Tear in the eye just watched The End of Time

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing that always gets me is the scene in the Christmas Invasion, at the end when 10 takes hold of Rose's hand and says "It's going to be fantastic". It feels so sad because it reminds me of 9.

I really liked that moment, it was poignant - made me sad and happy at the same time. I loved the way it was used to reassure Rose that The Doctor she had known was still a part of him. but it made me sad to, as I was missing Nine, and it took me a while to get used to Ten actually.....
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh I might go and watch this now I know it's on there. :)
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do know that Rose is played by an actress, who can't help aging.

Even RTD is not apparantly clever enough to know he would want those scenes in 2005 and film them then.

He could have avoided the problem though, by not including the whole horribly self indulgent scene (or indeed the whole horribly self indulgent last half hour) at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BibaNova wrote: »
    The Vincent episode is hardly mature come on that is sentimental twaddle of the highest order. Just like Grey's Anatomy and all the us tv show rubbish, indie song at the end to make you feel sad.. then rush out and buy it off itunes. Anyway my kids prefer to watch Tom Baker than Matt Smith, not my fault I've tried to get them to watch it but they've only watched up to the Weeping Angels.
    May try them on series 5 again if it gets repeated.

i feel that the use of the sing was really the mot cynicall and "you must feel sad at this okay" feeling ever i have got from Doctor Who...which is a shame because i did want to cry....I have watched the episode...and it does get better,,,but that bit in the Gallery still doesn't work...feels too forced, despite some excellent performances...its that song...its too annoying!:(

Here is hoping that your kids enjoy it better second time round:)
    I think nine's regeneration is something I will always cherish! You are right, the way he tried to make sure that Rose was safe and comfortable during the regenaration process was touching.

On similar lines, today, I enjoyed that ten was referring to Donna as his best friend. So many happy memories, and the best for me, eleven is carrying on in the same vein. I feel like the big winner in the Doctor Who game. I just love it!

Yes I really love that bit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could have avoided the problem though, by not including the whole horribly self indulgent scene (or indeed the whole horribly self indulgent last half hour) at all.

Why should he have avoided it when it fitted into what he was trying to show he Doctor do? To try and fuinally break that Time Lord Victorius stuff...and like many hae said bringing his era a full cirlce...like Moff did with his ending...in his first series....God knows what it will be like by the end of his era......

And if the likes of Five Doctors still ended up using a completely new actor to play a well known Doctor...surely RTD is allowed to use Billie who has aged only?....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    but that bit in the Gallery still doesn't work...feels too forced, despite some excellent performances...its that song...its too annoying!:(!

it doesn't work...for you! ;)

works beautfiully for me on the other hand, and as i posted in the DW fan thread the other day, it seems to have got a pretty overwhelming reaction from the DWM readers judging by the letters page...;)
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should he have avoided it when it fitted into what he was trying to show he Doctor do? To try and fuinally break that Time Lord Victorius stuff...and like many hae said bringing his era a full cirlce...
    Self indulgent back slapping rubbish.
    And if the likes of Five Doctors still ended up using a completely new actor to play a well known Doctor...surely RTD is allowed to use Billie who has aged only?....

No, because The Five Doctors should never have done that either. It didn't work. William Hartnell was the first Doctor, not Richard Hurndall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »

works beautfiully for me on the other hand, and as i posted in the DW fan thread the other day, it seems to have got a pretty overwhelming reaction from the DWM readers judging by the letters page...;)

Oh yes definitely for me!!!! :p Never ...unlike some would I suggest that that is definite way for all....like I said I have watched it a few times, and it has got beter for me except that last scene.....who knows...one day I might end up liking that song too;)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I liked it, so its not a problem from where I'm sitting.

And I presume RTD doesn't see it as a problem.

And you could have avoided the "horror" by turning it off, which you apparently chose not to do.

Your choice, your problem.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was a well written scene, I give it that. I liked the idea behind the scene but it didn't have the emotional impact for me as others have felt but that's just a personal thing. :)
  • capt.shoegazercapt.shoegazer Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Funnily enough I watched COE again last weekend and for the first time had a peep at the 'Making of...' and was surprised to hear the very same song by Athlete being used in a montage towards the end....very poignant again even in that setting especially watching poor Stephen perish and Jacks turmoil.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes definitely for me!!!! :p Never ...unlike some would I suggest that that is definite way for all....like I said I have watched it a few times, and it has got beter for me except that last scene.....who knows...one day I might end up liking that song too;)

it's odd with the song...cause i feel like it shouldn't work for me, but it does....I think it's cause the lyrics actually really suit the context of the episode if you listen to them!:)
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, because The Five Doctors should never have done that either. It didn't work. William Hartnell was the first Doctor, not Richard Hurndall.

They could hardly employ him anymore though, he had unfortunatly died. Sometimes, it's the only way. I'm not saying it's brilliant, and I would want to see a whole series, but it's bearable.

I love the Vincent scene, but then I'm a sucker for emotional scenes. The only thing that I don't understand is that some peopel who don't like emotional scenes do like the Vincent scene at the end. Surely, you cannot get more emotional than tha **goes off to watch it again**.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A bit like Moffat first series???? Not only characters...but themes like Timey Wimey...and even Words that he coined before like Timey Wimey being used in the Eleventh Hour when it made no bloody sense....just imagine what things will be like by the end of his era...and in the end if it is....who cares, they both obviously feel proud of their work....and why not...it was an overall success...

As for Hurndall...what I mean is that it happend...and that is the most extreme case of it happening...Rose is very small compared to that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He really has no dignity whatsoever when he bleats 'I don't want to go' like a little girl. No previous Doctor would have let the side down like that.

I generally enjoyed the end of time, but that line really didn't sit well.

It felt like the actor turning to camera and going "I quite enjoyed this role and I don't want to leave" *sadface*

But i was quite glad in a way, because the rest of it had been quite emotional, it killed the mood, and ment i didn't have to do the "manly cough".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit like Moffat first series???? Not only characters...but themes like Timey Wimey...and even Words that he coined before like Timey Wimey being used in the Eleventh Hour when it made no bloody sense....just imagine what things will be like by the end of his era...and in the end if it is....who cares, they both obviously feel proud of their work....and why not...it was an overall success...

As for Hurndall...what I mean is that it happend...and that is the most extreme case of it happening...Rose is very small compared to that

Isnt it about time you just stepped up and admitted that your 'Services' are perhaps a little dishonest? You clearly do not like the new era...except the fact. I have seen no one bash it on here as much as you, fairly constantly and when you do praise it oh how faint it is. At least Tingram has the courage in his own convictions to admit that he thinks RTDs era was for the most part total sh**. Why don't you unburden yourself and come clean?

Anyone who honestly thinks New Earth and Partners in Crime are better than the Eleventh Hour obviously just cannot get on with the direction Moffat has taken the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's odd with the song...cause i feel like it shouldn't work for me, but it does....I think it's cause the lyrics actually really suit the context of the episode if you listen to them!:)

Oh there is no doubt that the song lyrics matches the scenes....but it just feels so forced for me...but fingers crossed Icome round to it soon!:)
    They could hardly employ him anymore though, he had unfortunatly died. Sometimes, it's the only way. I'm not saying it's brilliant, and I would want to see a whole series, but it's bearable.

I love the Vincent scene, but then I'm a sucker for emotional scenes. The only thing that I don't understand is that some peopel who don't like emotional scenes do like the Vincent scene at the end. Surely, you cannot get more emotional than tha **goes off to watch it again**.

More confusing fan rules;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for Hurndall...what I mean is that it happend...and that is the most extreme case of it happening...

My take on it is that Hurndall did a commendable job with what he was given to do, but he wasn't really remotely in character as The First Doctor. Whether it was disrespectful or not, I don't know....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt it about time you just stepped up and admitted that your 'Services' are perhaps a little dishonest? You clearly do not like the new era...except the fact. I have seen no one bash it on here as much as you.

sorry but this is utter rubbish. Crazzyaz is one of the most fair minded posters on this whole forum, she liked quite a lot of things about the past series and has been quite happy to say so.:rolleyes:
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What was JNT supposed to do considering the fact that Hartnell was dead in 1983? I thought Hurndall gave a very good performance as the First Doctor. It was only one story after all. I'm very interested what will happen if they do have a multi-Doctor story in 2013 and how they would cover the first three Doctors, if indeed they involve them at all, as it would be a bit much to recast all three!!!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry but this is utter rubbish. Crazzyaz is one of the most fair minded posters on this whole forum, she liked quite a lot of things about the past series and has been quite happy to say so.:rolleyes:

In your humble opinion Muttley, dont forget. There are no definites on this forum after all.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    agree with all of this...and I will say that much as I was greatly moved by Ten's regeneration, nothing can top Nines regeneration scene for me....the way that Nine was so focused on making sure Rose was okay, the way he put a brave face on it, and those wonderful final words "you were fantastic, absoultaly fantastic, and you know what? So was I!"

That, for me, was RTD's best written scene in his whole era. :)

I've brought this up before and probably will again :p:D But I was so in love of the idea of when the Doctor meets Rose in 2005 at the conclusion to The End of Time he says 'Tell you what, I bet you're gonna have a really great year'. Does anyone think that he should have said something more along the lines of 'I bet it's going to be Fantastic!"? I think that nod of sentimentality to Nine would have been a nice touch, seeing as we got to bid farewell to all including the kitchen sink :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've brought this up before and probably will again :p:D But I was so in love of the idea of when the Doctor meets Rose in 2005 at the conclusion to The End of Time he says 'Tell you what, I bet you're gonna have a really great year'. Does anyone think that he should have said something more along the lines of 'I bet it's going to be Fantastic!"? I think that nod of sentimentality to Nine would have been a nice touch, seeing as we got to bid farewell to all including the kitchen sink :p

Yep that would have been nice, I wonder if Russell was reading this, if he would say " I wish I had thought of that":D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I never noticed that, that would have been a nice touch. RTD missed a trick there.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with you. Sometimes the time spend on posts is just wasted.