up on another network, I'm wondering if something will be announced AFTER the final show airs??

Mattress is good, lower back feels better
    its the neck Lena ...... i can't turn it :o thanks for the idea's , i shall look into the pillow
    i,m getting desperate, shall try anything now :D

Chris Evans new top gear presenter....... yuck can't stand him, he does know about
    cars but i won,t be watching x
    Forum Member
    Haven,t finished reading all yet
    but have to sign off

i,m needed elsewhere :D
    be back soon xxx
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    evening all...sorry I haven't been around, visiting in the hospital takes ages!

Dad is now home, so hopefully I will be around a bit more.....
    Forum Member
    I know that Chris evans does know about cars, which is good, but it is going to be strange to see him on Top Gear, it wont be the same at all.

We saw an amazing film, last night Kingsman. it was a bit odd, but made by the same company that made Star dust, which I loved, so it is worth a watch.

And I too would like to see Jurassic park.........it looks interesting.

dad is much better, but still not right...so its an odd kind of time....lots of unsaid things.....he is getting older and frailer!
    Forum Member
    evening all...sorry I haven't been around, visiting in the hospital takes ages!

Dad is now home, so hopefully I will be around a bit more.....

So pleased to hear this :D

Some good news
    this rainy Monday morning,

well spent the weekend running around
    did get to see some of the cricket, what a win and a good one over NZ :D

went to a barbecue on Sat night...... poured down with rain
    so she cooked everything in the oven...... best food i've had at a barbecue for ages :D
    nothing burnt or raw ..... ;-)

need to do a food shop
    so shall head of

oh and going to see Jurassic tonight..... son is treating me to evening out :D

bye for now..... take care all xxx
    Forum Member
    morning all.......

I would like to go and see Jurassic World, its on my to do list! what was it like?

I had a message from Nyannie, her computer is playing up, but she will be back soon!
    Forum Member
    I think I am starting to feel a bit more normal, the last few weeks have been so hectic...I haven't known if I am coming or going!!

just off to aqua in a minute, then try and catch up on some paperwork.....and finish tidying up the back room. We are sorting out all the old photos of when my daughters were small....there are so many of them. and now they are all on the computer, maybe I should put a few more of them in albums?
    Forum Member
    morning all.......

I would like to go and see Jurassic World, its on my to do list! what was it like?

I had a message from Nyannie, her computer is playing up, but she will be back soon!

It was fun Augusta
    made me jump, laugh, and its a little corny
    just what you want from a action, adventure film
    really enjoyed it :D

hope Nyannie makes in back soon and her computer gets sorted :D
  • Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, hope you're all ok. O/h's on holiday this week, so decorating our bedroom has been on the agenda. :)

Good to hear your Dad is home augusta. Isn't it strange how you suddenly notice someone is older and frailer, I was exactly the same with my Dad.

We have two large boxes of photos which my sister is gamely working her way through, putting them in some kind of order. We need to scan some before they deteriorate as some of them belonged to our grandparents.

How's the neck georgy, any better? I hope so.

My son took his partner, her kids and their boy/girl friends up to Crawley's 3d cinema to see Jurassic World, they all thoroughly enjoyed it too. :D. Mind you he was :o when he discovered how much the tickets were. :blush:

Hurry back nyannie, these computers are great all the time they work. The words 'Windows updates' always send a chill down the spine here. :o

It's funeral day tomorrow, I'll be glad when it's over to be honest. :( Have to be up early as we have to travel.

Just watching the news, I find the scenes at Calais both sad and shocking. The situation in the Med is just as bad. I'm not sure what the answer is, and it seems leaders of Europe don't either. :(
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, hope you're all ok. O/h's on holiday this week, so decorating our bedroom has been on the agenda.

Good to hear your Dad is home augusta. Isn't it strange how you suddenly notice someone is older and frailer, I was exactly the same with my Dad.

We have two large boxes of photos which my sister is gamely working her way through, putting them in some kind of order. We need to scan some before they deteriorate as some of them belonged to our grandparents.

How's the neck georgy, any better? I hope so.

My son took his partner, her kids and their boy/girl friends up to Crawley's 3d cinema to see Jurassic World, they all thoroughly enjoyed it too Mind you he was :o when he discovered how much the tickets were. :blush:

Hurry back nyannie, these computers are great all the time they work. The words 'Windows updates' always send a chill down the spine here.

It's funeral day tomorrow, I'll be glad when it's over to be honest. Have to be up early as we have to travel.

Just watching the news, I find the scenes at Calais both sad and shocking. The situation in the Med is just as bad. I'm not sure what the answer is, and it seems leaders of Europe don't either. :(

Morning Lena

Neck not so sore, but the shoulder keeps locking up :(
    not sure what to do about it really.... rest i suppose.....but i need to find the time to do that :blush:

good old Crawley..... not been there for years........ well since we moved on from Horley :D
    but it was a good film ........ enjoyed it :D

Shame about the funeral, not something you ever want to see booked into your week,
    hope it went well, such a young man, so very sad :(

Have to agree about the scenes in calais, shameful, but no one seems to have the answer.

Well i better get on, no rest for the wicked
    and as you all know, i have a little wicked in me :D
    Forum Member
    evening all.

Ditto to what on earth is going on in Calais, and even what is going on in northern Africa and the middle east to create all these refugees? Its a very scary situation.

Still haven't seen Jurassic world, hopefully we will get to see it tomorrow.

I love this time of year, with all the flowers coming out in the garden, we have loads of paeonies and roses at the moment,

and I too hope nyannie gets her computer programmes fixed
    Forum Member
    morning all

I liked Jurassic world, a fun kind of film...

how is BB getting on?
    Forum Member
    Morning all

what a lovely sunny morning

The news out of Tunisia has been truly heartbreaking
    just enjoying their holidays
    those poor families :(

the worlds gone mad >:(

no Nyannie still if you can read this
    miss you :(

have a good day all :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone hope you're all well and enjoying the lovely weather, summer is finally here, yay!! :D

I agree with you georgy, the world has gone mad. So sad for everyone.

Nyannie says hello and hopes to be back very soon.
    She's having nothing short of an electrical and technical disaster at the moment.

A Windows update came with a virus attached to it :o and now Microsoft in the US is on the case trying to fix the problem along with her o/h.

Also their aerial was struck by lightning :o but her clever hubby has managed to fix the tv :) and now the air conditioning has died :(

At least she has Hampton Court Flower Show to look forward to and their break away in Cambridge next week. :)

Enjoying Wimbledon despite every match I caught a bit of seemed to come with a helping of Andrew Castle :( ....have they cloned him???

And there seems to be a rash of Clare Balding, is she presenting EVERY sport on the BBC these days. :confused:

I used to enjoy Today at Wimbledon, later in the evening, presenter tucked safely behind a desk along with a guest, showing nice big highlights of matches and an interview or two.

Now we have early evening, an over enthusiastic Clare Balding, three people standing untidely round a podium (have they cut back on chairs??) tiny little bits of matches, lots of chit chat and I still don't know the bl**dy final score of the Leyton Hewitt match. :confused:

Sometimes I feel very old. :blush:
    Forum Member
    evening all.......I know what you mean about sports coverage, sometimes less is definitely more....

poor nyannie, doesn't sound like too much fun does it.

so now we are going to be getting a heatwave, it sounds bad if they are already issuing warnings, but it feels pretty hot here today, and its 4 pm when normally things start to cool down. luckily we do have some rooms that are cool , but its hardest in the bedrooms at night, heat rises doesn't it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evening all.......I know what you mean about sports coverage, sometimes less is definitely more....

poor nyannie, doesn't sound like too much fun does it.

so now we are going to be getting a heatwave, it sounds bad if they are already issuing warnings, but it feels pretty hot here today, and its 4 pm when normally things start to cool down. luckily we do have some rooms that are cool , but its hardest in the bedrooms at night, heat rises doesn't it

Good morning, weather was glorious but now it's overcast and nothing to write home about. :( So today is supposed to be the hottest day (it was a lot warmer yesterday down here) very gentle sea breeze, but my poor sister who is not a fan of this heat and lives on outskirts of London is already melting bless her.

We're supposed to be going up on Friday, o/h meeting a brother for lunch while I go visit little sis for hair cut and lunch. Then Ikea on way back. :D

Know what you mean about heat in the house. Our bedrooms are at the front so has sun from about 2 - 7pm when it dips behind the Downs. The windows are huge, eight foot windows in a ten foot wall generate an enormous amount of heat. We've tried all the options . . . windows, blinds and curtains closed, windows and blinds open curtains closed, and everything open..... result......still stifling. :o

After I moaned about the new Wimbledon 2day, I went and looked at tv forums.....guess I'm not the only one.

It's been absolutely panned on forums, twitter and in the press. :D
    It really is utterly dire. Ironically, the W1A comedy series actually predicted they'd revamp and dumb down Wimbledon......priceless. :p

Last night they managed to find some stools to sit on (I gave it five minutes), guess standing and waffling rubbish at the same time for an hour is tiring work. ;-)

Bring back John Inverdale on the roof and give us proper highlights!
    What would dear old Dan Maskell make of it all......"Oh I say." :D
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone hope you're all well and enjoying the lovely weather, summer is finally here, yay!!

I agree with you georgy, the world has gone mad. So sad for everyone.

Nyannie says hello and hopes to be back very soon.
    She's having nothing short of an electrical and technical disaster at the moment.

A Windows update came with a virus attached to it :o and now Microsoft in the US is on the case trying to fix the problem along with her o/h.

Also their aerial was struck by lightning :o but her clever hubby has managed to fix the tv :) and now the air conditioning has died

At least she has Hampton Court Flower Show to look forward to and their break away in Cambridge next week.

Enjoying Wimbledon despite every match I caught a bit of seemed to come with a helping of Andrew Castle ....have they cloned him???

And there seems to be a rash of Clare Balding, is she presenting EVERY sport on the BBC these days. :confused:

I used to enjoy Today at Wimbledon, later in the evening, presenter tucked safely behind a desk along with a guest, showing nice big highlights of matches and an interview or two.

Now we have early evening, an over enthusiastic Clare Balding, three people standing untidely round a podium (have they cut back on chairs??) tiny little bits of matches, lots of chit chat and I still don't know the bl**dy final score of the Leyton Hewitt match. :confused:

Sometimes I feel very old. :blush:

Poor Nyannie with all her electrical probs
    a lightening strike plays havoc ....... we lost so many systems when we had one...... even the phones flew of the wall :o

and now she has a computer virus...... miss her so :(

i hope she has a great time at Hampton.... caught some of the gardens on tv.... it looks
    good this year

as for Andrew Castle ........ Yuck Yuck Yuck ....... can stand him
    not liking Claire Balding..... should stick with what she knows ..... racing ;-)

the weather is glorious ....... and i,m making the most of it :D

hope all are well xxx
    Forum Member
    still hot hot hot, we almost have a thunderstorm pending, met some gorgeous puppies last night at my friends, beautiful, but I cant have another dog now , until I retire, my working is too erratic.......

So this thread is slowly disappearing...:-(

I wonder if nyannie will be back? these computer systems are hard to update easily, I tried to do an online course thing, lasting a couple of hours at most, but it wont load onto my system because of something else.....

its kind of 2 steps forwards one step back.

same as things like Wimbledon, for the first time in years....we have a decent British contender with a chance of winning and yet the TV coverage is odd!!!

chat soon

luv m xx
    Forum Member
    Morning all
    Hope everyone had a lovely weekend

puppies Augusta ........ i would love a dog....... but a bit like you M it would be hard at the mo :(

wimbledon has been exciting ...... some good matches And Heather Watson..... so nearly

Murray is facing a giant today...... not going to be easy

and on Wed....... my favourite starts the Ashes....... cricket......... lovely :D

need to do a food shop today
    miss Nyannie lots, hope she makes it back would hate to lose touch :(

have a good one all xxx :D