Is Peter Capaldi a good choice for the 12 Doctor?

Comments

• DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Very happy with the choice a great actor , a move towards an older Doctor gets my vote as well - however, whether he will be a good choice long term will depend on what scripts he gets.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!! and it's time for the show to reflect the casting. Things are gonna get dark!!! :D
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Is Peter Capaldi a good choice for the 12 Doctor?

Absolutely he is. He is an accomplished and experienced actor who has starred in very many roles. All the doctors are different and so too will Peter Capaldi's interpretation but I expect him to put in a good performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poll wont make a difference it isnt official.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Won't make a difference to what?
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it won't but it does give an overview of the forums opinion of the casting.

Yes, he'll be different but that's good, its the whole point of Regeneration.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Yes, we needed a change from the pretty boys. :D
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Yes.

Moffat should be applauded for going against the grain and fighting the trend of recent years and also not condescending to the ridiculous myth that children and young people cannot relate to older characters. Its nonsense. Of course a few silly brats are going 'Ewwwwww he so old' but theyll soon get over it when the OneD movie comes out. The general reaction is massively positive because he is a fantastic actor.

When I was a kid I wanted to be Jon Pertwee. I didn't want to be Luke Skywalker or Zach Morris from Saved by the Bell. I am sure people of all ages will fall in love with Peters doctor if he is well written. That's all that matters. Doctor Who attracted the Twilight and Harry Potter brigade...it never pandered to them. It just happened. Why should they cater for that demographic of kids on the internet who spend too much time on tumblr or any other niche group? Moffat has proven he cares more about the quality of the actor and getting the right guy rather than appeasing focus groups and shallow concerns about being able to sell the show to teenyboppers.
    Bravo Moffat.

Agreed. :)
  • GibbyBloggerGibbyBlogger Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of Capaldi's. I'm not too happy about his casting. But I'm not going to say he's the right or wrong choice 'cause I haven't seen him in the role yet. All I'm saying is, I didn't want it to be him.
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely! I'm delighted!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palmerwho wrote: »
    No it won't but it does give an overview of the forums opinion of the casting.

Yes, he'll be different but that's good, its the whole point of Regeneration.

But really who cares. I think he was a excellent choice and to me thats all that matters to myself.

Im not going to walk about on my travels to town in the weeks worrying about what some internet fans have said about casting.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Yes, he'll work well for the show.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am delighted. Peter is a wonderful actor. I can't wait to see how the show changes with him as the Doctor. :)
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But really who cares. I think he was a excellent choice and to me thats all that matters to myself.

Im not going to walk about on my travels to town in the weeks worrying about what some internet fans have said about casting.

Yeah I know and I agree, I did rage at a Tennant fan hoping for a degeneration and won't watch anymore. It's their opinion and shouldn't annoy me but I don't understand how you can be a fan and react that way without giving Peter a chance.

Just good to see the general consensus is with us tho.
  • MixstarMixstar Posts: 9,290
    Forum Member
    Well this vote was academic wasn't it? :rolleyes:
  • saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic choice. I just hope that he has some fantastic scripts too.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm more confident after this announcement than Matt's announcement that it was the right choice, as he's a well established actor and can take on different roles perfectly. I was nervous all the way through The Eleventh Hour almost analysing Matt Smith and he did impress me. I don't think I'll be quite so analytic of Peter on his first episode

I say yes it's the right announcement, it's completely different to who they've gone with before, older and a well established actor.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm...I'm kind of sitting on the fence on this one. I think he is too old, but he is an accomplished actor. Is he too old to pull in the younger viewer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well the BBC will care, perhaps not about this specific poll :) but about fan response in general. So it's good to know there's a decent level of support for the choice and it's not all 14 year olds going 'eewww'!
  • haribo_hockeyharibo_hockey Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, he doesnt appeal to me as the doctor
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - I'm so pleased he's an older actor. I remember the very first Doctor Who from my childhood and consequently I've always felt that Doctor Who should be an older man.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes - fine actor, loves the show - what more can you ask for really?
  • VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant choice. I'm really surprised and pleased.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It's a very good choice. He's a fantastic actor, and it's good to have an older Doctor this time.
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm...I'm kind of sitting on the fence on this one. I think he is too old, but he is an accomplished actor. Is he too old to pull in the younger viewer?

Sod "the younger viewer" ! The BBC doesn't always have to pander to the "Yoof" does it? He will appeal to the older viewers and to chidren too possibly (depending on the story lines). The teenagers have plenty of other things to watch if they don't like it. :cool: