Parcel holding etiquette?

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
This should be good.... :D

So, a neighbour seems to be in the process of doing all his xmas shopping on-line and, as a result, we've ended-up taking in, literally, dozens of parcels for him over the last couple of weeks.
At the moment we've got 8 or 9 parcels in the hall for him, which have accumulated over the last couple of days.

Just thought it might be fun to find out what DSers think is the appropriate etiquette for this sort of scenario?

As the recipient, do I have a duty to take the parcels over to my neighbour every day, every couple of days or should I just hang onto them until he shows up?
Is there some kind of limit that on-line shoppers should apply when buying to ensure surrogate receivers don't get annoyed?
Is there some "saturation point" where good-will should be retracted and a person should refuse to receive any more parcels?
Should I expect some reward for my helpful actions?

FWIW, our local postie lives a few doors from us and when I've had deliveries, he's been happy to leave them at his own house and then he pops around with them in the evening (for which he gets a bottle of whiskey at xmas) so I guess there's a fair bit of good-will there which I don't want to damage.

The other thing is that, when he's popped around to collect stuff so far, he's been surprised to find that there's been a heap of stuff waiting for him because it seems that the postie/courier hasn't bothered to leave him a card saying a delivery was attempted.

Only yesterday, a courier dropped a couple of parcels off for him and, after he'd gone, the neighbour popped over, said he'd seen the FedEx van outside and wondered if it'd been something for him.
He's had quite a few deliveries from FedEx and it's always been the same guy and it looks like he's decided to drop stuff at my house by default, rather than even attempting to deliver it to the owner now.

All a bit "first world problems" and I guess it'll stop after xmas anyway but it's a bit of a nuisance when your hallway's full of other people's parcels.:blush:

Comments

• franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's got a cheek to be honest. One or two parcels, if he's unavoidably out, is another matter - in my block of flats we do take in parcels if the couriers get no answer but to have it done on a regular basis I would find it rude. He must have an idea when these parcels are to arrive, yes?

Thing is most couriers will accept an alternative address, if say you're working, so why not ask him to do that?
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One man's incorrectly delivered parcels is another man's fuel for the fire this Xmas :D Hasn't failed me yet, as a rule.

My house, my parcel.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the courier is lazily dropping everything with you instead of even trying the neighbour's house, or is not leaving cards, that is a problem and the neighbour should take it up with the carrier. If he doesn't have the nous or can't be bothered to do it, he isn't that considerate a neighbour and you may need to think about doing it yourself.

I had a spate of parcels for a neighbour for a while and when he came over to collect them, he did explain and apologise etc and then I got a thank you note as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    One man's incorrectly delivered parcels is another man's fuel for the fire this Xmas :D Hasn't failed me yet, as a rule.

Nice one Santa ;-)
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I'm just watching the BBC evening news. Tell your neighbour about click and collect. It looks dead easy and convenient. I'd be mortified if one of my neighbours had to take in more than one parcel for me.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Wait for the person to come to you.

I had an Amazon delivery the other week and they delivered it to someone in our street, I would much prefer it if they didn't do this as I feel bad disturbing the other person.

You could always not accept the deliveries as it does sound like your house is filling up!
  • HBBHBB Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Literally dozens ( that means more than 25) in the last 14 days, is that actually true?

Anyway, I'd keep them until he calls for them. The parcel people should leave him a note that they've left the parcel with you.
    When he next comes to collect a parcel tell him that your a bit of a mean spirited type who resents doing a tiny kindness for a neighbour and that he should be clear when ordering on line what arrangements he has in place for delivery when he is out that exclude you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HBB wrote: »
    Literally dozens ( that means more than 25) in the last 14 days, is that actually true?

Anyway, I'd keep them until he calls for them. The parcel people should leave him a note that they've left the parcel with you.
    When he next comes to collect a parcel tell him that your a bit of a mean spirited type who resents doing a tiny kindness for a neighbour and that he should be clear when ordering on line what arrangements he has in place for delivery when he is out that exclude you.

Why's it "mean spirited" to not want your hall filled with other people's deliveries? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Why's it "mean spirited" to not want your hall filled with other people's deliveries? :confused:

That's a ridiculous question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why is it?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you would rather not take them in, then you should tell the parcel company, just explain that you're not always around or work from home and it's not convenient or you would prefer not to.

Bear in mind though that the more you help neighbours the more they might be willing to help you when your car battery is flat or looking out for you.

If it is all the time then I wouldn't do it, but if it's just in the run up to Christmas I don't see the harm.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your neighbour doesn't have control of where the delivery guy leaves the parcel. That decision is made between the courier and the Good Samaritan neighbour. That's why I don't hold with the idea suggested in this thread "My house, my parcel"

The opportunity is always there for the Good Samaritan to say "No", and there's no shame in that. No one is obliged to take in a parcel for a neighbour. It's a courtesy, but one that shouldn't be abused; either by the delivery guy, or by the neighbour expecting that good old No.## will oblige.

However, once a parcel has been taken in then it's between the neighbours to sort things out. There has to be some recognition of the service that has been provided. After all, saving the neighbour the hassle of calling to a depot to collect, or having to arrange a redelivery does save quite a bit of time.

I get a lot of deliveries too. I try to schedule them for my office day when I know I'll be here, but there's always going to be those times when that's not possible. Most times it's my elderly neighbour who takes stuff in. It's then my duty to go and collect. We are good neighbours anyway. I've helped him with DIY stuff and my wife cooks and bakes so we take them pies cakes and biscuits. They treat my son like a grandchild. The quid pro quo works well.

Very occasionally other neighbours take stuff in. During the course of the year I might help them out too with little jobs. If not, then a tin of Roses and a thank you card seems to suffice. If one of my neighbours was being bombarded though then I'd certainly make sure that they knew there was something in it for them as a thank you.

The situation for you as the receiver is different of course. So the answer is how you broach the subject of a consideration. Maybe bare faced cheek "My wife says there'd etter be a bottle of vodka in it for us. She likes Grey Goose"
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid we don't all live in a huge mansion and employ servants to take care of these things.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I read the title parcel holding etiquette I thought for a moment we would be talking about the correct way to hold a parcel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you even accepting them in the first place? I have a nice arrangement with a neighbour who we've been on good terms with for a dozen+ years. I'll take theirs & they'll take ours.

I'll take 1 other neighbour's packages if the courier knocks, but anyone else, I just refuse.
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I read the title parcel holding etiquette I thought for a moment we would be talking about the correct way to hold a parcel.

So did I. I was thinking oh for God's sake is this something else that I have to learn.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Just say No. After doing it a couple of times enough is enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I'm afraid we don't all live in a huge mansion and employ servants to take care of these things.

I think opening the door once a day to store up to two parcels can be achieved in a very moderately sized home without the need for domestic help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I must confess I did also. I feared my gauche parcel holding skills were about to be revealed to the world of DS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Why is it?

Followed by a silly one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Followed by a silly one.

Predictable, if nothing else.
  • busy_beebusy_bee Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends on the attitude of the neighbour.

I took in loads of parcels for my neighbour for a while, I didn't mind to start with until he began to not answer the door to the postman, even when he was in. Windows open, music on, I could SEE him out the window. But he couldn't be bothered to get up and get the door. So the postman would come to me. Multiple times a day.

It ended with us having a row, because I don't mind taking things in when neighbours are out, but when someone is just lazy, it is very annoying! He also expected me to take all the stuff round to him.

Now, I would seriously think twice about it.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think opening the door once a day to store up to two parcels can be achieved in a very moderately sized home without the need for domestic help.

Op stated 8 or 9 parcels, of unspecified size.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Well what I would really like to know is whether Si has had a wee peak to see what is in these parcels? A wee torn bit here and there, really don't know how that happened. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Op stated 8 or 9 parcels, of unspecified size.

Even so, let's accept this is the case ( instead of acknowledging it's exaggerated for effect) any normal hallway can cope with a few parcels of average size.
    If they were gargantuan I'm sure that would have been included in the OP.

Now, as I said , and you seem to be foolishly disputing, that's manageable without a grand entrance hall and a butler.

There's really nothing more to say, but I shan't be surprised if you tried