Options

Weight Loss Thread - 2014 Edition

Comments

• Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    KnifeEdge wrote: »
    I have lost between 7.5 and 8 stone on an Atkins type diet. I would like to lose another 6-7lbs, and then the hard work of maintaining begins. So a new thread will help me keep on track. :)

As someone who is in maintenance mode, I don't think it's that hard. The tricky bit is that it lasts forever, so it's not something that you can just put up with for a while as there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

My eating habits are now permanently different from before, in small details. No sugary drinks all the time, and fewer snacks such as packets of crisps. But, I'm happy with what I'm eating now, it's not a matter of bearing it. As I get more used to what I'm doing and it becomes habit, it gets very much easier.

Just got to remember to weigh myself regularly so that I don't risk drifting away from maintenance and start gaining weight again.
  • Options
    lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    A little bit of what you fancy does you good each day

If you like drinking sugary juice then limit it to one can per day. Or even better switch to diluting juice.

Avoid too many carbs after main meal each night.

Drink water in between main meals. Most of the time people mistake thirst for hunger.

Try and eat fresh food and avoid processed foods as much as possible.

Everything in moderation is the key
    I wish there was a thumbs up emoticon available! :)
  • Options
    KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    As someone who is in maintenance mode, I don't think it's that hard. The tricky bit is that it lasts forever, so it's not something that you can just put up with for a while as there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

My eating habits are now permanently different from before, in small details. No sugary drinks all the time, and fewer snacks such as packets of crisps. But, I'm happy with what I'm eating now, it's not a matter of bearing it. As I get more used to what I'm doing and it becomes habit, it gets very much easier.

Just got to remember to weigh myself regularly so that I don't risk drifting away from maintenance and start gaining weight again.

I have cut out all carbs, except fruit n veg,(and the occasional alcohol!)
    I used to 'comfort' eat crisps, sweets and biscuits in great excess (thats how I got to 20stone!)
    I do not miss them AT ALL. My thinking has changed totally, I am not tempted in the least by any of the foods that I used to crave.
    I do not feel deprived or that I am missing out, and can easily contemplate never eating chocolate or crisps in my life again.

In fact my appetite has shrunk very considerably, and I have to be mindful to actually eat. So I just need to get into a healthy and sustainable routine, that will nourish me, while I get on with other life changes, that I can concentrate on, now that my focus is no longer on my next 'fix' of comfort food!

Best wishes to everyone starting on a healthy eating plan in 2014.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yesterday i just put 2 lb and 1 ounce on...But working in morning and will try to get some more walking done :D i didn't do too bad xmas day :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I need to lose about 5 stone by Friday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I need to lose about 5 stone by Friday.

Why ? :confused:
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I signed up last year and am ashamed to say I've actually gained over half a stone.

My baby was just shy of 7 week old last year, he is now a whopping 13.5 month old toddler so it's no longer baby weight.

I am fat.

I will weigh myself on 2nd January (weigh-in day will be a Thursday from then on)

My target is 9st - so I'd say that is about 2st to lose [maybe more :o:o:o]. Ideally I'd be looking at losing it within 6 months @ the rate of 1lb per week. That's aprox 26 weeks to lose about 30lbs!

I will be more successful this time round.

I am back to work in January after almost 15 months on maternity leave and I determined to overhaul my life.

I lost 3st in 2006 so I know I can do it, I am also a reformed smoker so I know I have willpower.

I am most successful if I stick to 1200 cals a day and portion control carbs.

I have issues with my foot so exercise is going to play a very small part... Also with going back to work full time I am not going to have any spare time for gym / swimming so I need to focus on making good choices and cleansing myself of the crap I currently eat.

My issue is I am a complete card fiend for example I can happily have a pasta meal with garlic bread too. Two carbs in one meal is b-a-d! I also serve big portions...

Sadly I've developed a mega sweet tooth so I need to knock that bad habit on the head.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having lost quite a bit last year using low carb no sugar I will continue as I said earlier in the thread but these intermittent fasting diets seem from the friends I have who have used them to not give you any more calories a week than I have counting my calories daily. The days you fast you save up the calories to eat on the normal eating days and by the end of the week have pretty much eaten the same as someone on 1000 or 1200 calories a day diet. The totals add up to the same 7000ish calories for the week.

So seems to me they are using a bit of smoke and mirrors making you think you are not eating a low calorie diet.
  • Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I signed up last year and am ashamed to say I've actually gained over half a stone.

My baby was just shy of 7 week old last year, he is now a whopping 13.5 month old toddler so it's no longer baby weight.

I am fat.

I will weigh myself on 2nd January (weigh-in day will be a Thursday from then on)

My target is 9st - so I'd say that is about 2st to lose [maybe more :o:o:o]. Ideally I'd be looking at losing it within 6 months @ the rate of 1lb per week. That's aprox 26 weeks to lose about 30lbs!

I will be more successful this time round.

I am back to work in January after almost 15 months on maternity leave and I determined to overhaul my life.

I lost 3st in 2006 so I know I can do it, I am also a reformed smoker so I know I have willpower.

I am most successful if I stick to 1200 cals a day and portion control carbs.

I have issues with my foot so exercise is going to play a very small part... Also with going back to work full time I am not going to have any spare time for gym / swimming so I need to focus on making good choices and cleansing myself of the crap I currently eat.

My issue is I am a complete card fiend for example I can happily have a pasta meal with garlic bread too. Two carbs in one meal is b-a-d! I also serve big portions...

Sadly I've developed a mega sweet tooth so I need to knock that bad habit on the head.

You can do it, you just need to stay committed and don't let temptation creep in. Once you are eating healthy and the weight starts falling off, you will feel so much better about yourself and hopefully you will not want to eat junk.

Try eating foods such as:

- Advocado salad with chicken breast/s
    - wholemeal bread, or at least 50/50.
    - Yogurts (zero fat). Muller usually do tasty ones in round rubs.
    - mixed fruit
    - vegetables, especially broccoli.
    - cous cous
    - chickpeas
    - brown rice
    - tuna steaks
    - beef
    - turkey
    - extra virgin olive oil
    - peanut butter (in moderation). Try get the 100% natural pb.
    - egg white omelettes/boiled eggs
    - muesli
    - almond milk or semi skimmed milk (no full fat)
    - tinned tuna
    - sweet potato. Tastes great baked with some tuna n sweetcorn mayo.
    - weetabix

Also, make sure to stick to drinking at least 2l of water per day, preferably with every meal.
  • Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Having lost quite a bit last year using low carb no sugar I will continue as I said earlier in the thread but these intermittent fasting diets seem from the friends I have who have used them to not give you any more calories a week than I have counting my calories daily. The days you fast you save up the calories to eat on the normal eating days and by the end of the week have pretty much eaten the same as someone on 1000 or 1200 calories a day diet. The totals add up to the same 7000ish calories for the week.

So seems to me they are using a bit of smoke and mirrors making you think you are not eating a low calorie diet.

It all depends if you're exercising as well. If you are exercising everyday for at least 60-90 mins, you'll also be burning calories through exercise as well as intermittent fasting. I believe this is the main reason why so many people who exercise and fast lose weight so quickly. They are burning the candle at both ends.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I'm about 17st 1 lb and want to get down to 15st.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very possible axtol, slow and steady couple of pounds a week you will get there quicker than you think.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just weighed myself, though not starting till next week.

Last time I weighed myself I was about 10 stone.

having just weighed myself I'm 13 stone 9 :(

Will be walking most days - 5 miles target and healthy eating.

Want to lose 3 stone by the summer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    Just weighed myself, though not starting till next week.

Last time I weighed myself I was about 10 stone.

having just weighed myself I'm 13 stone 9 :(

Will be walking most days - 5 miles target and healthy eating.

Want to lose 3 stone by the summer!

aww you will get there :)

Started my diet etc in June , normal weight now, but still want to lose few more lbs

Good luck, and to everyone else :)

Just done some zumba and i hope to be walking tomorrow too, if the rain holds off

I done well this xmas, and hope everyone gets to their goal.Its great buying new clothes sizes down :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I would love to join in!!!

I did join the tread last year but have had a pretty crappy 2013... Started the spring with a break up and spent 2 months sleeping in my brothers room back at the parents. Finally got sorted and was counting calories and hitting the gym but that lasted 6 weeks and I ended up ill and in hospital. Still not sure what is actually wrong with me so gym is out. At the start of December I joined Weight Watchers. In 2013 I have lost 1st 6lbs... 8lbs the last 3 weeks from WW.

Hoping to continue with WW this coming year. I started at 12st 10lbs and now 11st 4lbs... Looking to get down to about 8st 7lbs so still a way to go!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boobyloo wrote: »
    I would love to join in!!!

I did join the tread last year but have had a pretty crappy 2013... Started the spring with a break up and spent 2 months sleeping in my brothers room back at the parents. Finally got sorted and was counting calories and hitting the gym but that lasted 6 weeks and I ended up ill and in hospital. Still not sure what is actually wrong with me so gym is out. At the start of December I joined Weight Watchers. In 2013 I have lost 1st 6lbs... 8lbs the last 3 weeks from WW.

Hoping to continue with WW this coming year. I started at 12st 10lbs and now 11st 4lbs... Looking to get down to about 8st 7lbs so still a way to go!!!

Wow - you've donr great so far!
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I have just downloaded the 7 minute work out app, and as of today/tonight I am going to try to eat healthily.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    Wow - you've donr great so far!

Thanks. Just a bit dissapointed that it took 4 months for me to get back in the frame of mind for weight loss!!!

Really liking WW so far... just doing it online as the meetings don't fit in with work. I've not been hungry or craving anything which helps.

I turn 30 in May and it would be nice to be slim for that!!!

Good luck to everyone!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just weighed myself with a bit of trepidation but I have only put on 2lb over Christmas I really though it would be a lot more. So that gives me the incentive to get back on it.

So starting today why wait for 1st I thought, no sugar and low carb.

Stupid thing is I am not even sure I enjoyed the sugar over Christmas most things just tasted too sweet and sickly - so why did I eat it :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boobyloo wrote: »
    Thanks. Just a bit dissapointed that it took 4 months for me to get back in the frame of mind for weight loss!!!

Really liking WW so far... just doing it online as the meetings don't fit in with work. I've not been hungry or craving anything which helps.

I turn 30 in May and it would be nice to be slim for that!!!

Good luck to everyone!!!
    aww good luck :)
    molliepops wrote: »
    Just weighed myself with a bit of trepidation but I have only put on 2lb over Christmas I really though it would be a lot more. So that gives me the incentive to get back on it.

So starting today why wait for 1st I thought, no sugar and low carb.

Stupid thing is I am not even sure I enjoyed the sugar over Christmas most things just tasted too sweet and sickly - so why did I eat it :confused:
    bit in bold me too...I walked home from work this morning, 4 miles..was well windy and now im lighter i got blown all over the place lol..that wind was real strong this morning :D i couldn't walk first thing for the bus as it was wet and windy, so i walked home :p

Lets get these ounces shifted :D
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    I have just downloaded the 7 minute work out app, and as of today/tonight I am going to try to eat healthily.

I may have to give this a go!

Surely even I can spare 7 minutes ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I may have to give this a go!

Surely even I can spare 7 minutes ;-)

how you done it yet ?

I do some zumba for about half an hour sometimes its an hour..i get hot :D

hope you lose what you wanna lose. a new year and a new start :)

on the scales again in the morning and i hope i have shifted some more ounces, will report back when i back on tomorrow..Walked loads today and watched what i ate..Chocolate in the house is a bit temping though so i try to hide it lol
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure yet if I want to lose any actual weight, but I do want to increase my fitness and lose a couple of inches from my waist (due to health risks), so that will be my focus.
    Have already got back on to my normal 'healthy eating' plan, after having quite a few 'treats' over the last couple of days.
    It was interesting to find out that my food tastes have changed quite a bit over the last year.I no longer like sour cream dip or beige 'party' food. I just found them bland and greasy.
    Unfortunately I haven't lost the taste for cadburys dairy milk yet, so will have to keep on using my will power to resist them !
    Best of luck everyone !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm back to what i was before Christmas eve.( 9st.8.4 ) was this much on the 23rd Dec, and its going down again :p ( i put 2 lb on xmas day :o)

I think the .4 are the ounces so i am now counting them down haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to get a note pad on Monday and I will record everything I eat and the miles I have walked.

I've got an old weight watchers chart and I'll aim to walk 5 miles a day. - got my pedometer ordered, I had the same one before and found it accurate.

I know once I get in routine and can see weekly weighloss that it'll become easier, it's just the getting started. The horrible weather doesn't help, but I'm still going to go out on all but the worst days.

Someone told me that if you do the same thing enough times, it becomes a habit! I just need to get to that place.

I'd like to lose a steady 3 ibs a week.Lose 3 stone by April.

It's depressing being the weight I am.

5 ft 7inches and 13 stone 9ibs. :(