Back really aching after waking up

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have no idea what position I slept in but I woke up today with a killer backache, every movement makes me wince, and my right leg feels a bit twisted. I have taken pain killers and they have helped, but I just wondered if the same has happened to anyone else ? You go to bed fine and wake up with backache that you feel in every movement ? I am a bit worried about going to sleep tonight.

If this happened to anyone else did it pass within the day ? I know everyone is different but I only laid in bed so I can't have done anything too stressful to my back.

Comments

• Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I go through phases whereby every day for 2 weeks or so i wake up with a very bad back. It usually eases after a few hours but for a start i cant bend down and even laying flat hurts. Then for a few days/weeks i wake up fine and forget all about it. Then the cycle continues but i cant pin point anything that would cause the pain and i dont do anything different when i dont get the pain.

We tried flipping the mattress but that made no difference at all.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get that if any draught has got near my back during the night. It was even happening in the really warm weather a few days ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get this when I have slept with the quilt/blanket etc under my leg/knee/ankle, it puts your back and hip out of line. If it is ok tomorrow it is probably this.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I have days where I wake up and i've been sleeping on my back and when I move it feels like i've been punched in the kidneys.

It takes 10 minutes or so for it to calm.
  • chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I do find this happens to me quite often if I sleep in an unfamiliar bed (e.g. often when we go on holiday). It can also be a result of leg muscle stiffness for me. My leg muscles and hamstrings can get quite tight and sometimes that seems to set off lower back stiffness. For me, I found that sit ups and also just pulling in the stomach muscles to strengthen the core muscles and improve posture have helped a lot. Any kind of stretching is good and I also find the spiky ball massage things are quite good to relieve lower back spasm.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please please be careful with your back.
    I have had back pain on and off for 11 years usually managed by osteopath, physio and meds from my GP ranging from Co codomol, Diazepam, codiene and injections in the bum!
    I never have a clue what sets it off.

In June I woke up in agony, tottered to the shower thinking the warmth might help. It didn't, I knew from experience that sitting down within 20 minutes or so of getting up made things worse so I went back to bed and rang the NHS physio line.

I told them of my pain down my legs , buttock and lower back and was told there was a ten week wait for apts so they would email me some exercises.

I am a member of Benenden so rang them who got me into physio within 2 days. I had four sessions but two weeks ago woke up and didn't know what to do to with myself. I had continued all this time to go to work but no way could I go that day. I got an emergency apt at the Drs that morning. hubby drove me there by the time I got out the car I was in such a state I couldn't even say my name. My GP was fantastic . He did some tests around my privates and rang and ambulance on blue light. He explained he thought my spine was compromised which could lead me to lack of control of bladder and bowel.

I was kept in hospital and had a Discectomy.. I was back at my GPs today to get the clips out and he explained again why he sent me in on a blue light and that any sign of lack of feeling " down below" and I had to go straight back.

So, if you have unexplained back pain that doesn't clear up in a few days please get it checked out.

What happened to me was a total suprise, I thought I would get a muscle relaxant jab in the bum and all would be sorted........how wrong was I?
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get this with my left shoulder. I have no idea why but some mornings it is just so sore.

I hope your back is better now.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I have days where I wake up and i've been sleeping on my back and when I move it feels like i've been punched in the kidneys.

It takes 10 minutes or so for it to calm.

Me too. Only happens when I sleep on my back and it does not happen all the time. A couple of weeks at a time, then a break, then pain again. Weird.
  • mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once twisted my ankle really badly in my sleep. Somehow got the quilt wrapped round it and when I turned over I left my foot behind. Couldn't walk on it for a couple of days. My caring considerate friends found it absolutely hilarious!
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I slept strangely on my back a little while ago but just waited for it to pass. However it didn't get much better, and ended up getting a lot worse once I had a vomiting bug (I assume through the way my body was moving in an erratic fashion when I was being sick). I ended up in so much pain even just from sitting on the bus and going over a bump, so I ended up seeing an osteopath. He said I'd hurt my trapezius, which is quite common, and that it would take up to 8 weeks to feel better and just gave me some exercises to do.

So I imagine it may be something like this. I wouldn't worry too much unless it persists/gets worse.

I did once have a terrible bout of back pain and had to be off work for a few days as I couldn't even sit down - the only thing I could do was lie on the floor in a certain position. It passed though.

Might be worth putting on some deep heat to help in the meantime and then get it checked out if it doesn't get better.