Options

City v Spurs: Random numbers

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    The number is a unique number like your viewing card number.

This is designed to stop live streams of sky content over the internet mainly live football.

Most football streams are overseas e.g fox sports in USA or Australia or Euro feeds from Greece etc. These are the ones most watched by English speaking viewers because they normally have the world commentary feed.

I have never seen an illegal feed coming from a sky subscription.

Even if there was an illegal feed wouldn't someone cover up the numbers whilst streaming. I mean come on sky must realize that if there technology to stream live TV on the internet then there's technology to create a black box over the number.
  • Options
    LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dynasty wrote: »
    The number is a unique number like your viewing card number.

This is designed to stop live streams of sky content over the internet mainly live football.

Most football streams are overseas e.g fox sports in USA or Australia or Euro feeds from Greece etc. These are the ones most watched by English speaking viewers because they normally have the world commentary feed.

I have never seen an illegal feed coming from a sky subscription.

Even if there was an illegal feed wouldn't someone cover up the numbers whilst streaming. I mean come on sky must realize that if there technology to stream live TV on the internet then there's technology to create a black box over the number.

Everything you've wrote has been covered already, just press pause then play and the numbers don't show.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    becuase sky have no idea, when they find a stream on the interent, WHO is feeding the stream

The easiest way to find out, it to switch on EVERYONES numbers in the corner. The numbers are unique to your box. That way, the stream on the net, will show the numbers too, then sky know who is streaming

The numbers are simply to locate WHO is streaming

it doesn't work unless the streaming site actually uses a sky box.

in a way non sky box viewing is better. no numbers and no red button/pint glass logos, plus the ability to steam the audio and video to the streaming encoder without having use analogue capture..
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't know what would possess someone to pay for a Sky subscription, then go to all the hassle and bother of streaming it online. I get the whole geek, "open source", screw the man thing. But really, you're going to pay like £50 a month to provide the content to people who don't want to pay. Seems mental to my tiny mind.
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the point is to annoy sky. I think it probably works.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I honestly don't know what would possess someone to pay for a Sky subscription, then go to all the hassle and bother of streaming it online. I get the whole geek, "open source", screw the man thing. But really, you're going to pay like £50 a month to provide the content to people who don't want to pay. Seems mental to my tiny mind.

Some are probably just geeks but others make a lot of money from access fees, donations and advertising.

I remember a few years back someone got caught abroad and I think it was estimated they had cleared something like $50k :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    I think the point is to annoy sky. I think it probably works.

So like £600 a year (going on roughly £50 a month) to "annoy Sky". Couple with the fact you'd need a decent upstream, plus additional equipment. Seems like a sensible thing to do with your money and spare time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    Some are probably just geeks but others make a lot of money from access fees, donations and advertising.

I remember a few years back someone got caught abroad and I think it was estimated they had cleared something like $50k :eek:

Never thought about that actually. I guess if you can guarantee a good quality stream you can charge for it. Plus the donations and advertising. Seems much more likely than just to stick it to the man.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Never thought about that actually. I guess if you can guarantee a good quality stream you can charge for it. Plus the donations and advertising. Seems much more likely than just to stick it to the man.

Quite, and I fancy most of those involved are very dodgy characters indeed. It's not just theft because you would have no idea what they use the proceeds for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Everything you've wrote has been covered already, just press pause then play and the numbers don't show.

Where did i write that it hadn't been covered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FYI these unique nine numbers have been shown on Sky Sports live football broadcasts over the past couple of years. I used to think it was the contact phone number for customers to ring to upgrade to Sky HD.:(

From some research down the Pub, for Sky subscribers the nine numbers appear above the Sky Sports HD DOG and for Virgin Media subscribers the numbers appear at the bottom left of the screen.

On Sky these numbers are currently shown at random intervals, between 3 to 4 times per half and for 5 minutes at a time.
    How long does it take to read nine numbers? Surely 30 seconds is long enough.:confused:
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Anyway, if you want shot of it just pause then play and watch two-three seconds behind the live action and it doesn't appear.

The nine numbers appearing on the screen at random times during Sky Sports live football broadcasts had started to annoy me and was spoiling my enjoyment to the point that I was considering cancelling Sky altogether.
    So big thanks to PhilH36 for your workaround.

If people are clever enough to re-broadcasting / stream Sky Sport’s Live broadcasts of Premiere League and Champions League matches then they are probably cleaver enough to use the pause and play method as previously stated to remove these numbers.

Also if these matches are being shown on a HD TV then the screen settings can be adjusted to one of the Over-scan settings which pushes of the numbers far enough off the screen so they are unreadable.

Kind of makes this method more annoying for the honest Sky and Virgin Media subscribers than those pirating or re-broadcasting the signal.
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't need any technology. Just get some opaque tape and stick it over that part of your TV for a couple of hours. :D It's pretty obvious where you need to put it once the channel DOG has appeared.
    Sky have a team, who scour the usual streaming websites. When they find one that is showing a sky stream, they switch on the code. This allows the team to see who's card is supplying the stream, which kind of narrows down who is breaching the copyright. You will find that person's card will then be switched off immediatly

That is why the numbers come up randomly, they only happen when the piracy team find a stream live.
    On Sky these numbers are currently shown at random intervals, between 3 to 4 times per half and for 5 minutes at a time.
    How long does it take to read nine numbers? Surely 30 seconds is long enough.:confused:

It's not quite random ... for me at least. It appears after 10 minutes of uninterrupted live viewing during a game (I've seen it in rugby too, by the way), stays on screen for 5 minutes, re-appears after another 10 minutes have passed, and so on.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can also add that the numbers are different on both boxes if you have multiroom. So they are box/card generated and not subscription generated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Why would it appear on Virgin Media customers' screens? Surely Sky provide Virgin with a dedicated feed; they wouldn't just give them a Sky box and tell them to hook it up in their playout centre!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did i write that it hadn't been covered.

You didn't, but why would you just repeat stuff ad nauseum that's been covered a few posts up? Fairly pointless. Given you've a fairly small number of posts, maybe you don't "get" forums yet.
    CNash wrote: »
    Why would it appear on Virgin Media customers' screens? Surely Sky provide Virgin with a dedicated feed; they wouldn't just give them a Sky box and tell them to hook it up in their playout centre!

I've actually no idea how this works on Virgin but apparently it doesn't appear in the same place onscreen as with Sky so Virgin must add it themselves? Or else Sky put it on the feed they provide to Virgin. The fact it's in a different onscreen location rules out Sky just giving Virgin a box for their playout centre.
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    It's not quite random ... for me at least. It appears after 10 minutes of uninterrupted live viewing during a game (I've seen it in rugby too, by the way), stays on screen for 5 minutes, re-appears after another 10 minutes have passed, and so on.

I've never actually kept track of when it appears but your observations would suggest that it isn't "turned on" when the team Sky employee come across a dodgy feed, as was suggested in this thread.