Options

Which Windows Phone 8 mobile to get....

2»

Comments

• Options
    Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Right well I've been to my local EE (I'm currently with Orange). I can get the Nokia Lumia 820 on Tuesday pay £40 for the phone, the 24 month contract unlimited texts, 500 MB Data, 300 minutes £25 a month. Any good?
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Sounds great but you might want to wait for the imminent changes to Orange plans to happen first. Don't know what will be effected yet though.
  • Options
    poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    AKW wrote: »
    What Apps do you feel are missing? I have a Windows 7.5 phone and I have not noticed a shoratage of usefull Apps.

Grindr ;)
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Google music available on windows phone, was thinking of trying WP8 but if Google music is missing I will give it a miss
  • Options
    twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arenas52 wrote: »
    I have the Lumia 800 with 16g of internal storage. I've got about 8 of that left and it hasn't slowed down at all. Windows is a very fluid and quick OS. My phone never stutters or lags. I don't have any experience of WP8 but I can't imagine that would be any different as it's an upgrade from the 7.5 running on my Lumia.

Just to add that my next upgrade will be to a WP8 Nokia purely for Nokia Drive. It's worth getting just for that if you drive. I have navigated my way effortlessly round Scotland without using any data as it stores maps for use offline. Comes in handy if you drive on holiday abroad as you download the maps of the country you're going to before you leave and use it offline.

I also use my Nokia N8 to get round Scotland camping and visiting Castles, it never fails to amaze me how good it is and that it comes completely free, its one of the main reasons I stay with Nokia that and the camera. Had a shoot out at work today my N8 v my mates 920, in doors low light N8 blows it away due to the flash, only when we turned of the flashs did the 920 beat me.
  • Options
    gadgetebzgadgetebz Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Is Google music available on windows phone, was thinking of trying WP8 but if Google music is missing I will give it a miss

There are a few Google Music clients in the store , CloudMusik look pretty good...
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twogunthom wrote: »
    I also use my Nokia N8 to get round Scotland camping and visiting Castles, it never fails to amaze me how good it is and that it comes completely free, its one of the main reasons I stay with Nokia that and the camera. Had a shoot out at work today my N8 v my mates 920, in doors low light N8 blows it away due to the flash, only when we turned of the flashs did the 920 beat me.

But indoors without flash you'd be wanting everyone to be staying really, really still. And outdoors low light imaging on the 920 generates totally unrealistic images.

Its quite funny that all the work thats gone into the 920 camera and its still not as good as the now rather old N8.
  • Options
    huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    But indoors without flash you'd be wanting everyone to be staying really, really still. And outdoors low light imaging on the 920 generates totally unrealistic images.

Its quite funny that all the work thats gone into the 920 camera and its still not as good as the now rather old N8.

I think there is a patch currently being rolled out to the 920 to fix this. Something to do with inconsistent white balance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »

I know mate I'm not sure what the deal is, in doors I would never turn my flash off anyway. My shots produced better colours pin sharp and briliant detail. 920 was not sharp at all, colours and detail nowhere near as good as my N8. 2 things to consider the N8 is amazing and my mate isn't an expert with the 920 and far from it, maybe in the hands someone with a bit more savy with the phone and its optics it could be a different story.
  • Options
    Cpl_CarrottCpl_Carrott Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    after Five years come march i will be trading up my Nokia N8 :(, and i am absolutely positive i will be signing up for a new Lumia 920,

Nokia maps is by far the best Sat Nav app of ANY phone available bar none, end of!, Although the Nokia is 5 years old the sim is from my Galaxy S2 which i ditched after 12 months.

and to be honest the closer it comes to upgrade time, the more i'm almost wetting myself with anticipation!!!:D:D:D
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    after Five years come march i will be trading up my Nokia N8 :(, and i am absolutely positive i will be signing up for a new Lumia 920,

Nokia maps is by far the best Sat Nav app of ANY phone available bar none, end of!, Although the Nokia is 5 years old the sim is from my Galaxy S2 which i ditched after 12 months.

and to be honest the closer it comes to upgrade time, the more i'm almost wetting myself with anticipation!!!:D:D:D

The rumours suggest the successor to the Lumia 920 is going to have a Pureview 808 type camera so you may want to hold off for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The rumours suggest the successor to the Lumia 920 is going to have a Pureview 808 type camera so you may want to hold off for a while.

Now thats exactly what I'm wanting to hear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mate the N8 was brand new to the UK market when I got it just over 2 years ago. I think my n86 was the first time the sat nav was bundled free I had the n95 before that I had to pay a licence fee about £2.50ish that would last a week or so to use the voice enabled navigation. The n8 is definatley not 5 years old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »

OH FFS!, don't say that, I almost had kittens looking at the pureview 808 and would have loved to have gotten one if it weren't for the fact that it was Symbian based, (Still works well though!), Fell in love with the Lumia 920, But if it's successor has a pureview 808 camera i'm definitely gonna have to wait!:D:D
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many months for the new 920? Any ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha I feel your pain Cpl_Carrott, I'm wondering if its a successor to the 920 or maybe its the 808s succesor, I recall Nokia saying before the 808 release that it would also be available with windows OS
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats the frustrating thing about technology. Just when you decide which new device to get someone informs you to wait as a new version is just around the corner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    Thats the frustrating thing about technology. Just when you decide which new device to get someone informs you to wait as a new version is just around the corner.

At least with the next Xbox or PS you know you'll be stuck with it for a few years
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    How many months for the new 920? Any ideas?
    OH FFS!, don't say that, I almost had kittens looking at the pureview 808 and would have loved to have gotten one if it weren't for the fact that it was Symbian based, (Still works well though!), Fell in love with the Lumia 920, But if it's successor has a pureview 808 camera i'm definitely gonna have to wait!:D:D

The rumours do point to several new devices - a slimmer, lighter version of the 920 and some kind of 808 type phone but running windows.

The good news is that such phones should be announced at MWC next month so you don't need to wait more than a month for confirmation. If they don't announce it then, it likely won't come until the end of this year at the earliest.
  • Options
    Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Now writing this from my brand new Nokia lumia 820. Absolutely love it and windows 8 so far has been slick, easy and very enjoyable
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just remember that the N8 still has a much better camera than the 920, and that the 808 really is leagues ahead of the N8.

I get the feeling that the next generation of pureview won't have the full 808 sensor along with OIS. It'll still be a half way house, the 808 is likely to remain the king of pocketable cameras (not just mobiles) for a good time to come.

And remember that the OIS is a one trick pony. It is only of any use for video, so far it has shown absolutely zero benefit for still imaging, on which count its maybe a teeny bit better than an iPhone 4S.

No way am I giving up my 808 until something can better it ....