Options

Has anyone taken 'Amitriptyline' for sleeping?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
DS always seems to be good for this sort of thing so thought i would ask :D

what are your experiences of them? i have been prescribed 10mg for sleeping, will they work ? (i am praying)

there seems to be alot of bad stuff on the internet about side effects :o but the doctor told me she has not heard of any adverse side effects and she prescribes it alot.

im slightly worried about that, and whether it will actually work.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. Yes I have been taking this for about 3 years at night. I take 30mg. I found sleeping tablets gave me a sort of hangover effect in the mornings. So my doctor suggested I try the amitriptyline. He explained that in larger doses it is used as an anti depressant but sadly my dose was too low to get happy 😜 but it does help with my migraines and my night time leg pains.
    I reckon your doctor who knows your medical history wouldn't have prescribed it if it didn't fit with any other meds you are on and that's probably better advice than me telling you it worked for me.
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    debidebi Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes its been around for a very long time and is a tried and tested drug that is very effective for a whole host of problems. Its always worked well for me and without it I struggle to sleep. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    justmise wrote: »
    Hi. Yes I have been taking this for about 3 years at night. I take 30mg. I found sleeping tablets gave me a sort of hangover effect in the mornings. So my doctor suggested I try the amitriptyline. He explained that in larger doses it is used as an anti depressant but sadly my dose was too low to get happy 😜 but it does help with my migraines and my night time leg pains.
    I reckon your doctor who knows your medical history wouldn't have prescribed it if it didn't fit with any other meds you are on and that's probably better advice than me telling you it worked for me.
    Best of luck.
    debi wrote: »
    Yes its been around for a very long time and is a tried and tested drug that is very effective for a whole host of problems. Its always worked well for me and without it I struggle to sleep. Hope that helps.

Yes great help thanks.

Though I wonder if I am on too much of a pitiful dose at 10mg :/
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10mg works for me. I take it for just a couple of nights only and it gets me into a sleeping pattern. I took it for longer than that earlier this year when I was waiting for test results and couldn't sleep. When I did stop taking it, I couldn't sleep at all. So there is a risk of dependency, for me anyway.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took 10mg for about 6 months to get back into a sleep 'routine' it worked for me, I don't take it anymore and still sleep well give or take the odd night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Yes great help thanks.

It usually takes a couple of weeks to get used to a new medication like that. I started on 10mg but over about 6 months my doc increased it to 30mg and I've been on that for about two and a half years. I skip it occasionally - if I've been out and had a drink or if I have to get up extra early.
    Best to try it for yourself and see what works for you.
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take this drug for pain relief (along with other pain relief) - with the added bonus that it sends me to sleep each night. It really is a good nerve pain relief medication with the side effect of drowsiness, suits me fine. Currently take 50mg each night. Been on it for several years now.
  • Options
    debidebi Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes great help thanks.

10mg is a lowish dose however it works well for a friend of mine. I am on 20mg every night although I do know people who are on higher doses. See how you go and if it doesn't seem to be helping, your doctor may decide to increase the dose. As has already been pointed out, it will take a couple of weeks for it to be effective. Good luck :)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DS always seems to be good for this sort of thing so thought i would ask :D

what are your experiences of them? i have been prescribed 10mg for sleeping, will they work ? (i am praying)

there seems to be alot of bad stuff on the internet about side effects :o but the doctor told me she has not heard of any adverse side effects and she prescribes it alot.

im slightly worried about that, and whether it will actually work.

I took Amitriptyline for neuropathy with the side effect that it also made me sleepy.

Other than the drowsiness I didn't have any side effects. I was on 10mg BTW.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was prescribed them about 20 years ago and they are brilliant for getting you off to sleep.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take 30mg a night for Fibromyalgia pain relief.
    10mg is a low dose, but trial and error will give you the dosage you need.
    I've found it excellent in relieving the muscle spasms. It took about 2 weeks to work and experimenting with dosages of 10 - 40mg, but the only side effect I've found is a dry mouth. :) Hope you find relief.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I take 10mg on a night for pain relief during the night. Basically I was waking up a lot in pain with my neck. As I was not moving much during the night, when I did move my neck would seize and I would wake in horrendous pain, since taking the Amytriptyline I barely wake up now and if I do it's pain free. It took about 2 weeks to kick in though.

Edit; I don't suffer any side effects :)
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take 10mg a night as a headache preventative, but it doesn't make me drowzy. It works wonders for my headaches though.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take 20mg a night for neuropathy and it works wonders , I find if I forget to take it ( head like a sieve ) I don't sleep only side affects I have had is a dry mouth
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my wife gets these for back pain, I've been known to take one every now and again when I can't sleep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I take 10mg a night as a headache preventative, but it doesn't make me drowzy. It works wonders for my headaches though.

After having been on 10mg a night for the last three months or so, I've slowly gained a stone in weight in that time. I'm usually one who doesn't gain weight, so to gain this much, when nothing else in my diet, excerise routine etc has changed, I can only assume it is down to this. I'm going to come off it for a month or so, and see if it makes a difference. Anyone else had weight gain issues whilst on it? It's a shame, as aside from the odd mild headache here and there, it's almost completely cut out the really bad headaches I was getting.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    shelley - my friend was taking it for back pain and to help her sleep and she put on weight when she was on it as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    shelley - my friend was taking it for back pain and to help her sleep and she put on weight when she was on it as well.

Yeah, I've done a bit of googling and came across a few people who have too. My mum is on too, and yet hasn't suffered weight gain, and she is on a higher dose. It's strange, because when I spoke to the doctor about going on it, she mentioned mood swings and periods of feeling down could be a side effect, but nothing about possible weight gain. And for me, nearly a stone is a heck of a lot of weight to put on in that relatively short space of time. I'll see how I go with my trial run off it.