Options

Turning 's' in to 'sh' in words - why?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Talizman wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that some people pronounce words like 'student' and 'studio' as "shtudent" and "shtudio" etc? 'Assume' becomes "ashume", 'restaurant' turns in to "reshtaurant"....anybody have any idea why they do this?
    Possibly because they weren't taught to speak English correctly in the first place.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Possibly because they weren't taught to speak English correctly in the first place.

That seems unlikely.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nottingham was originally Snottingham, the Anglo Saxon name, but when the Normans arrived they couldn't pronounce the Sn sound so dropped the S, strangley though one of the areas in Nottingham is Sneinton, [Snen was Snots brother] but they kept that name. The French still seem to have a problem with S sound, where they change the S for E, as in Ecole for school, Etudie for study, Etranger for Stranger, and such like words.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Nottingham was originally Snottingham, the Anglo Saxon name, but when the Normans arrived they couldn't pronounce the Sn sound so dropped the S, strangley though one of the areas in Nottingham is Sneinton, [Snen was Snots brother] but they kept that name. The French still seem to have a problem with S sound, where they change the S for E, as in Ecole for school, Etudie for study, Etranger for Stranger, and such like words.

Yes, in Old French ecole was escole, etranger was estranger. For some reason they dropped the S in words beginning Es.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'ashume' is my most hated, I have no idea why people do this
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    Yesh, I am from the South Easht, I have notished it a fair bit myshelf.

PMSHL hahahahahha:D
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's more likely that if they're schoolkids they're deliberately coarsening their accent to fit in with their peer group.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I think it's more likely that if they're schoolkids they're deliberately coarsening their accent to fit in with their peer group.

Not really anything to do with accent.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

I think there is sometimes an element of this, a particularly sibliant 's' sound in 'st' for example is often regarded as a somewhat camp affectation.

Something similar often happened in French classes when I was at school - the 'hard' kids would often actively resist correct pronunciation, or suffer the mockery of their mates.
  • Options
    colin_ansoncolin_anson Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im surprised that nobody has mentioned the word 'asked' that gets replaced with the word 'axed'. i often hear it on the tv and cant understand why its there or how it adds to a sentence.

it must be a younger generational text speak or something like the sh sound thats been coming from up south :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    im surprised that nobody has mentioned the word 'asked' that gets replaced with the word 'axed'. i often hear it on the tv and cant understand why its there or how it adds to a sentence.

it must be a younger generational text speak or something like the sh sound thats been coming from up south :confused:

Are you serious? This has been raised countless times on these boards. It has nothing to do with the younger generation, "ax" has been a dialect variant of "ask" since Chaucer's time!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Are you serious? This has been raised countless times on these boards. It has nothing to do with the younger generation, "ax" has been a dialect variant of "ask" since Chaucer's time!

But is mainly used by Afro Caribbeans.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    But is mainly used by Afro Caribbeans.

And in recent times by young, urban dwelling white people who like rap music that are copying it to sound cool.