Options

New York City - booking tips

BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
Forum Member
✭✭
I know that there will be previous threads about travelling to NYC, so apologies for this! Having last been to New York nearly nine years ago for our honeymoon, my wife has just been given some cash from her family and its enough to get us back for a week!

But I am out of touch with travelling and websites that could be the best places to book through, so anyone that has been recently and can offer advice would be welcome to post. We are not madly clever about this kind of thing and would ideally be after a straight package deal, although if there are easy ways to cut costs, I am open to that as well.

In the past, I have been to both a budget hostel type place [ when I traveled alone ] and a decent hotel for the honeymoon. For this one, I think we'd be happy somewhere in the middle....it will be my wife and I and two boys, 17 and 8...so as long as its fairly central and clean, that'll be good enough!

So...to sum up....any NYC specific travel websites....or tips on places to search....bring them on!

Comments

• Options
    radrad Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I went to NYC earlier this year, I found the TripAdvisor forums very helpful - there is a specific New York forum if you search for it.

I booked my hotel and flights on the British Airways website, but flew with American Airlines.

When you've decided what you're going to do, its a good idea to book tickets online before you go. I'd booked tickets for the 9/11 site, Empire State Building and an evening coach tour which helped to cut down on queuing time.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check out Expedia and Travelocity, they'll come up with various flight plus hotel packages.
    Whatever suits your budget and time frame, personally, being quite familiar with NYC, I'll often book a flight, then do the accommodation separately.
    That way you can often get a break on an apartment, or studio rental as opposed to a hotel.
    With Expedia and Travelocity you can choose to be offered accommodation in various areas, Midtown, Lower Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island etc.
    Obviously if you want to DO the sights then go for Midtown, somewhere between 24th St. and 72nd. St., between either 1st. Ave and 10th. Ave., or stretch it out to between the FDR Drive and 12th. Ave.
  • Options
    Joelious_OsmanJoelious_Osman Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Your Save a lot of money flying into Canada and taking a Bus to NYC. (Megabus)
    Also Check out Niagara falls on the way.

You also Don't need an ESTA doing it that way.

for hotels check out the article below
    http://www.newyork.com/articles/hotels/10-top-family-friendly-hotels-in-nyc-43337/
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to go up the Statue of Liberty you need to book that well in advance. I went to New York this April, booked in January and the statue was all booked up for the week we were there even that far in advance.

If you just want to visit the island though, then that dosent need advance tickets but you can get it as part of the many combo deals to see all the big sites.

The only thing we booked before getting there were tickets to see Wicked as we knew it was popular and wanted decent seats. Everything else we just sorted when we were there. Maybe didn't get things as cheap as we could have if we had booked in advance but we didn't want to commit ourselves to things.

We searched most of the big travel sites and airlines, travel agents etc and for the hotel we wanted and when we wanted to go, bookings.com had the best deal. Doesn't mean to say it will be for you though, just takes a bit of leg work to get the deal you want.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your Save a lot of money flying into Canada and taking a Bus to NYC. (Megabus)
    Also Check out Niagara falls on the way.

You also Don't need an ESTA doing it that way.

for hotels check out the article below
    http://www.newyork.com/articles/hotels/10-top-family-friendly-hotels-in-nyc-43337/

In what way? if anything Canada tends to be more expensive to fly into, purely because there is very little competition on these routes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spent all of 20 minutes Looking but have been to both Toronto and NYC before. many times before.

Cheapest Flight Round Trip
    1st December Return 5th December
    London Gawick - Toronto Air Transit £369 - 365
    Toronto - New York Bus Cost £50
    London - New York City United Airlines Non Stop £891

Average Cheap fares Below
    London - Toronto £369 - £365
    London - NYC
    £520 - £560 seemed the Most common and one as low as £430 rare.

Cheapest Bus
    Can be as low as 1 Dollar found a fare for £30

With enough people Renting a car may be option as well.

The other benefit is Flying into the US Customs is a lot worse than Flying into Canadian Customs. Crossing the Land border is a lot better for US than Flying in.
    Don't have to Deal with TSA which is big plus in my book.
    You Don't need ESTA for US Either when crossing land border.
    Only required to complete the paper I-94W form

Niagara Falls is on the way to NYC from Toronto.\

Don't ask me why it is cheaper to flyer to Canada though.
    Might because business travel. or the fact Toronto further north.
    Lot more Flights to NYC.
  • Options
    RootsFranRootsFran Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A hotel near the subway is most important, the sights are all spread out so absolutely no need to be in Midtown.

A good budget option is Long Island City, Queens, it is near the 7 line and only 10 minutes to midtown Manhattan, just across the river.

Make use of the 7 day unlimited subway and bus Metrocard, the best bargain in NYC, and try lots of new food, avoid chain restaurants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spent all of 20 minutes Looking but have been to both Toronto and NYC before. many times before.

Cheapest Flight Round Trip
    1st December Return 5th December
    London Gawick - Toronto Air Transit £369 - 365
    Toronto - New York Bus Cost £50
    London - New York City United Airlines Non Stop £891

Average Cheap fares Below
    London - Toronto £369 - £365
    London - NYC
    £520 - £560 seemed the Most common and one as low as £430 rare.

Cheapest Bus
    Can be as low as 1 Dollar found a fare for £30

With enough people Renting a car may be option as well.

The other benefit is Flying into the US Customs is a lot worse than Flying into Canadian Customs. Crossing the Land border is a lot better for US than Flying in.
    You Don't need ESTA for US Either.

Only because you haven't included a Sat Night in your stay, add a Sat Night in and £400 is quite common.

Or compare like for like BA/Air Canada (AC is £1009 on those dates) not a charter...if you wanted to compare like for like than compare Air Transit against Norwegian.

Don't know what the big deal is with an Esta, takes a few minutes on the computer at a cost of $14.00...with a border crossing you still need to complete I-94W form and pay $6.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RootsFran wrote: »
    A hotel near the subway is most important, the sights are all spread out so absolutely no need to be in Midtown.

Absolutely. So many people think they need to be stopping in Times Square and ending up paying a fortune for the please. The subway and rail network is so good that you can easily stop further out.

I terms of sight-seeing, I always recommend that people don't try to do everything in one short trip as you will just tire yourself out dashing between places and not relaxing and enjoying yourself. Better to pick a few things then save some others for another time. Like many big cities, some of the best experiences can be found by just wandering around and see what you come across.

Top of the Rock is better than the Empire State Building. It's not as high, but it isn't as busy and I think the view is better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Only because you haven't included a Sat Night in your stay, add a Sat Night in and £400 is quite common.

Or compare like for like BA/Air Canada (AC is £1009 on those dates) not a charter...if you wanted to compare like for like than compare Air Transit against Norwegian.

Don't know what the big deal is with an Esta, takes a few minutes on the computer at a cost of $14.00...with a border crossing you still need to complete I-94W form and pay $6.

Norwegian Air is still mostly more expensive and you have to pay an extra £50 for a meal and checked Luggage.
    You Don't have to on Air Transit.
    I am mostly concerned with the Overall Price, Experience of the Trip and how nice it was. I don't care if its charter or not.

Questioning and Customs checks Etc Flying into US is just Terrible and how long it takes. Not as bad at land border. Flying into Canada is a lot better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norwegian Air is still mostly more expensive and you have to pay an extra £50 for a meal and checked Luggage.

Questioning and Customs checks Etc Flying into US is just Terrible and how long it takes. Not as bad at land border. Flying into Canada is a lot better.

You haven't mentioned that it is a 12 hour bus trip from Toronto to New York each way, so you actually lose a whole 24 hours, plus you maybe hanging around at Toronto for your bus. Best option is try to include a sat night in your stay and fly to New York that way you will get fares for about £400.00 maybe less and not lose 24 hours travelling.

Your dates for example you wouldn't actually get into New York until the 2nd and then would have to leave on the 4th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dates are examples.

You only lose 24 hours if Travel during the day. if you take it overnight you save money. and sleep on the Bus. Last time I went to NYC this what I did. flew to Toronto Spent day there took Bus to the Falls took night bus to NYC. spent a few days in NYC. and took Bus Back (from DC) all for less than flying to NYC.

or you Can rent car roadtrip it and see the Many sights on the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Customs/border control didn't take long at all when we flew into JFK. Was much quicker than we expected and contrary to popular belief all of the staff we encountered were lovely and friendly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dates are examples.

You only lose 24 hours if Travel during the day. if you take it overnight you save money. and sleep on the Bus. Last time I went to NYC this what I did. flew to Toronto Spent day there took Bus to the Falls took night bus to NYC. spent a few days in NYC. and took Bus Back (from DC) all for less than flying to NYC.

or you Can rent car roadtrip it and see the Many sights on the way.

But you can get indirect flights to New York for about £350 - £360 taking a total of 12 hours, still less time than your way, so why would you bother, unless you wanted to see Toronto or The Falls, you just wouldn't as it wouldn't make sense unless it was a hell of a lot cheaper and it isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Customs/border control didn't take long at all when we flew into JFK. Was much quicker than we expected and contrary to popular belief all of the staff we encountered were lovely and friendly.

Must admit I have never had any trouble with US Customs, doesn't really take that long at all, flew to Boston last year and that took about 30 minutes including disembarking the plane and getting luggage.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit I have never had any trouble with US Customs, doesn't really take that long at all, flew to Boston last year and that took about 30 minutes including disembarking the plane and getting luggage.

Boston is generally very good these day (it used to be terrible until the international terminal was rebuilt) but it does depend on the schedule. If you land just behind to fully loaded 747s then the queue is going to be longer than if you are the on the first plane.

If visiting NYC then a good idea is to fly into Boston, spend a 2-3 days there then get the train (or bus) down to New York. You can then fly home from JFK/Newark
  • Options
    BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments, lots to take in! I think it can be a bit like buying a car or something else expensive....there are so many ways of doing things, you can almost go mad looking at every option! We just want the very simplest way of getting there and back really - as mentioned, one of the boys is only 8, I can't see him wanting an overnight bus trip down from Canada....thanks muchly for doing the research on that though :-)

I will have a good look at a couple of the websites mentioned above and see if anyone has done a similar trip, I can probably handle booking flights and accommodation separately, although ideally an all in one would be better, unless it turned out much more expensive.

Having been before, I have a good idea about not trying to do too much in the time we have, however, the two boys will not have been and I want to find out what they would like to see. I'll look at Top Of The Rock as an alternative to the Empire State Building, I've been up there twice and not sure the 8 year old will fancy such a long queue!

Accommodation - happy with something like a 3 star place, as long as its clean and safe and not too far out. I personally would love to visit a Blues club while I'm there which may mean leaving the 17 year old to 'kid sit' for that night! Interesting maybe to look at Long Island City and popping over via the Subway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a hotel recommendation, at the moment The Wyndham New Yorker which is a superior 3 star has had some good rates, it is in a good location and also the rooms are a good size, which is something New York struggles with.

A lot of people recommend booking separately to save a little bit of money (and to be honest it isn't always the case that it's cheaper), just bear in mind this doesn't offer you the financial protection like a package would, also not all travel insurance's recognise it as a complete booking either and may not insure all parts.

If you go down this route just think of the scenarios, for example if your flight was cancelled due to bad weather/ash clouds etc.. then your accommodation is still booked depending on the rate you have paid this might be non refundable.
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do want to visit the Empire State Building you can book in advance on line, you can also pay extra for a express pass that allows you to avoid the queues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We did both the empire state and top of the rock. Enjoyed both but agree TOTR has better views. We didn't find queuing for ES too bad, was about 30 minutes or so. Lots of walking round all the empty queue lines. I could see you being queued for hours if it was very busy.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a hotel recommendation, at the moment The Wyndham New Yorker which is a superior 3 star has had some good rates, it is in a good location and also the rooms are a good size, which is something New York struggles with.

I stayed there the other year for Christmas with my other half and can recommended it. It's a nice hotel, nothing too special. But the rooms were a decent size and of course clean. I emailed in advance and they upgraded us for free to a room with an amazing view of the Empire State building which is only a few blocks away.

As for location its perfect. Really close to Penn Station where you can get the train all the way to JFK. Across from it is Madison Square Garden and Times Square is only a 5min walk away.

On the corner of the hotel is the Tick Tock diner which gets really busy at the weekends but is great. We went there a few times for breakfast (use the entrance via the hotel lobby and not the main entrance, you get seated quicker.) and also went a couple of times at 3am after a night out :D

As for Empire State vs Top of the Rock, I would say Top of the Rock. There was no queue and the view is amazing. Plus I liked the viewing platform a lot more, was more room and because of the split levels, the higher level doesn't have any high glass blocking your view.
  • Options
    JennyAmponsahJennyAmponsah Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I've just recently come back from New York 2 weeks ago - myself, my parents, 2 brothers and sister stayed in the Holiday Inn New York - quite a reasonable price, and the hotel was very clean and pleasant - also, it's a 2 minute walk from the nearest subway, so we were able to get into the heart of New York City (Times Square etc), fairly easily.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I went I stayed in Brooklyn as that was were my daughter was living at the time, I like staying in Manhattan, but it's cheaper outside so if your on a budget it's worth considering.
    As the trains run all the time, travel isn't really a problem.
    The Staton Island Ferry is free and even if your visiting Liberty Island it's nice to see the statue from the distance, really enjoyed the ferry ride as well.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I were going to New York for a week, the last thing I would want to be doing is spending an entire day on a bus getting to/from Toronto.

Anyway - perhaps less useful if the OP is going to be flying from London, but if you're starting off elsewhere in the country it might be worth looking into Aer Lingus via Dublin. I've had a couple of really well-priced flights into JFK with them over the last couple of years. Also has the bonus of the US pre-clearence facility at Dublin.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »

When I went back in 1998 it took 3 hours to clear customs ( they were very rude ), then an hour and a half wait for a taxi. It was also an unholy mess of a place so I guess it's improved somewhat since then