N Ireland

howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
Forum Member
Let the Irish have it back, costs too much.

Comments

• Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you advocate all out war OP?
  • waxcheesemanwaxcheeseman Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »
    No! The UK is small enough as it is! :eek: Also, with the threat of Scotland being independent, we really can't be doing with the UK shrinking any further! :eek:
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do you mean by "Let the Irish have it back"? Did they ever have it in the first place?
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    What do you mean by "Let the Irish have it back"? Did they ever have it in the first place?

Suppose they must have
    We didn't rule the world from the start of time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We (the Irish) don't want it back. Your problem now, Britain! (I write this quite ironically living in Britain)
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or Britain could always take back the Republic. :rolleyes:
  • waxcheesemanwaxcheeseman Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    scrilla wrote: »
    Or Britain could always take back the Republic. :rolleyes:
    Yes please! :)
  • guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should have been returned when India and parts of Arica were and so should the Malvinas Islands
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guffybear wrote: »
    It should have been returned when India and parts of Arica were and so should the Malvinas Islands
    Utter nonsense. The majority in Northern Ireland want to remain in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. The majority in Northern Ireland want to remain in the UK.

But only 40% see themselves as British according to the census.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But only 40% see themselves as British according to the census.
    From The Guardian:

"The second release of Northern Ireland census data has been published, including figures on the national identity of its population. Across the country as a whole, 48% of people considered themselves to be British, 29% Northern Irish and 28% Irish (Northern Irish could be chosen alongside British or Irish)."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2012/dec/12/northern-ireland-census-national-identities-mapped
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    From The Guardian:

"The second release of Northern Ireland census data has been published, including figures on the national identity of its population. Across the country as a whole, 48% of people considered themselves to be British, 29% Northern Irish and 28% Irish (Northern Irish could be chosen alongside British or Irish)."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2012/dec/12/northern-ireland-census-national-identities-mapped

I was going from the original information released.

Thank you for confirming it is still under 50% and therefore not a majority though. :)
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for confirming it is still under 50% and therefore not a majority though. :)
    I note that you don't comment on the surprisingly low percentage overall who consider themselves to be Irish! :D

Actually the picture is pretty much what one would expect: some areas are strongly British, some very much the opposite. In any case, though, your representation of the figures was inaccurate.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I picked Northern Irish in the same way someone would say they are Scottish or Welsh but still feel I'm part of the Uk rather than part of Ireland, from other people I've spoken to they had the same reasoning when picking Northern Irish
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I note that you don't comment on the surprisingly low percentage overall who consider themselves to be Irish! :D

Actually the picture is pretty much what one would expect: some areas are strongly British, some very much the opposite. In any case, though, your representation of the figures was inaccurate.

I've been of the opinion for a while that a United Ireland will never happen.

People in the north haven't the appetite for it because they know it will spiral, as Sun Tzu said, into another war. People are tired and just want to get on with their lives.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People in the north haven't the appetite for it because they know it will spiral, as Sun Tzu said, into another war. People are tired and just want to get on with their lives.

There is the appetite for it. Terrorism on any level is wrong, I do not condone any of, but it must be said that the IRA is much more dangerous than the Ulster terrorist organisations. They have appetite, strong leaders, money, insiders in Government, weapons, they have it all. A united Ireland is bound to happen eventually; the question is when Ulster will be willing to brace itself for a short (in the grand scheme of things), violent period that may have to be managed by the military; or if we live our lives in persistent fear of the military organisations, particularly the IRA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    There is the appetite for it.

The information from the census certainly agree to disagree with you even when it is the case that the percentage of Catholics is increasing and the percentage of Protestants is decreasing.

I know we cannot say that every Catholic wants a United Ireland and vice versa.

People just want to get on with their lives in peace.

If that is in a 'Northern Ireland' that is part of the UK then so be it.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't want to live in a United Ireland, I quite like having the NHS etc, though it does have it's faults. We also get free prescriptions, I am on a few different medications, and I'd have the idea of having to spend a chunk of my wages on health care/prescriptions when i could get them free.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is depressing that even with the 'peace process' there are still some people on both sides that want to drag the country into the past. On the whole, the country is peaceful, but there's still the occasional disturbance to let people know that these organisations are still around.

I doubt a united Ireland would happen within our lifetimes - the economic situation in Ireland couldn't support it, even if a majority did want it
  • UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Might I ask if you live in England?
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scofield wrote: »
    We (the Irish) don't want it back. Your problem now, Britain! (I write this quite ironically living in Britain)

Wrong. A Irish times poll recently said that 69% of people in the Republic said they would support a united Ireland even if it meant higher taxes, the rest said no or undecided/don't care.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't want to live in a United Ireland, I quite like having the NHS etc, though it does have it's faults. We also get free prescriptions, I am on a few different medications, and I'd have the idea of having to spend a chunk of my wages on health care/prescriptions when i could get them free.
    .. Universal Healthcare is to be introduced by 2015 and as far as I know prescription charges are only 50c per item and sickness benefit is considerably higher then the north/UK.
  • UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    .. Universal Healthcare is to be introduced by 2015 and as far as I know prescription charges are only 50c per item and sickness benefit is considerably higher then the north/UK.

I still wouldn't want to be in a united Ireland, even with that. I was born British, and would like to stay that way, despite the OP thinking it's OK to concede power because it costs so much.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guffybear wrote: »

Why the Falklands ?

Argentina were never removed from it as UK was on it before Argentina existed. :cool:
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So does Scotland and Wales maybe they should be separate also. :cool: