Secret secret menu?

mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone else found the secret secret Foxsat menu? When in the secret menu, press the same colour sequence again (RGYBGYB) and another menu, helpfully called 'hidden menu', comes up. It's actually useful for people like me who dislike the 'press red' button that appears when you change channel, because you can disable MHEG in there. Thought I'd pass this on for other irritating-message-averse types.

It also has a VERY DANGEROUS looking 'select EEPROM number' (or words to that effect) option which seems bring up an editable box. I suspect you could brick your machine playing with it, so beware. Could Bob_Cat perhaps tell us what it's for?

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But would disabling MHEG not also disable getting ITV HD as well as all the other MHEG interactive options?
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    No doubt but it would get rid of the irritating "press red". I've had a thought - new thread coming up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heh, "all the other MHEG interactive options" (my emphasis).

I can't remember the last time I pressed the red button for anything, so aside from the ITV HD issue, this would be useful for me, thanks.
  • mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aah---good point! :eek:

Well, it'll stay off till ITV HD arrives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TimmyRaa wrote: »
    Heh, "all the other MHEG interactive options" (my emphasis).

I can't remember the last time I pressed the red button for anything, so aside from the ITV HD issue, this would be useful for me, thanks.

What about all the "watch alternative event" screens on BBC for Wimbledon, Snooker, Glastonbury and the upcoming Olympics etc - hardly a useful option for watching them
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    What about all the "watch alternative event" screens on BBC for Wimbledon, Snooker, Glastonbury and the upcoming Olympics etc - hardly a useful option for watching them

I'd rather go straight there, Dave. Presumably if you go to "STB mode" and have scanned in the "i" streams you then won't get the blue "menu" DOG in the corner either. Whether you can put these in on "Freesat" mode I doubt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    mwardy wrote: »
    Has anyone else found the secret secret Foxsat menu? When in the secret menu, press the same colour sequence again (RGYBGYB) and another menu, helpfully called 'hidden menu', comes up. It's actually useful for people like me who dislike the 'press red' button that appears when you change channel, because you can disable MHEG in there. Thought I'd pass this on for other irritating-message-averse types.

It also has a VERY DANGEROUS looking 'select EEPROM number' (or words to that effect) option which seems bring up an editable box. I suspect you could brick your machine playing with it, so beware. Could Bob_Cat perhaps tell us what it's for?

I don't think that you can "brick" your machine. If the worst happens then you could do a factory reset from the settings menu. The"hidden menu" is a function that is available to the the rest of Europe on most platforms. Humax have decided to become a "nanny" and disable this for the UK public because they think that the uk public are too dumb to be able to have the choice to select other european satelltes. I personally think that this may contravene EU law.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,494
    Forum Member
    deejay wrote: »
    I don't think that you can "brick" your machine. If the worst happens then you could do a factory reset from the settings menu. The"hidden menu" is a function that is available to the the rest of Europe on most platforms.

Hidden service menus are hidden right across the world, for good reason - it's for service engineers, NOT the public - and on much equipment it's perfectly possible to render it totally useless.
    Forum Member
    Hidden service menus are hidden right across the world, for good reason - it's for service engineers, NOT the public - and on much equipment it's perfectly possible to render it totally useless.

Nigel I was talking about the hidden diseqc menu. Sorry, I am now going to try the other "hidden menu". How many other hidden menus are there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my DTT box has an hidden menu to change menu colours is something similar availble on the humax? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But the "press red" times out after 15 seconds OR immediately if you press "green".
    Forum Member

Is this real? I have tried rgyb followed by gyb. This does not give any other menu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deejay wrote: »
    Is this real? I have tried rgyb followed by gyb. This does not give any other menu.

It works for me. You have to be in the first secret menu to start with, which it sounds like you are, but I noticed it does take two goes sometimes, or perhaps you just have to be in the secret menu for a couple of seconds before you try it.
    This is with s/w 1.00.03--don't know if that makes any difference. Don't know if you have to be in non-freeview mode first.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,743
    Forum Member
    It works - but is it really worth messing if you don't need to?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the "press red" times out after 15 seconds OR immediately if you press "green".

Great feature, Freeview built into my Panasonic TV leaves them onscreen all the time :(

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this BBC only (i.e. Green button for off)?

On my Freeview Humax 9200T box this works for BBC but I haven't been able to get it to work on other channels (can't remember which channel though).
    Forum Member
    It works for me. You have to be in the first secret menu to start with, which it sounds like you are, but I noticed it does take two goes sometimes, or perhaps you just have to be in the secret menu for a couple of seconds before you try it.
    This is with s/w 1.00.03--don't know if that makes any difference. Don't know if you have to be in non-freeview mode first.

I can get to antenna setting and manual tune menu, but as yet I can't go any further. I will try in non freesat mode.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well..if you damage the box through tinkering...you can always take it back and get a replacement :p
  • 2002morpheus2002morpheus Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Pardon me, could you possibly explain how to get these secret menus?

YBGBGY means nothing to me - is it a sequence of button presses?

Many thanks
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,743
    Forum Member
    If it means nothing to you - you may be better not knowing.
  • anthony47anthony47 Posts: 466
    Forum Member

Many thanks

Just use the coloured text buttons
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many thanks

(R)ed, (Y)ellow, (G)reen, (B)lue.
  • 2002morpheus2002morpheus Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Oh Silly Morpheus!

It's simply when you put it like that!

Thanks
  • anthony47anthony47 Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Oh Silly Morpheus!

It's simply when you put it like that!

Thanks

Take great care if your colour blind, lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morpheus: You should have pressed the blue button... :D