I just gave trick or treaters chocolate 6 months out of date

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chocolate lasts for years. No problemo. Good trick in fact. :)
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a charmant you are. You could upset their stomachs. If you dont want to join in, just dont open the friggin door.
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a stall in a market in Birmingham that sells out of date/close to date chocolate for reduced prices. He sells alot and as far as I know no one gets ill from it.
    I have eaten it with no ill effects.
    Also there is a website approved foods that sells such like chocolate and crisps (as well as other stuff) it can be out of date and is perfectly edible.
    Last week I ate salt and vinegar twirls from that site from morrissons- BB July 14. Tasted as good as new.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chocolate lasts for years. No problemo.
    phepia wrote: »
    There is a stall in a market in Birmingham that sells out of date/close to date chocolate for reduced prices. He sells alot and as far as I know no one gets ill from it.

I've had chocolate that may or may not have been in-date, but was dreadful because it'd been through too many hot and cold cycles, which turns it white, brittle and crumbly. (Left for months in a car glovebox for example.)

Other confectionery consisting of more than just chocolate will taste poor if past the best-before date (Kit-kats for example where the biscuit inside turns stale.)

So the quality can suffer, although it's unlikely someone will get ill, partly because they will spit it out if it's that bad.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    I have eaten it with no ill effects.

Well GOOD for you. Young kids do not have developed immune systems so can get ill quickly. I feel like punching this OP.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well GOOD for you. Young kids do not have developed immune systems so can get ill quickly. I feel like punching this OP.

Your not going to get ill, chocolate doesn't become out of date, it is only a best before.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    They should be grateful for what they are given. We don't get and T or T where I live now but where I lived before I did. One little group of little tykes (mini-thug offspring of local thug family) said when I tried to give them some chocolate (in date!) said, We don't like that, we want cash. I told them to pee off!!!
    What was the resultant "trick", then?
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do you think the chocolate is infected with?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to laxative chocolate? It always used to be a favourite for trick or treaters.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Your not going to get ill, chocolate doesn't become out of date, it is only a best before.

I'm surprised so many people still don't know the difference between a best before date and a use by date. It's been well publicised for a few years now.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Chocolate is not harmful six months after best before date . It really isnt an issue
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? :confused:
    zak_g wrote: »
    Yes, why?:confused:

Turned the oven off after 10 mins ( thought that would have been long enough). Said fish fingers looked cooked on the outside, but were cold on the inside. I was hungry and couldn't be asked to switch the grill back on, so down the hatchet they went :-)
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It wasn't young kids, they go to secondary school
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    ... and couldn't be asked to switch ...
    Please tell me that was a typo.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're being alarmist and over reacting ! Old chocolate won't make you ill - it may taste a little less nice but it won't do you any harm.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get over yerself!
    By the time they can knock on doors begging they will have eaten all sorts of crap inadvertently or deliberately.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    How can you have chocolate 6 months out of date

I have enough trouble getting it home :p
    It's like that well used cooking ingredient "left over wine".
    What the hell is that?
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Whatever happened to laxative chocolate? It always used to be a favourite for trick or treaters.

what if they are constipated with all the crap kids eat laxative chocolate wouldn't be so bad for them
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if its a best before date it's fine.

its only a health danger issue if it says use by
  • LONERIDER37LONERIDER37 Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats a tad OTT isn't it. I'm sure if there is a problem with the chocolate after one taste the kids(possibly teenagers if they wanted money!) will just spit it out and not eat it.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    In my world, there's no such thing as 'out of date chocolate'. I do not comprehend.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A strange reaction. Over reaction much?
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats like not offering a kid a job because one has no experience, how exactly are the little ***** supposed to build said immune system if you don't let them get ill once in a while?

Good on you OP I think we all ought to buy chocolates now for the next 10 years of Halloween and together we'll save the NHS!
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    Thats like not offering a kid a job because one has no experience, how exactly are the little ***** supposed to build said immune system if you don't let them get ill once in a while?

Good on you OP I think we all ought to buy chocolates now for the next 10 years of Halloween and together we'll save the NHS!

Except the kids immune system won't be challenged by chocolate that it's past its best before date, because best before doesn't mean it's unsafe to eat.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just gave trick or treaters chocolate 6 months out of date
    topcat3 wrote: »
    is that bad?

No, not bad at all, it was just a trick:D

They could been infected with lottachocolitus because of you actions:(