how to deal with best friends boyfriend?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Me and my best friend get on really well, we met at college a couple of years ago and have become really close over the past year.
The problem is her boyfriend, i was at college with him a few years ago as well and we used to hang about as part of a big group but over the last few months he seems to have turned against me.
I went out with one of his friends for a few months and since we've split up he's treated me differently. He's always been a bit annoying (extremely vulgar and self publicising) and he called me a **** last week because i'd started talking to another bloke. I would have understood a bit better if i had dumped his pal and hurt him, but it was a mutual split and we were both happy.
Im also starting to get a bit annoyed with my friend, she reports everything i tell her back to the boyfriend. This means that he knows what we talk about on nights out, he knows if i've met a new bloke, he knows when we meet up and where.
I don't want to lose my friend but her boyfriend is unbearable and i don't know how to be friends with her whilst avoiding the boyfriend (especially now that she seems to tell him everything)

Comments

• bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Something similar to this happened to me. My old best friend when we were in 6th form got a boyfriend who we knew from high school. I was surprised initially cus he was a total nerd and we used to take the mick outta him. Anyway he ended up being really catty and suddenly took a disliking to me. I tried to ignore him and still be ok with her as she was my friend but it got to the point where we couldn't really confide in each other cus she'd tell everything back to him. Then they became one of those annoying couples who can only hang out with each other and no one else.
    When I did speak to her (earlier on) it seemed like his bitchiness had rubbed off on her and she could never be happy for me when a good opportunity came my way. She messed up her education and dropped out of college while I got my qualifications and went to uni so I think she was a bit jealous tbh.

The last straw was when her and I were supposed to meet up (after months apart) I'd travelled to meet her and she blew me off. Probably was hanging out with him. So I cut the strings - she was a lousy friend anyway (before meeting him) so I can't say I'm saddened. People like that just suck the life outta ya - I never looked back.

There's more to it as he was pretty insufferable tbh. Apologies if that was a bit of a ramble - just saying my experience of it. I just thought 'ya only have one life and it's too short to spend with people like that' ^.