No girlfriend, no friends, no social life, depressed

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
I'm self employed so don't have any work mates either. The only person I talk to regularly is my Mum.

I'm feeling depressed

Comments

• chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    The only way to make friends is to get yourself out there and meet new people. Is there anything you like doing in your leisure time? Join a reading group, writers circle, walking group, running club, for example, or just go to the local pub and see if anyone's up for a game of darts or pool.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm self employed so don't have any work mates either. The only person I talk to regularly is my Mum.

I'm feeling depressed

Oh...
    This is a surprise, you come over upbeat on here.

You have to get yourself out and about, do not sit there waiting for people to come to you.
    Frankie has given you some tips.
    There is so much out there but YOU have to make the first move to seek it out.

My main advice would be to get off the internet and go outside.
    Walk even if alone, it beats sitting around dwelling on stuff and you get the exercise as well.
    I hope you are just fed up and not depressed properly.
    All the best.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a dog? I found dog walking to be really good at meeting people and getting out and off the internet.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could another saturday job in a shop or something. How old are you?
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Do you have a dog? I found dog walking to be really good at meeting people and getting out and off the internet.

I met my boyfriend out walking my dog, his dog and my dog got rather over-friendly. :D It certainly broke the ice and the next time I saw him, we walked up the river to the pub for a pint, and that's how it all began.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't put too much stock in being in a relationship as it'll just get you down even more. It'll also likely not work out too well as you'll find you'll use your partner as a crutch for your other problems. It's not the be-all and end-all of life as it is. You need to concentrate on the little things first.

As Frankie has rightly said, any social groups that involve things your interested in. If you've got like minded people around you for a specific reason, you'll always have something to talk about and you can go from there.

It's certainly a case of easier said than done though, but that's why you need to take it bit by bit and try and build up your confidence over time and the rest of it should follow.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met my boyfriend out walking my dog, his dog and my dog got rather over-friendly. :D It certainly broke the ice and the next time I saw him, we walked up the river to the pub for a pint, and that's how it all began.

My ex-husband met his second wife while walking his dogs!........... they didn't last (unfortunately) !.... but he now has another woman after him that he met!... while walking his dogs!............:D:D................ He says he is 'definately not marrying this one'... but we have yet to see!.... she seems to be pretty determined and hanging in there!......:D:D
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I quite like the dog walking idea but not sure I can be bothered getting a dog
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe the can't be bothered is the root of your problems.

Have a look in the mirror, see what you see and fix it
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Put a add in the shop window asking if anyone needs a dog walker. My daughter pays £10 a hour for hers.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe offer to walk a relative's
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm feeling depressed

What happened to your girlfriend? :confused:
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a dog. A companion for you, it won't answer back, and will be a faithful friend. And you know you might meet someone when you take it for walkies.

Pets are good at alleviating depression.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound like my grandfather.
    Join a club, society, gym. You could even go to church (:eek:).
    Whatever you chose, make sure it is activity driven and that you like the activity.
  • CalamCalam Posts: 386
    Forum Member

Everyone's in the same boat and it's just a really good fun way to meet new people whilst learning something new or persuing a hobby.
    Your local library will often also have groups or classes which is another good way of meeting local people.

I'm afraid it's all totally down to you though - you have to put the effort in and get off your bum. It won't come to you. But it's so worthwhile and really you can change your life very quickly by just biting the bullet and doing something a little bit out of your comfort zone.
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Join an internet dating site. However, nobody is going to want to meet you if you sound as dull and as miserable as you currently sound. So you must sell yourself, say how successful you are and how much you love animals and children.

Go and get your haircut and get your mother to take some good clear photos of you in a few manly poses - like hands on hips and with your head held high.

Your have no shortage of dates. If not write to single mothers or the less attractive women so you can use them to build up your conversational and social skills
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op are you me? :D
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £5 and you don't have to feed it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Plush-Dalmation-On-Lead/dp/B003IJULMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414803996&sr=8-1&keywords=Invisible+dog+lead
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

Handy for dogging too. The OP's mum wouldn't suspect a thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    Op are you me? :D

Look at the OPs other threads, he posts some shite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    hello peeps
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Volunteer for an animal charity. I go walking rescued greyhounds, I can't have one myself, but it's doing good for the dogs and getting me out into the fresh air with a small group of lovely people :)
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    So many people nowadays confuse 'depressed' with 'a bit fed up'.
  • Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenton wrote: »
    Join an internet dating site. However, nobody is going to want to meet you if you sound as dull and as miserable as you currently sound. So you must sell yourself, say how successful you are and how much you love animals and children.

Go and get your haircut and get your mother to take some good clear photos of you in a few manly poses - like hands on hips and with your head held high.

Your have no shortage of dates. If not write to single mothers or the less attractive women so you can use them to build up your conversational and social skills

Zenton, that last bit is really awful advice!!! :o

It is totally unfair to use single mothers or "less attractive women" for practice. They are people with feelings too, who have joined these dating sites in good faith. How would you like it if someone found you unattractive but used you to practise on for when they contact better-looking candidates?!

OP, don't contact any women on dating sites unless they are women you would genuinely like to go out with.