The Hundred-Foot Journey

Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was compelled to watch a trailer for this film on Nectar Adpoints, but knew instantly this film would be fantastic to go see when it arrived. Fast forward a few months and Oh what a lucky find without the trailer I wouldn't have gone to see this at all, but it was an absolute beautiful and fantastic film. In fact its the second best movie I've seen all year. In fact several years.

Not a great deal of action or suspense, predictable in many places, but at the same time none of that actually matters because that's not the point of the film. Instead it's a truly heart-warming and perfect story told in a creative and entertaining way.

Trailer (Youtube)

Comments

• dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Knuxs7 wrote: »
    I was compelled to watch a trailer for this film on Nectar Adpoints, but knew instantly this film would be fantastic to go see when it arrived. Fast forward a few months and Oh what a lucky find without the trailer I wouldn't have gone to see this at all, but it was an absolute beautiful and fantastic film. In fact its the second best movie I've seen all year. In fact several years.

Not a great deal of action or suspense, predictable in many places, but at the same time none of that actually matters because that's not the point of the film. Instead it's a truly heart-warming and perfect story told in a creative and entertaining way.

Trailer (Youtube)

I watched this last night and highly recommend it. It's about in indian family headed by a brilliant Om Puri, who opens up an indian resteraunt opposite Helen Mirrens Michelin starred haute cuisine french resteraunt in a French village.

It's a great culture clash comedy, somewhat whimsical but very funny. It's a bit manipulative however in that it's designed to get the tears flowing as it reaches a conclusion.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this a few weeks ago. I like the first half, but it's somewhat disjointed - as if it realised it still had more time left to burn - during the last half.

It doesn't show enough food to be a food film, not enough romance to be a romantic film, too many underdeveloped characters to be a family drama, not enough focus on a certain character to make it a coming-of-age film and so on. A colleague's however defended it as a 'decent balance of vignettes in a span of five years'. Fair enough.

It does offer a few humorous moments and a lovely cast, especially Manish 'So easy on the eye' Dayal as a gifted chef, Helen Mirren as a French restaurant owner, Om Puri as an Indian restaurant owner and Charlotte 'Also easy on the eye' Le Bon (no relation to Simon Le Bon) as a sous chef. In spite of the great cast and all, I found it rather forgettable, but I think those who enjoyed The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and A Year in Provence will probably enjoy this one.

I didn't pay attention to who made this film when we started watching the film, so the ending credits came as a surprise:

Director: Lasse Hallstrom (What's Eating Gilbert Grape, My Life as a Dog)
    Writer: Steven Knight (Dirty Pretty Things, Eastern Promises, Locke, Peaky Blinders),
    Composer: A.R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours, Lord of War)
    Editor: Andrew Mondshein (The Sixth Sense)
    Producers: Steven Spielberg, Juliet Blake (TV producer; Farscape and many factual series) and Oprah Winfrey.

Such a starred yet weird line-up. Pretty much like the film, actually. :D
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Was surprised by how much I enjoyed this and I think that was mainly down to the characters but both the narrative & locations played a part in that as well.

I will say that it wasn't as hunger inducing as I expected it to be, even though some of the dishes put together towards the end of the movie were very creative they just didn't have my tummy rumbling nearly as much as last year's 'Jadoo'.

Overall it's a very decent & relatively uplifting drama that did just enough to get an 8/10 from me...